Notícia

Peter Demill - História

Peter Demill - História

Peter Demill

(Latido: t. 300)

Peter Demill, um navio mercante comprado pela Marinha em New London, Connecticut, em 9 de novembro de 1861 para uso na "Frota de Pedra", foi encalhado com a América do Sul e Cossack em 8 de dezembro de 1861 para servir de cais durante o desembarque de tropas em Tybee Ilha, Gal, na foz do rio Savannah.


Mergulho na Ilha Tybee, GA

Tybee Island, uma ilha barreira altamente acessível localizada ao longo da costa atlântica da Geórgia, fica a apenas 18 milhas a leste do centro de Savannah. Os turistas vêm em massa durante os meses de clima quente para aproveitar todas as recreações aquáticas que Tybee tem a oferecer, sendo o mergulho um dos mais populares. Mergulhadores de todos os níveis de experiência são expostos a uma aventura subaquática que inclui vastos recifes artificiais, escarpas dramáticas, uma riqueza de vida marinha e numerosos naufrágios prontos para exploração.


Peter Demill - História

Cecil Blount DeMille foi o fundador da indústria cinematográfica de Hollywood, um dos diretores-produtores de maior sucesso comercial de sua época e um dos cineastas mais influentes da história. Entre 1914 e 1956, ele fez setenta longas-metragens, mas sete foram lucrativos. Cecil B. DeMille é sinônimo de epopeias religiosas: O rei dos Reis, Samson e Delilah, e Os dez Mandamentos (1956). Ele combinou espetáculo, sexo e narrativa fascinante para transmitir uma mensagem de fé.

Foi DeMille quem criou a imagem do diretor onipotente, megafone na mão, botas e boné com viseira. DeMille deu a Hollywood inúmeras estrelas: Wallace Reid, Gloria Swanson, William (“Hopalong Cassidy”) Boyd, Claudette Colbert, Robert Preston, Jean Arthur e Charlton Heston.

DeMille criou as postagens de editor de histórias de estúdio, diretor de arte e artista conceitual. Ele foi um dos primeiros a usar iluminação teatral em um set de filmagem. No final dos anos 1920, quando Hollywood se converteu em filmes sonoros, DeMille desafiou os especialistas em som, liberando a câmera de uma cabine restrita e implementando o boom do microfone.

A autoridade de DeMille se estendeu além dos limites de seu estúdio. Ele era uma potência na aviação, no setor bancário, na política e no mercado imobiliário. Nos anos 1930, sua fama como cineasta foi superada por sua fama como estrela do rádio.

Ele foi o fundador da Academia de Artes e Ciências Cinematográficas, instituição da qual acabou ganhando dois prêmios. Em 1953 seu filme O Maior Espetáculo da Terra ganhou o prêmio de melhor filme de 1952 e foi presenteado com o Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award.

A influência de DeMille na cultura mundial é incalculável, mas existem estimativas e marcos. Sua biografia de Jesus Cristo, O rei dos Reis, era um filme mudo, mas devido a um arranjo de distribuição exclusivo, acabou sendo visto por 800 milhões de telespectadores. Samson e Delilah (1949) e Os dez Mandamentos (1956) ainda estão listados entre os dez melhores campeões de bilheteria de todos os tempos. Eles continuam gerando receita e provocando reflexões.

Direção de Cecil B. DeMille Os dez Mandamentos no Egito, novembro de 1954. Retrato de G.E. Richardson

Cecil B. DeMille, a imagem do diretor de Hollywood. Retrato de Witzel

Nascimento e linhagem

Cecil B. DeMille nasceu em 12 de agosto de 1881, em Ashfield, Massachusetts. Seu pai, Henry de Mille, nasceu em Washington, Carolina do Norte, de ascendência holandesa e inglesa. Henry foi um ministro leigo episcopal e um dramaturgo de sucesso.

A mãe de DeMille nasceu Beatrice Samuels, filha de pais judeus alemães em Londres, mas foi criada em Nova York. Antes de seu casamento com Henry de Mille, ela se converteu à fé episcopal protestante. Beatrice era uma educadora e mais tarde se tornou a segunda corretora de jogos do sexo feminino na América.

Cecil tinha um irmão mais velho William (nascido em 1878) e uma irmã Agnes (1891-1895).


Domingo, 29 de janeiro de 2017

Robert J. Young - Marido de Dorothy Rasmussen

Por muitos anos, fiquei perplexo com o que aconteceu com Robert J. Young, que teria sido por tio. Até recentemente, ele permanecia um enigma. A única coisa que eu realmente sabia era que ele era o primeiro marido da tia Dorothy & # 8217s (Dot). Minha única outra ligação com ele foi através de uma foto de casamento envelhecida de minha tia Lillian Rasmussen com seu noivo John White. O filho de John & # 8217 confirmou comigo anos mais tarde que Robert e Dorothy foram o padrinho e dama de honra naquele casamento, todos mostrados na foto abaixo.

Após a morte de Dorothy Parker nee Rasmussen, mais conhecida pela maioria da família como tia Dot, minha mãe (Lois J. Muller nee O & # 8217Neal) foi ajudar meu tio a limpar seus pertences pessoais. No momento de sua morte, a maioria de seus pertences ainda estava com Robert Muller em Fort Lauderdale, Flórida. Como quis o destino, minha mãe acabou com algumas peculiaridades da Tia Dot & # 8217s, incluindo renda vintage e roupas íntimas. Entre esses itens estavam cartas de seu primeiro marido, Robert J. Young. Ainda em boas condições, tia Dot guardou essas cartas por mais de 60 anos. Para que os originais permaneçam intactos, transcrevi seus conteúdos para que todos possam ler um pouco mais sobre suas vidas. Isso aconteceu em 2001.

Recentemente, me arrisquei em NYC.gov e solicitei a certidão de óbito de Horatio Young, que morreu em 1930. Em minhas pesquisas iniciais, anos atrás, recebi uma nota de que Robert pode ter um possível nome do meio de Horatio, então pensei Eu arriscaria. Sabemos que Robert já havia morrido em 1930, conforme indicado no Censo de 1930, mostrando a esposa Dorothy como viúva, então pensei que este certificado poderia ser promissor. No entanto, quando recebi o certificado, descobri que essa pessoa estava listada como solteira no momento da morte, então isso descartou Robert. Mas, isso revigorou minha pesquisa sobre Robert e eu revisitei aquelas cartas que foram preservadas por tia Dot e comecei a extrair nomes e informações delas. Em seguida, adicionei essas informações às minhas pesquisas no Ancestry.com e finalmente consegui entender um pouco mais sobre ele.

Isso é o que foi revelado & # 8230

Robert J Young nasceu em 1901/02. Ele era filho de Horatio Nelson e Kathryn Young. Ele tinha 5 irmãos Emily, Marion, Horatio, Maud e Ruth. Ironicamente, o atestado de óbito em que arrisquei era o irmão de Robert & # 8217s & # 8217s, Horatio! Nas cartas de tia Dot, Robert freqüentemente se referia a Maud, Ruth e Emily. Foram esses, nomes de seus irmãos, que uma vez adicionados à pesquisa, consegui fazer a conexão. Outras informações que surgiram incluíram que Robert e seu pai Horatio eram policiais, Horatio sendo capitão, e que Horatio está enterrado no Cemitério Moravian em New Dorp, Staten Island.

Em sua carta & # 8217s a Dot, torna-se rapidamente evidente que Robert estava doente com algo & # 8230 mais provável de tuberculose, embora ele também se refira & # 8217como o gás me afetou & # 8221 em uma carta posterior, e não poderia retornar sem a polícia pedido. Suas cartas contêm muitas referências a pessoas desconhecidas, mas outras incluem & # 8216Ma & # 8217 e Jack, que acredito agora ser Aaselie Dorothy Rasmussen (Ma) e John Gallagher. John (Jack) Gallagher também se tornaria o padrinho de Robert Muller e # 8217s. Essas percepções tornaram-se claras quando reexamei o Registro do Censo de Nova York de 1925, que mostra Dorothy (Ma), Lillian, Robert, Dorothy (Dot) e John Gallagher, todos morando na 70 State Street.


Peter Demill - História

quatro e está enterrado no cemitério de Manti. Freeborn DeMill morreu em Manti, em 23 de janeiro de 1881, aos oitenta e cinco anos e foi enterrado no cemitério de Manti ao lado de sua esposa. Em 3 de maio de 1856, Freeborn DeMill se casou com uma segunda esposa com o nome de Lynittee Janett Richards e dois filhos nasceram. Orrin, nascido em 29 de janeiro de 1858, Manti, Utah, e Benjamin, nascido em 23 de janeiro de 1860, em Manti, Utah. Em seu registro, ele relata que um morreu e o outro estava morando em Efraim com sua mãe, datado de 21 de abril de 1864. Não consegui encontrar nenhum vestígio desse outro filho. Não sei se ele morreu antes da idade de casar ou não. Retirado de um livro escrito e publicado por Loren DeLance Squire. A seguir estão os trechos de um artigo publicado em The Pyramid & # 8221, data desconhecida, de David Mackey, intitulado & # 8220Lines from Hwy 89 & # 8221. & # 8220Vastas distâncias no tempo e no espaço separam as comunidades do condado de Sanpete das aldeias remotas de Rockville e Springdale. As pequenas cidades estão aninhadas entre as paredes vermelhas do cânion e o rio Virgin, na estrada sul para o desfiladeiro Zion. & # 8230 Este bolsão do planeta foi em grande parte colonizado por pessoas transplantadas de Sanpete. Colonos com sobrenomes de Petty, Black, Gifford, Brown, DeMill, Averett, Larsen, Stevens, Isaacson, Lemmon, Funk, Millet, Washburn, Klingensmith, Allred, Beal, Thaxton, Stocks, Siler, Kenner e Whitlock, estavam entre aqueles que se tornariam residentes da área. & # 8230 Foi Isaac Behunin o primeiro a reivindicar uma única reivindicação no local da atual Efraim. Quando outras pessoas começaram a invadir as terras de Sanpete imediatamente ao seu redor, teria dito a um amigo que, embora ele quisesse que ele fosse um vizinho, só havia água suficiente para uma família. Então o fundador mudou. Esse mesmo pioneiro Behunin mais tarde mudou-se com sua família para o que hoje é o Parque Nacional de Zion. Eventualmente, o pequeno assentamento conhecido como & # 8220Zion & # 8221 consistia em cerca de seis famílias, mas por várias razões a cidade deixou de existir em 1875, quando as pessoas se mudaram. & # 8230 A lápide de Oliver e Emily DeMille está entre vários parentes. DeMille nasceu em 1830 e não apenas representou os primeiros dias de Sanpete, mas seus pais, Freeborn e Anna Knight DeMill, estavam entre os primeiros a serem batizados na nova igreja fundada por Joseph Smith naquele mesmo ano. & # 8230 & # 8221


Sobre Nelson DeMille

Nelson Richard DeMille nasceu na cidade de Nova York em 23 de agosto de 1943, filho de Huron e Antonia (Panzera) DeMille, e se mudou com seus pais para Long Island. Ele se formou na Elmont Memorial High School, onde jogou futebol e correu.

DeMille passou três anos na Hofstra University, depois ingressou no Exército, onde frequentou a Official Candidate School e foi comissionado como Tenente no Exército dos Estados Unidos (1966-69). Ele entrou em ação no Vietnã como líder de pelotão de infantaria com a Primeira Divisão de Cavalaria e foi condecorado com a Medalha Aérea, Estrela de Bronze e a Cruz de Galantaria Vietnamita, e foi premiado com a Emblema de Infantaria de Combate.

Após sua dispensa, DeMille voltou para a Hofstra University, onde se formou em Ciência Política e História. Ele tem três filhos, Lauren, Alexander e James, e mora em Long Island.

O primeiro grande romance de DeMille foi Pelos Rios da Babilônia, publicado em 1978, e ainda está em impressão, assim como todos os seus romances posteriores. Ele é membro da American Mensa, The Authors Guild, e ex-presidente da Mystery Writers of America. Ele também é membro da International Thriller Writers e foi escolhido como ThrillerMaster of the Year 2015. DeMille é um curador honorário da Walt Whitman Birthplace Association e possui três doutorados honorários: Doutor em Letras Humanas da Universidade Hofstra, Doutor em Literatura de Long Island University e Doutor em Letras Humanas pelo Dowling College.

Nelson DeMille é o autor de: By the Rivers of Babylon, Cathedral, The Talbot Odyssey, Word of Honor, The Charm School, The Gold Coast, The General's Daughter, Spencerville, Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Up Country, Night Fall, Wild Fire, The Gate House, The Lion, The Panther, The Quest, Radiant Angel, The Cuban Affair, O Desertor (em coautoria com seu filho, Alex DeMille) e The Maze. Ele também foi co-autor de Mayday com Thomas Block e contribuiu com contos para antologias e resenhas de livros e artigos para revistas e jornais.


Nelson DeMille fez seu nome por ter escrito alguns livros verdadeiramente cheios de suspense, além de romper com a norma de encerrar histórias com finais típicos de filmes de Hollywood, alguns dos melhores livros da bibliografia de Nelson, incluindo o seguinte:

A filha do general: A capitã Ann Campbell não é apenas o orgulho de Fort Hadley, mas a pós-graduada de West Point também é filha do General & # 8216Fighting Joe ’Campbell. Um caso explosivamente político irrompe quando Ann é encontrada morta e nua no campo de tiro.

Paul Brenner é o investigador contratado para entender a situação. Membro de uma unidade de investigação secreta de elite, Brenner juntou-se à especialista em estupros Cynthia Sunhill para encontrar o culpado.

O fato de que Brenner e Sunhill tiveram um caso tempestuoso apenas complica as coisas e, ao investigar a Garota de Ouro de Ford Hadley, a dupla fica surpresa ao descobrir com quantas pessoas Ann estava sexual e emocionalmente envolvida.

Sob os uniformes bem passados ​​e os códigos de honra dos militares, Brenner e Sunhill começam a descobrir a corrupção.

Cada veterano do exército que leu este livro de Nelson DeMille fica chocado com a precisão de sua representação da vida nas forças armadas. O livro investiga o assassinato brutal da filha de um general, embora os acontecimentos militares rapidamente tomem o centro do palco.

Nelson deve ser elogiado por lidar com a atitude em torno das mulheres em West Point, junto com os elementos desconfortáveis ​​de corrupção que se retorcem por baixo. Há personagens no livro que são tão depravados que chocarão alguns leitores, e o problema de homens e mulheres servindo lado a lado é colocado em foco.

Deve-se notar que, por mais sombrio que as coisas fiquem, ainda há uma quantidade surpreendente de humor neste livro, especialmente as brincadeiras entre Brenner e Sunhill.

The Charm School: Há jovens agentes da KGB sendo ensinados a modelar cidadãos nos EUA por American Prisoners of War. A sinistra operação está ocorrendo no Bosque Russo em Borodino, em um lugar chamado Escola de Charme da Sra. Ivanova.

A União Soviética tem planos de se infiltrar nos Estados Unidos, e eles querem fazer isso sem serem detectados, quando um desavisado turista americano se depara com esta operação, ele põe em movimento eventos que começam a revelar a selvageria e a traição dentro da União Soviética.

The Charm School é um thriller intensamente arrepiante. O livro se move em um ritmo muito rápido e pinta uma imagem viva da vida na União Soviética. Os personagens são muito bem definidos, o segredo horrível nas profundezas da floresta cria um final incerto.

Alguns leitores reclamaram que o livro é um pouco prolixo, mas isso não tira a intriga deste thriller de espionagem. Este é o livro perfeito para quem é novo no trabalho de Nelson DeMille e que gostaria de começar a ler seus romances.


Root, P.O. Randall

Lounsbury (sic), Louis, Filho de Louis, nasceu em 6 de julho de 1813, na cidade de Onondaga, no condado de Onondaga. Seu pai era sapateiro e exercia esse negócio perto da reserva indígena. Louis se formou na Onondaga Academy e depois de deixar a escola entrou na loja de Orin Tyler, permanecendo cerca de quatro anos.

Ele então entrou em uma loja de secos e molhados em Syracuse, continuando por três anos. Em seguida, ele ensinou escolas de redação por cerca de quatro anos em várias cidades, depois dirigiu um barco no Canal Erie por vários anos. E cerca de 1850 ele localizou em Yatesville (na verdade, onde Randall está hoje, é diferente da atual Yatesville, NY) e construiu uma loja, operando por vários anos.

Ele foi superintendente do Canal Erie por três anos, e depois foi para a cidade de Nova York e tornou-se Post Warden lá de 1858 a 1885. Ele então retornou a este condado, onde vive desde então. Ele foi fundamental para o estabelecimento do correio aqui e ligou para o escritório Randall.

Seu filho, John E., foi o primeiro postmaster. Ele se casou com Mary A. Martin e teve seis filhos, cinco dos quais sobreviveram: Louis E., Helen, Elizabeth, Thurlow Weed, Louise E., Darsey E. e John Edward, William B. e George H., os três últimos morto. O Sr. Lounsbury é republicano desde que o partido foi organizado.

página 260 NOVA YORK NA REVOLUÇÃO, SUPLEMENTO

OS COMISSÁRIOS DE PERDAS

Esses Oficiais venderam os bens imóveis dos Conservadores e outros que haviam passado para o Inimigo ou eram suspeitos de não serem amigáveis ​​com a Causa Americana. Eles eram muito mais sistemáticos em suas contas do que os Comissários de Seqüestro que lidavam, em sua maior parte, com bens pessoais. Os Comissários de Confiscos também receberam e pagaram ao Tesoureiro do Estado, Certificados emitidos pelos Auditores para Liquidar e Acertar as Contas das Tropas deste Estado. Algumas das receitas dos Comissários ajudaram os Pobres. (Veja The Poor que saiu da cidade de Nova York, no Capítulo sobre "Os Congressos Provinciais").

O Comitê de Segurança, 1º de março de 1777, aprovou uma Resolução relativa aos Comissários de Confiscos. Duvidas que tenham surgido quanto ao impacto desta Resolução sobre o Tesoureiro do Estado, foi aprovada lei para afastar tais dúvidas. O Tesoureiro acusou o recebimento de mais de 9000 nos termos desta Resolução, entre 11 de maio de 1777 e 1 de julho de 1779. Isso ele descreve como "Dinheiro devido a Pessoas que estavam dentro das Linhas Inimigas, ou fora do Estado ou a Pessoas que recusou-se a receber dinheiro do Contin'l ". Durante parte de junho de 1779 e depois disso, o Tesoureiro recusou ofertas de Dinheiro Depreciado por causa de suas dúvidas a respeito da Resolução, mencionada acima.

O trabalho dos Comissários de Confiscos só começou no final da guerra. A lei de 22 de outubro de 1779 realmente deu início ao trabalho fornecendo os nomes de muitos indivíduos cujas propriedades haviam sido adquiridas. A lei de 10 de março de 1780 ordenou aos Comissários que vendessem propriedades desse tipo imediatamente. Em 12 de maio de 1784, o governador foi autorizado a nomear sete comissários. O cargo de Comissário de Forfeitures foi abolido em 21 de março de 1788 e todos os poderes relativos a ele foram dados ao Surveyor-General, Simeon De Witt. Ele tinha autoridade para vender todas as terras confiscadas ao Estado. Suas contas mostram que os compradores pagaram pelas terras em certificados desses tipos, taxa, depreciação, reclamação e principal.

A lei de 11 de abril de 1792 revogou a lei de 22 de outubro de 1779, para que os nomeados nesta última pudessem retornar, mas a lei não afetou o status de suas propriedades. Em 18 de dezembro de 1792, uma lei foi aprovada para a indenização de vários dos indivíduos cujas propriedades haviam sido tomadas.

O Tesoureiro do Estado, em agosto de 1794, declarou ter recebido 109005.11.0 em ações contra bens perdidos que haviam sido liquidados e depositados no Tesouro.

Por conveniência, o Estado foi dividido nos seguintes Distritos: - Leste, Meio, Sul e Oeste.

O Distrito Oriental incluía os condados de Charlotte, Cumberland e Gloucester. Os comissários foram David Hopkins e Alexander Webster. Eles foram pagos 24 horas por dia e foram auxiliados por muitos Avaliadores. As vendas de Hopkins, de outubro a dezembro de 1784, foram de 9982.2.0 em 1785, 6113.19.3 e, em 1787-1788, de 584.17.3. As vendas de Webster, em 1786, foram de 4160.4,7 e 21149.10.1. O valor de suas vendas conjuntas foi de cerca de 40000. Eles receberam notas de arrecadação ou notas de depreciação para a compra de terras e as entregaram ao tesoureiro do Estado.

O Distrito Médio compreendia os condados de Dutchess, Orange e Ulster. Samuel Dodge, Daniel Graham e John Hathorn eram os comissários. Seu salário era de 24 / - por dia. (Ver lei de 12 de maio de 1784). As contas mostram que suas despesas foram de 2707.9.3. de 9 de abril de 1780 a 30 de abril de 1785. Graham's Sales, de julho. 1785, a maio de 1786, foram 3075. As vendas, aparentemente, alcançaram um total de 64363.8.6, sendo as do condado de Dutchess maiores do que nos outros dois condados juntos. Eles pagaram ao Tesouro do Estado os seguintes tipos de Notas: - Cobrança de Barbeiro de Curtenius, Escritório de Empréstimos, Cavalo e Agentes do Estado.

O Distrito Sul, a cargo dos Comissários Stoutenburgh e Philip Van Cortlandt, incluía os condados de Kings, Nova York, Queens, Richmond, Suffolk e Westchester. Entre seus papéis está uma Resolução da Convenção, 11 de fevereiro de 1777, que descreve William Lounsbury como "uma das pessoas envolvidas, em Spikeing the Cannon at Kingsbridge & amp, que depois se juntou ao Inimigo e foi morto

Muitos dos leitores da Árvore têm acesso a computadores domésticos ou a computadores compartilhados em bibliotecas ou escolas. Se você faz parte deste grupo, ficará feliz em saber que pode explorar mais informações sobre a família na Internet. Basta apontar seu software da web para:

Aqui você encontrará informações sobre reuniões, recursos genealógicos, uma árvore genealógica on-line, assistência para pesquisa e grupos de discussão. É fácil de usar e divertido, experimente hoje mesmo!

Pennoyer e Lounsbury Notes

Por Winifred Lovering Holman, S.B., F.A.S.G., de Lexington, Mass .

Como genealogista de Harvard, no que diz respeito à pesquisa em conexão com suas bolsas com base em requisitos ancestrais, eu tinha muito do material de Pennoyer e Lounsbury em mãos. Os dados adicionais foram obtidos em 1949, para a Sra. John Mitchell Morrison, de Towanda, Pensilvânia, e Miami, Flórida, e são apresentados aqui com sua permissão e com o devido reconhecimento de sua generosidade.

Essas breves notas devem ser consideradas apenas uma base para pesquisas mais exaustivas, visto que poucas fontes originais foram consultadas.

Havia três irmãos Pennoyer na Inglaterra, nos quais estamos interessados. Parece estranho que ninguém, que eu saiba, jamais obteve e publicou qualquer informação sobre sua linhagem e ancestralidade. O College of Arms de Londres tem um pedigree parcial, ao qual acrescentei dados, mas não contém absolutamente nada sobre os antecedentes. Como veremos mais tarde, pode ter havido um quarto irmão.

Em 1901, o falecido Henry F. Waters publicou, em dois volumes, seu "Genealogical Gleanings in England", e no volume 1, páginas 503-506, apresenta os testamentos de William e Samuel Pennoyer, irmãos, e suas duas viúvas. Estamos particularmente interessados ​​no testamento de William, cujo legado fundou a Pennoyer Aid em Harvard.

Samuel, um comerciante de Londres, casou-se com Rose Hobson e redigiu seu testamento em 29 de junho de 1652, provado em 12 de maio de 1654, mencionando seu irmão, William, e a esposa deste, Martha. Rose casou-se, em segundo lugar como sua segunda esposa, Samuel Disbrow e morreu em Elsworth, Cambridgshire, em 10 de dezembro de 1690, aos setenta e cinco anos, enquanto Disbrow morreu lá, em 4 de março de 1698, aos oitenta e dois.

William casou-se com Martha, filha de John Josselyn, de Hide Hall, Sawbridgeworth, Herts., Com sua esposa, Elizabeth Wiseman. Como cidadão e fabricante de tecidos de Londres, William Pennoyer fez seu testamento em 25 de maio de 1670, provado em 13 de fevereiro de 1670-71.

Neste instrumento, ele deixou 800 "para ser enviado para a Corporação para a Propagação do Evangelho na Nova Inglaterra", com a intenção e propósito de que seu valor em bens e mercadorias desse país "possa, após a venda, ser entregue a Robert Pennoyer de Stamford da Nova Inglaterra para o mesmo uso e benefício de si mesmo e de cada um de seus filhos, com a intenção e propósito de que o que for feito acima do referido valor de oitocentas libras nas mercadorias desse país será e permanecerá para sua irmã Elianor Reading e seu marido Thomas Reading e todos os seus filhos de forma igual e indiferente ".

Ele possuía terras e cortiços em co. Norfolk, dos quais £ 10 por ano foram dados à Corporação para a Propagação do Evangelho na Nova Inglaterra e £ 34 por ano. com o qual "dois bolsistas e dois estudiosos para sempre serão educados, mantidos e criados no colégio chamado Cambridge College na Nova Inglaterra, do qual desejo que um deles, tão freqüentemente quanto a ocasião apresente, possa ser da linha ou posteridade dos disse Robert Pennoyer, se eles são capazes disso e os outros da colônia agora ou mais tarde chamados de Newhaven Colony, se convenientemente for ".

Harvard vendeu esta propriedade em Norfolk apenas recentemente. O terceiro irmão, Robert Pennoyer, é o fundador da filial americana. Seguem-se breves notas a respeito dele.

Robert Pennoyer, irmão de William (o testador de 1670 e benfeitor do Harvard College), torneiro profissional, nascido talvez em 1614, estava vivo em janeiro de 1677, depois morava em Mamaroneck, Westchester Co., NY, e residia em Gravesend, Long Island, NY, Stamford, Conn. E Rye e Mamaroneck. Casou-se, primeiro, por volta de 1652, com uma esposa desconhecida, que se tornou mãe de seus filhos e que morreu em 6 de março de 1671 e, em segundo lugar, depois de 1666, e antes de 6 de março de 1671, com Elizabeth Scofield, viúva de Richard Scofield de Stamford.

Pensa-se que este Robert é idêntico a um Robert Pennaird, de 21 anos, que com um Thomas Pennaird, de 10 anos (possivelmente um irmão mais novo), veio no Hopewell, de Londres, Thomas Babb, Mestre. Ela navegou em meados de setembro e chegou a Boston, Massachusetts, no final de novembro de 1635. (Banks: 'Planters of the Commonwealth ", 1930.) Ele foi certamente o Robert Pennoyer, de Gravesend, Long Island, em 164 -, e novamente em 1645. (Registro, 16:99, 102.) 23 de agosto de 1656, ficamos sabendo que as terras de Robert Pennoyer, et als., em Gravesend foram pesquisadas, a partir do Calendário da Sra. Holandesa, 189. ( Ibid., 65: 242.) 1º de agosto de 1670, sua filha, Elizabeth "Penrye", era casada com Richard Lownesbury, de Court of Assizes, 2572. (O'Callaghan: "New York Marriages", 1860, 239.) 24 Dezembro de 1670 John Richbell, de Mamaroneck, com sua esposa, Ann, vendido para Robert "Penoire". Homelots, números 2 e 3, lá, ver Liber 1677-1683 [em Albany?]. (Registro, 58: 250.)

6 de março de 1671, o inventário foi feito ou a propriedade de Richard Scofield, falecido de Stamford, arquivado em 16 de março de 1671, que menciona a viúva, agora esposa de Robert "Penoyer". (Mead: Sra. "Fairfield Probate", 1:22.) O próximo registro aparece em Boston em 18 de outubro de 1671

"Eu Robert Penoyer Late of Stamford doe. Ordayne meu ... amigo Jonathan Sellick para se tornar meu. Attourney to demand & amp receave for me my legacy left mee pelo meu irmão mr William Penoyer Late of London. Como com minha mão e escala de amplificador em Rye neste dia 18 de outubro de 1671. Robert Penoire ". Sagacidade: John Richman, Miles Okely e a marca de Nicolas Webster atestada em 19 de outubro de 1672 por Richman e Webster recd. 20 de abril de 1672. (Suffolk Deeds, 6: 280.)

Outras ações são de interesse em provar os nomes de seus filhos:

8 de janeiro de 1671-72, Robert "Penoyer", de Mamaroneck, transferiu a propriedade, comprada de Richbell, para seus filhos queridos: William e Thomas Penoyer, o gado e os bens domésticos a serem divididos entre os ditos filhos e filha, Martha Penoyer Robert deveria ter gestão integral de todo o imóvel durante sua vida natural. Westchester Deeds, B: 100. (Registro, 58: 351.) Outro resumo desta escritura dá a data como 18 de janeiro de 1671-72, chama o concedente de "Penoyre", recita que ele deu aos filhos, William e Thomas, todos os direitos sobre seus bens, imóveis e pessoal para o filho mais velho, William, dois terços das terras compradas do dito Richbell, e por falta de emissão para a filha do filho Thomas, Martha, também nomeada. Westchester Deeds, B: 100. (Ibid., 54: 394).

1 de janeiro de 1677, uma declaração de que William Penoyer legou a Walter Butler, de Greenwich Conn., Filho de Evan Butler, de Cursonn, no condado de Hereford, a soma de quatro vintenas de libras, Westchester Deeds, em Albany, 4: 26 (Ibid., 58.349.)

Gravado para o Sr. George Heathcott, 7 de janeiro de 1677. "Considerando que William Penoyer, esq., Cidadão e tecelão de Londres, fez seu último testamento por escrito com a data de cinco e vinte dias de maio... 1670 e entre outras coisas ordenou que 800 libras fossem distribuídas em mercadorias adequadas para a Nova Inglaterra e enviado para a Corporação para a Propagação do Evangelho na Nova Inglaterra entregue a Robert Penoyer de Stratford [Stamford] para o benefício de si mesmo e crianças e nomeou Richard Leton Esq ., & amp Michael Davison, Esq., Executors... o resíduo para Ellena. Lendo & amp seus filhos. O SD Michael Davison morreu desde então. Agora não existe tal empresa na Nova Inglaterra para a qual os produtos SD podem ser enviados e vendidos e rendimentos divididos entre as respectivas pessoas e nenhum título pode ser levado para crianças. Robert Penoyer é removido para Mamaroneck no estado de Nova York e tem apenas 4 filhos vivos, viz., Elizabeth Pennoyer, de 24 anos, William Pennoyer, de 22 anos, Thomas Pennoyer, de idade d 17 e Martha

Pennoyer, de 11 anos, menor de idade, janeiro de 1677. Assinado

Elizabeth Pennoyer, agora Lounsbury

Sagacidade: William Dyre, George Kniffon, John Royse, William Hall e Anthony Buckholm. Westchester Deeds, em Albany, 4: 9. (Ibid., 58: 349.)

29 de janeiro de 1677, Robert Penoyer, de Mamaroneck, Turner, William Penoyer, do mesmo lugar, filho do referido Robert, com Richard Lounsbury, de Rye, Connecticut, e Elizabeth Lounsbury, sua esposa, filha mais velha do referido Robert , transmitido a Richard Leton, de Londres, Inglaterra, e a George Heathcott, da Middlesex Co., Inglaterra, marinheiro, por fiança. Westchester Deeds, em Albany, 4:23. (Ibid., 58: 349.)

Há menção em uma escritura, datada de 2 de abril de 1694, de um terreno que antes estava na posse de Robert Pennoyer e agora está na posse de seu filho (sem nome). Westchester Deeds, B: 177. (Ibid., 54: 394.) Portanto, parece que Robert certamente estava morto em abril de 1694.


Peter Demill - História

Home Holdings and Collections Finding Aids Maritime Provinces of Canada mercadores e armadores

Comerciantes e armadores das províncias marítimas do Canadá

Um guia para os papéis dos mercadores e armadores das Províncias Marítimas do Canadá

Caderno de cartas de Herbert Crowe, 1902
18 páginas de registros textuais

Esboço biográfico
Herbert Crowe, 1856-1933, era natural de Clifton, Condado de Colchester, Nova Escócia. Ele era filho de James e Harriet Crowe de Old Barns, Clifton, onde seu pai conduzia um negócio de construção naval de sucesso. Ele construiu uma ampla empresa de grãos no oeste canadense, retornando posteriormente à Nova Escócia, onde abriu uma empresa madeireira em Halifax, conhecida como Crowe Lumber Co. Ele retornou ao oeste onde estabeleceu outra empresa madeireira em Winnipeg, a Beaver Lumber Company. À medida que seu negócio prosperava, ele mudou sua sede para Nova York, onde iniciou outro negócio de grãos, tornando-se conhecido como comprador na Grain Exchange. Ele se aposentou na primeira década do século 20, passando os verões na Nova Escócia e os invernos em Boston e Nova York. Ele morreu na Nova Escócia em outubro de 1933.
Fontes: Informações fornecidas por seu obituário no Truro Daily News e por Carol Campbell

Escopo e conteúdo
Este item inclui extratos fotocopiados de um livro de cartas de 1902, contendo correspondência relacionada ao desenvolvimento de uma política de construção naval no Canadá.

Informação de referência
Os direitos autorais pertencem aos Arquivos Públicos da Nova Escócia.
Local: MF-0166, Arquivo de História Marítima
Arquivo de História Marítima encontrando ajuda 27

Informação administrativa
Adquirido dos Arquivos Públicos de Nova Scotia, 1977.
Fotocopiado do documento original mantido nos Arquivos Públicos de Nova Scotia em 1977.

Documentos da Família Hilyard, 1855-1881
3,5 centímetros de registros textuais

Esboço biográfico
Thomas Hilyard era um construtor de navios e madeireiro, nascido em St. John, New Brunswick, em outubro de 1810, filho de Thomas Hilyard e Margaret Miles. He married Matilda Dyer and had thirteen children. He died 22 June 1873 at Saint John.

Administrative history
Little detail of Thomas Hilyard's activities prior to 1852 are known. In 1842 he described himself as a shipwright and was also a registered shipowner. With the construction of two big ships in 1852 he started building on a large scale. He obtained, first by lease and later by purchase, a shipyard in Portland, Saint John County. In 1854 he bought an adjoining steam sawmill. In 1856 or 1857 he expanded by leasing and subsequently purchasing a neighboring shipyard from John Haws, for decades a leading shipbuilder in the area.

Hilyard launched at least 48 vessels, a number surpassed by few Canadian builders. His larger ships were often sold to major shipowners in Liverpool, England while the smaller vessels were generally sold locally. He gained a high reputation as a shipbuilder and the quality and quantity of his ships and the extent of his saw milling operations made him a leading figure in the economic life of the Saint John region.

Thomas Hilyard also registered eighteen vessels on the Saint John registry between 1842 and 1877.

After Hilyard died in 1873 his two sons Thomas K. and Henry continued the business until 1915.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol.X Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada, CD ROM, Maritime History Archive, 1998

Scope and content
These papers contain accounts 1855-1863 leases for shipyard 1857-1864, bills of sale for vessels1856-1864, Moss Rose contracts to build vessels 1855-1865 correspondence 1862-1880 insurance policy for the Lottie Stewart, 1876 ships papers, 1864-1881, including the Meeranza at Liverpool, a charter party for the Teresa and a co-partnership agreement, 1869.

These thirty-three items represent approximately ten percent of the original collection held at the New Brunswick Museum.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: R95-17, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Photocopies acquired in the 1970s.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Thomas Hilyard, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 101
Hilyard Family Papers, New Brunswick Museum

James Peake papers, 1835-1866
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
James Ellis Peake, who emigrated from Plymouth, England to Charlottetown in 1823, was a merchant and shipowner of Prince Edward Island. He married a daughter of Ralph Brecken and Mathilda Robinson. In 1841, he sat on the Executive Council with John Brecken and Thomas Heath Haviland, the colonial secretary who had married another daughter of the Breckens. At this time, James Peake was the major shipbuilder in the colony.

Peake may have begun his own firm in the year following his arrival in Prince Edward Island. After 1824, he also appears to have been associated with the Brecken firm. In 1825, he purchased his first sailing vessel, one of 152 vessels which he would own over the next thirty-five years. These vessels were usually in the North Atlantic trade, mainly between Prince Edward Island or a New Brunswick timber port, and either Liverpool or Plymouth.

Peake's vessels were also involved in the coastal trade, carrying out island produce and picking up timber cargoes for transatlantic voyages. These investments marked him as one of the largest owners of shipping in eastern Canada during the first half of the nineteenth century. Peake was also engaged in other activities which were related to his maritime interests.

Peake owned several stores at which he sold the goods which he imported on his own vessels. He also acted as a broker for marine insurance, and operated a ship chandlery and outfitting business. Additionally, he dabbled in other mercantile activities until his death In 1856, Peake had become ill and returned to England where he died, May 4, 1860.
Sources: Lewis R. Fischer, "An engine yet moderate": James Peake, entrepreneurial behaviour and the shipping industry of Nineteenth Century Prince Edward Island, The Enterprising Canadians , Maritime History Group, 1979

Scope and content
These papers include selections from the Peake papers, consisting of letterbooks, 1835-1837 and 1845-1850, and outgoing and in-coming correspondence for 1841-1866.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.
Location: Mic.1-2-4-11/12, Maritime History Archive
Maritime History Archive finding aid 74

Administrative information
Filmed from the original papers held at the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.

James W. Carmichael papers, 1890-1906
30 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
Businessman, shipowner and politician of New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, James William Carmichael, born December 16, 1819, was the son of James Carmichael, the founder of the town of New Glasgow. He became a clerk in his father's business and in the early 1850s gradually took over his father's mercantile and shipping interests. By 1854, the firm was known as J.W. Carmichael and Company. He registered his first vessel, the Helen Stairs , in 1851, and, between then and 1869, built at least fourteen more vessels. By the 1870s, his shipbuilding yards were the most prominent in Pictou County. He constructed his largest vessel, the 1,174 ton Thiorva in 1876.

Carmichael invested in local business he held the agency for the Bank of Nova Scotia from 1866 to 1886, was president of the New Glasgow Marine Insurance Association and was chair of the New Glasgow Underwiters Association. By diversifying his investments, Carmichael maintained a strong position in Pictou county and his worth grew steadily. Carmichael was elected to the Nova Scotia Legislature as the member for Pictou in 1867, as a liberal and opponent of confederation. He lost his seat in 1872, was re-elected in 1874, and was defeated in 1878, 1882, and 1896. He was active in the community life of New Glasgow, taking part in religious, civic and charitable organizations. Carmichael died May 1, 1903.

The firm of J.W. Carmichael continued after the death of James and his son. In 1962, the firm went into voluntary liquidation bequeathing $670,000 to charitable organizations.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. XIII, pp. 169-171

Scope and content
These papers consist of photocopies of part of the business papers of James Carmichael. The letterbooks deal mainly with shipbuilding in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, and other shipping business, and include correspondence with shipbrokers, Scammel Brothers, 1892-1901, Black, Moore and Co., 1893-1894, as well as correspondence with captains, 1891-1906 for the vessels Arnguda, Rock City, Helga, Brynhilda and Swanhilda and miscellaneous records such as vouchers and disbursements, 1890-1901.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: R95-35, Maritime History Archive

Administration information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1980.
Photocopied in 1980 from the original documents held at Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG2, No 224-421.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Carmichael, James W., Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 037

Leavitt (Lovett, Lovitt) Family papers , 1783-1875
1 reel of microfilm

Biographical sketch
The Leavitt family were merchants, shipowners and shipmasters of Saint John, New Brunswick.
Jonathan Leavitt (1746-1811)was a ship's captain and pilot. He married Hephzibah Peabody and they had eight sons and two daughters. His son Thomas (C1795 - 1850), who after his fathers death continued the family business, married Mary Ann Ketchum in 1822 and they had four sons and three daughters.

Thomas Leavitt's maternal aunts had married James Simmons and James White of the ship owning firm of Simmons, Hazen and White.

Administrative history
Johnathan Leavitt (1746-1811) came to Saint John in 1762 and served as captain and pilot on the vessels of the firm of Simonds, Hazen and White prior to the American Revolution. He prospered as a shipowner and mariner and at his death in 1811 he left a considerable estate. His son Thomas inherited half-interest in the family home, ownership of four choice lots in Saint John and a seventh part of a large landholding on the Miramichi River. In 1817 Thomas was admitted as a merchant freeman in the city of Saint John and from that time on he played an active role in business life in New Brunswick. In the 1830s and 1840s he acted as agent for the Liverpool Association of Underwriters and a number of New York marine insurance companies. In 1835 he was made the U.S. consul for Saint John. He was a founder of the City Bank in 1837 and later became the president of the Bank of New Brunswick. Thomas died 24 October 1850 at the age of 55.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. VII, pág. 493 Leavitt Family Papers, Maritime History Archive

Scope and content
These papers include ships accounts, insurance policies and papers for the Sally , 1796-1801, Dove , 1797-1799, snow Mary , 1803-1804, Mary , 1803-1804, Susanna , 1805, Cattle , 1810, Paraquay , 1849-, General Higgins , 1851-52, Hibernia , 1789-1791, Belmont , 1858, Lampedo , 1856-1858 and Rosannah, 1785 Lovettt family letters (mostly to Daniel, George and Joseph), 1802-1866 Indentures and bonds, 1798-1874 Bills, receipts and promissory notes, 1700-1856 Daniel Lovett account book, 1798 Saint John city Poor House account book, 1810-1813.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-2, Maritime History Archive
There is an item level index included with the microfilm

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum 198-.
Filmed by MicRo Ltd. for the New Brunswick Museum, 1978.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Leavitt, William, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 136

Letterbooks of N. Smith DeMill , 1833-1851
1 reel of microfilm

Biographical sketch
Nathan DeMill,(1804-1864), loyalist, was a prosperous merchant, shipowner, and lumberman in Saint John, New Brunswick. He was active on the board of governors of Acadia College. Having left the Church of England, he became a Baptist who was a man of strong principles and a strict abstainer, nick-named "cold-water DeMill".
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. X, p. 223

Scope and content
These two letterbooks dated 1833-1847 and 1847-1851, which contain correspondence from Mr. DeMill to various businesses provide information about accounts, orders, cargo, sailing dates and voyage destinations.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-1, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum.
Microfilmed from the original documents held at the New Brunswick Museum.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, DeMill, Thomas, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 062

Moran-Galloway Company account book , 1867-1878
1 reel of microfilm

Administrative history
The Moran-Galloway Company were shipowners of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Scope and content
This account book records "Owners of vessels in Account Current with Moran, Galloway & Co", 1867-1878. In many of the entries, the owners include Robert Galloway, Robert G. Moran, and James H. Moran. The names of the vessels are also identified. In the last entry, Moran, Galloway & Co. is replaced with Vaughan Brothers & Co.
Fontes:

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.6-6-1-6, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum, 1980.
Filmed for the New Brunswick Museum, 1980.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Moran, Robert G., Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, 172

Pickford and Black shipping registers , 1880-1905
1 reel of microfilm

Administrative history
Partners Robert Pickford (1841-1914) and William A. Black (1847-1934) were ship chandlers and grocers of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Pickford founded the business 1870, and Black joined the firm in 1978, which was still flourishing in 1929. The firm expanded into shipping and steamships, and the West Indies trade. The firm was also an agent for Lloyd's and other European steamship lines.

Scope and content
This collection consists of three registers of incoming vessels, at Halifax, 1880-1905. The records were kept by Pickford and Black, but include all incoming shipping regardless of agent. Registers give the date of arrival, the rig, vessel name, tonnage, port of registry, master, where from, number of days at sea, consignee, cargo, wharf, date of sailing and destination.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: Mic.1-1-1-16, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1978.
Filmed from the Pickford and Black papers held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG 7 v. 43 - 45.

Thomas Aylward fonds , 1885-1901
3.5 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
Thomas Aylward was born at Falmouth, Nova Scotia in 1829. In 1854, he obtained his Master Mariner's certificate in London. His first command was on the ship China and he later commanded the British Queen and the Nile . He commanded vessels for the firm of John S. DeWolfe & Co., of Liverpool, England, sailing to India and Australia, and for Bennett Smith of Windsor, Nova Scotia. For several years he was managing owner of the ship Avoca and barquentines St. Croix , St. Paul and St. Peter . Aylward was a member of the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church of Windsor, N.S. and was on the building committee of the church, St. John's United, which was erected in 1899. He died at Windsor on March 21, 1902.

Scope and content
This fonds consists of shipping account books, 1885-1893, bills and receipts for cargoes, 1885-1901. It includes records of expenses for the operation of vessels in Aylward's command including the St. Croix , 1895-1897, the St. Paul , the St. Peter and the Avoca , 1894-1899 lists of port charges seamen's wages, 1898-1899 and charters, accounts and insurances, 1900-1901.

Reference information
Copyright is held by Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management.
Location: R95-16, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1980.
Copied from the original documents held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1980.

Vessel's papers of the barque Snow Queen , 1876-1889
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
Frieze and Roy were merchants and shipowners of Maitland, Nova Scotia. Several people held shares in the barque Snow Queen (O.N. 64900), built at Maitland and registered in 1872: Thomas Kenny, Halifax merchant (24 shares) George Frieze, Maitland merchant (8 shares) Thomas Roy, Maitland merchant (12 shares) Alexander Roy, Maitland shipbuilder (12 shares) John Roy, Maitland farmer/planter (4 shares) and Hiram Grant, Maitland shipbuilder (4 shares). In 1891 the barque was sold to foreigners in Sweden.

Scope and content
The papers were microfilmed from the papers of Frieze and Roy and include charter parties and other papers relating to the vessel Snow Queen , 1876-1889.

Reference information
Location: Mic.5-10-4-1/2, Maritime History Archive
Copyright is held by the creator or his/her heirs.

W.D. Lawrence papers , 1835-1908
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
William Dawson Lawrence, born at Gilford, Northern Ireland in 1817, moved to Nova Scotia with his parents when he was an infant. In 1838, he apprenticed in the shipyards of Alexander Lyle and John Chappell at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. In 1847, he designed the Wanderer , a barque of 568 tons, which was launched in 1849. He then became involved in the design, construction, ownership and operation of his own vessels, deep sea barques and ships which carried general cargoes to all parts of the world and included the 2,459 ton ship William D. Lawrence , registered in 1874. The construction of this vessel put Lawrence in debt for $27,000, but over the next eight years it not only cleared the debt, but made a profit for its owners of over $140,000. Lawrence was active in politics throughout the 1860s. In 1859, he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Hants County, and in 1863 he was elected to represent Hants County in the provincial Assembly where he supported free education and adamantly opposed confederation. In the election of 1871, he made repeal of confederation a key issue but was defeated by William Henry Allison. He retained an active interest in politics until his death in 1886 at Maitland, Nova Scotia.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. XI, pp. 501-502

Scope and content
These papers include: account books, 1859-1902, 1861-1862 logbook of brig Aeolis , 1867 a book containing newspaper clippings miscellaneous loose documents, 1835-1908, including indentures, bills of sale and petitions.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the owner Miss Abbie Lawrence, Maitland, Hants County, NS.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-4/5, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Filmed from the original documents by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1963.
Original papers held by Miss Abbie Lawrence, granddaughter of W.D. Lawrence.

William Roche letterbook , 1834-1841
3 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
William Roche Sr., 1800-1887, was a merchant and sea captain of Halifax. He was the president of Union Marine Insurance Company, and an alderman of the city of Halifax, 1849-1850 and 1862-1864.
Sources: Public Archives of Nova Scotia, Finding Aid to the Roche Papers

Scope and content
This is a photocopy of a letterbook , 1834-1841, of William Roche, partner of the firm of Roche and Kinnear. The correspondence contains information mostly about cargoes and the West India trade.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: MF-0167, Maritime History Archive
Maritime History Archive finding aid 26

Administration information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1981.
Copied from the original held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG3 v. 207.


The Cursed, Buried City That May Never See The Light of Day

Thirty-three years ago, Peter Brosnan heard a story that seemed too crazy to be true: buried somewhere along California&rsquos rugged Central Coast, beneath acres of sand dunes, lay the remains of a lost city. According to his friend at New York University&rsquos film school, the remains of a massive Egyptian temple, a dozen plaster sphinxes, eight mammoth lions, and four 40-ton statues of Ramses II were all supposedly entombed in the sands 150 some-odd miles north of Los Angeles.

&ldquoIt was an absolutely cockamamie story,&rdquo Brosnan says. &ldquoI thought he was nuts.&rdquo The ruins weren&rsquot authentic Egyptian ones, of course. They were the 60-year-old remains of a massive Hollywood set&mdashthe biggest, most expensive one ever built at the time. The faux Egyptian scenery had played the role of the City of the Pharaoh in one of Hollywood&rsquos first true epics, Cecil B DeMille&rsquos 1923 film The Ten Commandments. The set had required more than 1,500 carpenters to build and used over 25,000 pounds of nails. The production nearly ruined DeMille and his studio. When the shoot wrapped, the tempestuous director supposedly strapped dynamite to the structures and razed the whole set, burying it in the sands near Guadalupe, California, to ensure no rival director could benefit from his vision.

&ldquoIf 1,000 years from now archaeologists happen to dig beneath the sands of Guadalupe,&rdquo the director teased, &ldquoI hope they will not rush into print with the amazing news that Egyptian civilization&hellipextended all the way to the Pacific Coast.&rdquo

Bullshit, Brosnan thought. But then his buddy pointed him to a line in DeMille&rsquos posthumously published autobiography. &ldquoIf 1,000 years from now archaeologists happen to dig beneath the sands of Guadalupe,&rdquo the director teased, &ldquoI hope they will not rush into print with the amazing news that Egyptian civilization&hellipextended all the way to the Pacific Coast.&rdquo

By 1982, Brosnan had graduated from film school and was earning a living as a freelance journalist, but he couldn't shake his friend's story. The film student in him was enchanted by the idea of uncovering and preserving a forgotten bit of Hollywood&rsquos history. That summer, Brosnan and his friend drove across the country, from New York City to a stretch of coast near Santa Barbara, to see the ruins for themselves. The whole affair, he thought, would make for a hell of a documentary.

&ldquoWe were young, wannabe filmmakers, and I thought this was golden,&rdquo Brosnan says today. &ldquoWe&rsquoll find some archeologists, we&rsquoll find the set, we&rsquoll dig it up. The story writes itself.&rdquo

The City of the Pharaoh was not so much a movie set as it was a monument to the man who built it. DeMille was already a towering star in the early days of Hollywood, but in 1922 he was recovering from a streak of critical flops. He had gained a reputation for his sense of spectacle in films like Joan the Woman e Male and Female, e The Ten Commandments was to be his comeback.

Delivering DeMille&rsquos blockbuster meant deploying a barrage of special effects, at least by the standards of the day. In 1923, set design was the only way to visually transport viewers to the Sinai in the time of Moses. The &ldquodesert&rdquo DeMille chose for his Israelites to wander, while certainly more convenient than filming on location in Egypt, presented a logistical nightmare. There were no nearby cities, no paved roads, and no place for his cast of thousands to stay. The 22,000 acres of sand dunes that separated the small farming town of Guadalupe from the Pacific Ocean was harsh and desolate. The sharp-grained sand that gives the wind there its added sting is devoid of nutrients, and, combined with constant salt sprays from the sea, makes life a rarity in the dunes. For DeMille, it was perfect.

The sphinx on set in 1923. (Photo: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

&ldquoYour skin will be cooked raw,&rdquo DeMille told his army of 3,500 actors and extras, according to a Los Angeles Times reporter on the scene. &ldquoYou will miss the comforts of home. You will be asked to endure perhaps the most unpleasant location in cinema history. I expect of you your supreme efforts.&rdquo

The costs were mounting even before DeMille arrived in Guadalupe to begin shooting. Preproduction expenses were already approaching $700,000&mdashan astronomical sum in the early days of Hollywood. More than a million pounds of statuary, concrete, and plaster were used to construct the 120-foot-tall, 800-foot-long temple and surrounding structures, and whole plaster sphinxes were sculpted and loaded onto trucks bound for the dunes. Every day on location meant feeding and housing the thousands of workers and animals. DeMille drove his construction team to work faster. Paramount Studios, the film&rsquos backer, began sending DeMille increasingly desperate letters demanding that he cut costs. One receipt, for $3,000 spent on a &ldquomagnificent team of horses&rdquo for the pharaoh, pushed the studio over the edge, according to Sumiko Higashi, a professor emeritus at The College at Brockport, SUNY, and author of Cecil B. DeMille and American Culture: the Silent Era, a biography of DeMille.

&ldquoYou have lost your mind,&rdquo telegraphed Adolph Zukor, founder of Paramount Pictures. &ldquoStop filming and return to Los Angeles at once.&rdquo DeMille refused. He took out a personal loan and waived his guaranteed percentage of the movie&rsquos gross to ensure the production continued. &ldquoI cannot and will not make pictures with a yardstick,&rdquo he wired back to the studio. &ldquoWhat do they want me to do?&rdquo he was rumored to have said, according to Higashi. &ldquoStop now and release it as The Five Commandments?&rdquo

Despite the warnings, DeMille pushed on. Bugles sounded every morning to 4:30 a.m. to wake the 5,000 workers and actors that populated the 24-square-mile tent city he&rsquod built in the dunes. (It earned the nickname the City of DeMille.) His workers raised the 109-foot-tall Great Gate&mdashan archway covered in intricate busts of rearing stallions&mdashand buttressed it with two 35-foot-tall clay-and-plaster statues of the Pharaoh. They erected a &ldquocity wall&rdquo&mdashbuilt 750 feet long because DeMille refused to work with painted backgrounds or limit his cinematic choices. Five mammoth sphinxes, weighing over five tons each, lined the entrance to the ersatz Egyptian city.

Filming was done at a madcap pace and condensed into a mere three weeks, according to Scott Eyman&rsquos biography, Empire of Dreams: The Epic Life of Cecil B. DeMille. But even with the Exodus in the can, one more problem loomed. According to a prior agreement with the landowners, DeMille&rsquos monumental set had to be dismantled before he left. Production costs had already ballooned to over $1.4 million, more than any other film previously made. DeMille considered reneging on the deal, Brosnan says, but likely worried about another issue: If he left is city standing, rival directors from other studios could easily swoop into Guadalupe and produce an epic on the cheap. DeMille would not have that. Rather than pay workers to take the set down, he settled on a faster method. Dynamite was supposedly strapped to the great temple he had built, and the City of the Pharaoh was brought down. According to legend, he ordered bulldozers to mound sand over the scattered remains and quickly left town.

Sixty years later, in 1983, Brosnan arrived at the dunes like the Children of Israel before him&mdashcompletely lost. He knew the set was buried somewhere, but the dunes stretched nearly 30 miles, across two counties. Looking for clues, he called the Air Force base that occupied much of the coastline. (&ldquoSir,&rdquo he says the sergeant on the other end of the line told him, &ldquoThere is no Egyptian city buried at Vandenberg Air Force Base.&rdquo) He haunted local libraries. He hounded municipal politicians. No one could provide hints about the set&rsquos exact location.

Then he stumbled upon an old ranch hand at a local tavern who had run cattle through the dunes for decades. On a cold and dark morning, after a savage storm had rearranged the topography of the dunes, Brosnan and the rancher hiked the sea of hundred-foot-high peaks, making their way a mile toward the pounding surf of the Pacific. Eventually they spied what locals called &ldquothe dune that never moves"&mdashthe sandy tomb that covered DeMille&rsquos set&mdashand saw a chunk of Plaster of Paris statuary poking through.

The sphinx before excavation. (Photo: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

The discovery made headlines around the world and Brosnan fielded calls from O jornal New York Times, NBC Nightly News, e Pessoas revista. His documentary idea, which had seemed pie-in-the-sky a few months earlier, looked promising. And his pitch&mdashthat the lost city is the oldest existing Hollywood set left that props from more modern shoots have already been preserved for posterity that early set design was, in a sense, an American art form&mdashstruck a chord in the industry. Brosnan tentatively called his documentary project The Lost City.

Charlton Heston, star of DeMille&rsquos 1956 remake of the film, publicly wished the project well, and local archaeologists volunteered their time to help in the excavation. A curator at the Smithsonian expressed interest in acquiring some pieces, once the dig wrapped. Promises for funding came in from Paramount Pictures and Bank of America. Brosnan moved to Hollywood with the intention of pursuing a career in the &lsquobiz. But first, he had to start digging.

&ldquoThis will be a scientific exploration by highly trained personnel,&rdquo said a Cambridge-educated archaeologist who signed on in 1983. &ldquoNot a case of simply digging up stuff like potatoes. And if we're serious about documenting movie history, then let's do it properly.&rdquo

Excavating the City of the Pharaoh. (Photo: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

The excavation and documentary progressed, but Brosnan constantly faced two problems: funding and permitting. When he had the money, the county wouldn&rsquot let him touch the environmentally sensitive area. (The western snowy plover, a federally protected species that nests along california&rsquos coast, keeps the dunes off limits to people for half the year during breeding season.) By the time he got permission to dig, seven years later, funding had dried up. In 1990, several organizations, including the Smithsonian and the DeMille Family Trust, agreed to partially fund the project, and Brosnan and an archeologist used ground-penetrating radar to show that much of the set remained intact. But he couldn&rsquot raise enough money to excavate the actual ruins. He needed $175,000 for an archeological dig to recover 60-year-old fake relics. &ldquoWe don't see this as a fake Egypt,&rdquo Brosnan told a reporter at the time. &ldquoWe see this as real cinema history.&rdquo

But by the mid-1990s, Brosnan had been scraping by in the movie business for a decade, writing scripts and directing small projects. Lacking the money, he gave up the dig.

That DeMille&rsquos ruins have survived intact to this day, albeit buried in the sands, is a quirk of geography. The dunes, which cover some 35 square miles of the coast here, formed about 15,000 years ago, according to Doug Jenzen, executive director of the non-profit Dunes Center in Guadalupe. Jenzen and his team run a small museum out of a craftsman on the town&rsquos main (and only) drag and head up conservation efforts for the Dunes preserve. It&rsquos a charming little museum that seems out of place among the shuttered movie theater and boarded up buildings of Guadalupe, but the Dunes and DeMille are the only source of tourism dollars in this largely agricultural area, Jenzen says.

Thousands of years ago, rivers swept mineral-dense rocks and boulders from the nearby coastal range down to the sea, eventually pummeling the earth into fine grain sand. &ldquoOne of the reasons the movie set is preserved so well is because of the minerals in the sand,&rdquo Jenzen says. &ldquoYou know how when you order something mail order and it comes with the silica packets? The sand actually acted as a natural desiccant that preserved the plaster for the statues.&rdquo

For 15 years, the ruins were left undisturbed. Every few years a reporter or a researcher would call and Brosnan would humor him or her with details of his odyssey in the dunes. Each time, he hoped the new round of publicity would inject dollars into the effort, but nothing ever came through.

In October 2014, archeologists preserve decaying remains from wind-blown sand at Guadalupe Dunes. (Photo: AP)

In 2010, though, after the Los Angeles Times ran yet another piece on his unfinished dig, a woman&mdashwho wishes to remain anonymous&mdashcontacted Brosnan and offered to put up the money needed to finish the film. But by then he was married with children and had been away from the project for two decades. &ldquoMy first response was a moment of panic,&rdquo Brosnan says. &ldquoThere&rsquos no way I could do this.&rdquo

But Brosnan hired a producer and an editor, and last fall, with the help of a Santa Barbara County grant, a team of archeologists excavated most of a sphinx. Brosnan was on hand to film it. &ldquoWe had always wanted to end with a shot of the sphinx being found. And we got it,&rdquo he says. Using his early footage shot in the 1980s, Brosnan has pulled together a rough cut and has an editor working on a final draft. He says he&rsquos looking for distributors and considering the film festival circuit soon.

In the Dune Center, Jenzen and his team display parts of one of the large plaster sphinxes and smaller relics that have been successfully pulled from the sand. &ldquoAll of the statues were made of plaster,&rdquo he says. &ldquoThey were built to last two months&mdash92 years ago. I don&rsquot think this could have happened anywhere else on earth.&rdquo

However, Jenzen says the ruins may not survive another 92 years. Powerful storms in the last few years have shifted the sands of the dunes dramatically&mdashmore of the set is now exposed to the elements than ever before. The Dunes Center needs $100,000 to unearth another sphinx to add it to the display, Jenzen says, before it&rsquos too late. &ldquoIt&rsquos disappearing so fast,&rdquo he says, &ldquoArcheologists originally thought it&rsquod last until 2090&mdashbut every time we go out, more is gone.&rdquo


Assista o vídeo: FAMOSOS QUE ENVELHECERAM MUITO MAL! #3 (Outubro 2021).