Notícia

Chester Castle

Chester Castle


Porta da Frente do Local Pesquise o índice do site Confira o mapa da rota Uma breve introdução a Chester The Northgate The North Wall A torre fênix O Portão Kaleyard A Catedral The Eastgate The Newgate & amp Wolfgate O anfiteatro / galeria Comentários sobre o anfiteatro Igreja de São João O 'Jardim Romano' River Dee inc Grosvenor Park The Bridgegate O castelo A ponte Grosvenor The Roodee The Watergate A enfermaria The Watertower Tower Wharf Portão de São Martinho A Ponte dos Suspiros Visitantes de Chester ao longo do tempo The Rows of Chester The Chester Gallery Mapas antigos e fotos aéreas Fotos antigas de Chester e Liverpool Chester Pubs / galeria desaparecidos Chester Cinemas O porto antigo The Chester Canal The Royalty Theatre Galeria Chris Langford Galeria de peças misteriosas Chester Anagrams! MickleTrafford Railway Stroll Cartas sobre o CDTS Busway Cartas sobre nosso site The B & ampW Picture Place Links para lugares interessantes Anuncie conosco Escreva para nós

saímos da Ponte Velha Dee e com o rugido do açude atrás de nós, chegamos a uma seção das antigas muralhas da cidade de Chester que sofreu mudanças consideráveis ​​ao longo dos séculos.

Sem dúvida, este pedaço de terreno elevado ao redor do qual o rio Dee faz uma curva gradual teve importância estratégica desde os primeiros tempos, e por volta do ano 907 DC, os saxões da Mércia sob Aethelfleda, como parte da reocupação da antiga fortaleza romana , ergueu uma base fortificada aqui e incorporou-a em sua extensão às paredes, para servir como parte de suas defesas contra os dinamarqueses, sendo então expulsos da Irlanda e em busca de novas terras para ocupar.

Não resta nenhum vestígio desta fortaleza saxônica e muito pouco se sabe sobre o local até o inverno de 1069-70, quando o exército do duque Guilherme da Normandia chegou a Chester saxão, que se tornou a última grande cidade remanescente na Inglaterra a cair para o A espada do conquistador durante os estágios finais de Harrying of the North em 1069-70, totalmente três anos após a Batalha de Hastings.

Numerosos rumores circulavam há muito tempo entre o exército normando sobre as estradas ruins, a posição da cidade - cercada como era por densas florestas e pântanos traiçoeiros - de seus numerosos habitantes - e de sua coragem obstinada e familiaridade mortal com o arco longo. Muitos dos nobres de Guilherme, exaustos pelas lutas no Norte e alarmados com essas histórias, exigiram sua dispensa. Alguns realmente se retiraram para a Normandia, abandonando as terras com as quais já haviam sido recompensados, mas os poderes persuasivos do duque Guilherme prevaleceram - ele lhes prometeu grandes recompensas e, como a conquista de Chester foi o último de seus projetos, que encontrariam descanso após esta vitória final.

Como se viu, como o exército normando prevaleceu. O número de mortos durante a campanha é estimado em cerca de 150.000, com consideráveis ​​danos sociais, culturais e econômicos. Devido à política implacável e violenta de & quot; terra cortada & quot; que os normandos empregavam, grande parte da terra foi devastada e despovoada. Em partes do norte, os danos foram tantos que os sobreviventes tiveram que recorrer ao canibalismo. Inevitavelmente, a peste veio. Ao todo, cerca de um quinto da população da Inglaterra pode ter morrido durante a conquista normanda. Sabemos pouco sobre a batalha por Chester ou o número de vítimas envolvidas, mas sabemos que uma grande proporção das casas da cidade foram destruídas.

William concedeu o Conde de Chester primeiro a Walter de Gherbaud - que, no entanto, logo retornou a uma vida fácil na Normandia - e depois a seu sobrinho, Hugh D'Avranches - conhecido como Lúpus (o lobo), mas mais tarde na vida, especialmente pelos galeses, como Hugh Vras (Hugh the Fat) - "Para mantê-lo e seus herdeiros tão livremente pela espada como o rei detém a Coroa da Inglaterra".

O Conde se tornou muito poderoso e virtualmente independente da Coroa, o Conde tendo seu próprio Parlamento consistindo de oito de seus Barões escolhidos e seus inquilinos, e eles não estavam de forma alguma vinculados por quaisquer leis aprovadas pelo Parlamento Inglês, com exceção da de traição.

Hugh ergueu uma típica madeira normanda motte e bailey castelo aqui que logo foi reconstruído em pedra duradoura. Sobre o destino da fortaleza saxônica que anteriormente ocupava o local não sabemos absolutamente nada, mas seu sucessor normando ao longo dos séculos tornou-se uma estrutura defensiva formidável de grande importância estratégica.

Após a anexação do Conde de Chester pela Coroa em 1237, quando o último Conde normando morreu sem problemas, uma ampliação e fortalecimento consideráveis ​​foram realizadas por Henrique III e Eduardo I, particularmente no pátio externo, onde a paliçada foi substituída por uma grande pedra parede em 1247-51.

O Castelo de Chester foi a base de fronteira a partir da qual North Wales foi atacado e eventualmente conquistado nos séculos 12 e 13 e o tesouro, os tribunais e a prisão foram baseados aqui, além de abrigar a guarnição.

Em 1246, Owen ap Gruffydd (Owain Gwynneth) escapou da prisão aqui para se juntar a seu irmão Llewelyn na luta contra os ingleses, sob cuja liderança em 1257 eles "devastou o país até as portas da cidade".

Em 1276-7, Eduardo foi duas vezes a Chester para convocar Llewellyn para fazer a paz, mas foi recusado em todas as vezes, alegando que o Príncipe de Gales "temia por sua segurança", ao que o rei sitiou Castelo Rhuddlan, onde Llewellyn foi submetido à fome.

Em 1397, está registrado que o Vice-Condestável de Chester Castle, Thomas le Wodeward, recebeu alguns suprimentos novos:

& # 149 11 colares de ferro e 2 grossos de corrente de ferro.
& # 149 2 pares de cintas de ferro com algemas
& # 149 2 pares de algemas de ferro com 4 grilhões de ferro
& # 149 7 pares de grilhões de pés de ferro com 3 algemas
& # 149 1 hasp para as ações

Em 1399 Henry Bolingbroke, Duque de Lancaster, levou Chester, logo após reunir suas tropas sob as muralhas e marchar contra Ricardo II, a quem ele capturou Castelo de Flint. Ele retornou a Chester com o infeliz monarca (vestido com o manto de monge com o qual ele havia tentado escapar) e o conde de Salisbury "montou em dois pequenos nagges brancos que não valiam 40 francos" e os alojou no castelo. Depois de descansar em uma torre sobre o portão externo, eles foram escoltados até Westminster. Bolingbroke depôs Ricardo - que foi assassinado na prisão no ano seguinte - e foi eleito rei Henrique IV pelo Parlamento.

Esses grandes eventos foram, é claro, imortalizados por Shakespeare, e John Speed comentou de Richard: "Se, para poupar a fúria de seu povo, ele se contentou tão docilmente em desistir de seu direito, este fato não só me parece desculpável, mas glorioso, mas os homens pensam que foi preguiça e vã confiança na dissimulação que seus inimigos há muito que descobri nele ".

Depois de séculos de serviço (dos saxões aos eduardianos do século 20, arquitetos construídos para sempre, não por meras décadas como agora) o Castelo de Chester sofreu sérios danos durante a Guerra Civil, e no século 18 foi permitido cair em um estado de decadência avançada.

Depois da guerra, Oliver Cromwell ordenou muitos castelos, como aquele nas proximidades Liverpool- para ser demolido parcial ou totalmente para que não pudessem ser usados ​​para travar a guerra novamente, mas aqui em Chester as partes menos danificadas do edifício continuaram em uso na escrita do Castelo de Chester no Vale Royal da Inglaterra em 1651, Daniel King registrou isso, “O castelo é um lugar privilegiado por si mesmo, e tem um condestável. Na primeira entrada está o Portão, que é uma prisão para todo o Condado, com vários quartos e alojamentos. E bem dentro do Portão está uma casa , que em algum momento era o Tesouro, mas agora a Alfândega. Não muito longe dali, no Pátio da Base, há um poço profundo, e, portanto, estábulos e outras Casas de Ofícios. À esquerda está um chappell e difícil por adjoyning a ele, o Shire-Hall bastante justo e amplo, recentemente reparado, onde todas as questões jurídicas relativas ao Condado de Palatino são ouvidas e determinadas judicialmente. E no final dele o admirável Novo Tesouro, para o referido Condado de Palatino. Todos estes estão no Tribunal de Base. Então há uma ponte levadiça para a ala interna, onde há diversos alojamentos para os juízes, quando eles vierem: E aqui o próprio condestável habita. Os ladrões e caçadores são denunciados no referido condado e, sendo condenados, são por o condestável do castelo, ou seu adjunto y, entregue aos xerifes da cidade, a uma certa distância sem o portão do castelo, em uma pedra chamada The Glovers Stone de cujo lugar, os ditos xerifes os transportam para o local de execução, chamado Boughton"

Outra fonte registra que os criminosos foram entregues "em Glovers Stoune a tal oficial da Cidade de Chester, e daí para chicoteá-los através da Cidade".

Nos anos seguintes, o que se conjectura ser a velha Pedra de Glovers que por muito tempo marcava a fronteira desta 'terra de ninguém' entre as autoridades da Coroa e da Cidade fora do portão do castelo foi movido para uma pequena área de jardim sob as muralhas da cidade e perto do Torre de água, onde ainda pode ser visto hoje.

Em 1696, uma casa da moeda foi criada em Chester Castle. Isso foi parte de um esforço para renovar completamente a moeda do país, e o homem responsável em Londres era um Isaac Newton (mais tarde nomeado cavaleiro por esses esforços, mas não por sua ciência). Para assumir o comando da Casa da Moeda de Chester, ele nomeou o grande astrônomo Edmund Halley (ele de fama de cometa), que passou dois anos aqui. O local da casa da moeda é marcado em placas colocadas pelo English Heritage, logo atrás da Half Moon Tower - e você pode ler algumas das lembranças de Halley de seu tempo em Chester aqui.

Hoje, incidentalmente, a moeda da Grã-Bretanha - e também as moedas e cédulas de muitos outros países - é produzida em apenas um local, a Casa da Moeda Real em Pontyclun, South Wales.

As duas aquarelas acima por Moses Griffith (1747-1819) mostra o Chester Castle como ele apareceu por volta de 1750, trinta e tantos anos antes de sua quase total demolição e reconstrução - assim como o belo desenho moderno no alto da página de David Vale. Quando vemos os magníficos restos de Castelo de Conwy e as outras grandes fortalezas eduardianas da vizinha Gales do Norte, é fácil sentir um grande pesar que mais da antiga estrutura do Castelo de Chester não foi permitido sobreviver até os dias atuais.

Na ilustração, você pode ver do outro lado do pátio externo até o grande portal externo, construído por volta de 1292, cujas duas torres altas de meio tambor flanqueavam uma ponte levadiça através de um fosso cortado mais de oito metros abaixo da superfície moderna. À esquerda está o Grande Salão ou Salão do Condado de 1250-3 (reconstruído em 1579-81) que abrigava os tribunais dos juízes do condado e em sua extremidade sul estava localizado o Tribunal do Tesouro do Palatino do Condado de Chester. Foi aqui, em 3 de fevereiro de 1646, que os cidadãos de Chester concluíram a capitulação de sua cidade ao Parlamento após um cerco longo e sangrento.

À direita: Chester Castle conforme registrado em bico de pena em 'Vale Royal of England' de Daniel King, 1656, uma década após o fim da Guerra Civil. Igreja de Santa Maria, a velha Bridgegate e as fortificações desaparecidas na extremidade sul da Ponte Velha Dee também são claramente visíveis.

Também podemos ver a igreja de St. Mary-on-the-Hill (uma fundação normanda, reconstruída no século 16 e restaurada por Harrison em 1861-2, e novamente por Seddon em 1891) na extrema esquerda e acima dela o Old Dee Bridge cruza o rio Dee, tanto quanto continua a fazer até hoje. A igreja também é conhecida como St. Mary-Within-the-Walls para distingui-la da primeira igreja a ser construída do outro lado do rio, St. Mary-Without-the-Walls em Handbridge, cuja bela torre alta é claramente visível de todos os lados. Construído em 1887, ocupando o local de um cemitério romano, foi um presente do Duque de Westminster para a cidade.

St. Mary-Within-the-Walls, no entanto, tem uma história muito mais abrangente. A igreja original no local, datada do início do século 12, era conhecida como Santa Maria de Castro ('do Castelo'). O pórtico da estrutura atual contém pedras trazidas do convento de Santa Maria, que antes ficava com vista para o Roodee onde o feio prédio do QG da Polícia está agora. A torre já foi muito mais baixa do que é hoje - como precaução contra ataques, era proibido a qualquer edifício vizinho ter vista para as paredes do castelo. As partes superiores da torre com ornamentos esculpidos que vemos hoje foram adicionadas pelo reconstrutor do castelo, Thomas Harrison, em meados do século XIX. O interior da igreja é muito fino e possui um esplêndido telhado interno de carvalho inglês, trazido de Abadia de Basingwerk (cujas ruínas pitorescas ainda sobrevivem perto de Holywell no Norte de Gales) quando esse estabelecimento foi dissolvido pelos agentes do rei Henrique VIII. Muitos dos maiores cidadãos de Chester foram enterrados aqui e alguns de seus monumentos provavelmente surpreenderão o visitante, pois são pintados em cores vivas. A igreja foi desconsagrada em 1972 e hoje abriga um centro educacional administrado pelo Conselho do Condado de Cheshire.

No século 18, um evento notável no início da história da aviação ocorreu em Chester Castle, que foi registrado um ano após sua realização pelo & lsquopilot & rsquo, Thomas Baldwin, em seu livro, AIROPAIDIA: Contendo a Narrativa de uma EXCURSÃO DE BALÃO de CHESTER.

Ele escreveu, & ldquoNa quinta-feira, 8 de setembro de 1785, às seis da manhã, um dos canhões (um canhão de seis libras) foi disparado pela primeira vez no pátio do castelo, para informar à cidade e ao bairro que estavam sendo feitos os preparativos necessários para encher o balão Em xii, o canhão disparou uma segunda vez, para anunciar que o processo estava em um grau adequado de avanço.
Antes da uma e meia, o Sr. Lunardi havia inflado seu balão da melhor maneira e à uma e 40 minutos, o Balão tendo uma leveza que não menos de 20 libras de peso compensaria, o Sr. Baldwin foi libertado pelas mãos do Sr. Lunardi, que não permitiu que ninguém se aproximasse do carro.
O carro pousou pela primeira vez às três e 28 minutos, em um campo pertencente a uma fazenda chamada Bellair, no município de Kingsley, cerca de três quilômetros a leste ao sul da cidade de Frodsham e a doze de Chester. Ele pousou exatamente 7 minutos antes das quatro, perto do meio de Rixton Moss e em seu retorno a Chester no dia seguinte, ele foi recebido pelo Band da Milícia e conduzido com altos huzzas em sua cidade natal. & Rdquo

Este evento histórico ocorreu menos de dois anos após o primeiro vôo tripulado do mundo, o da Irmãos Montgolfier ' balão em Paris em 21 de novembro de 1783.

Por volta de 1780, 100 anos após a Vale Royal entrada foi escrita, as velhas pedras do castelo medieval de Chester foram varridas para dar lugar aos edifícios que vemos hoje. Este grande complexo de Shire Hall, tribunais, prisão, arsenal e quartel foi projetado, após vencer um concurso - e um prêmio de 50 guinéus - por Thomas Harrison- então um arquiteto relativamente obscuro com muito poucos edifícios em seu nome - e foi erguido entre os anos de 1785 e 1822.

Harrison (1744-1829) nasceu em Richmond, Yorkshire, filho de um marceneiro. Seu talento inicial para a mecânica, matemática e desenho lhe rendeu o patrocínio de um nobre local, que o enviou naquela experiência essencial na educação de um jovem privilegiado da época - o Grande Tour da Itália, onde - apesar de não ter arquitetura formal treinamento - ele ganhou uma reputação com base em seus projetos para uma série de edifícios em Roma - embora nenhum tenha sido construído.

Ao retornar à Inglaterra, Harrison trabalhou em algumas pequenas encomendas de arquitetura antes de vencer o concurso de Chester aos 40 anos. A encomenda era originalmente apenas para uma nova prisão (veja a próxima página), mas mais tarde foi estendida para cobrir a reconstrução do Condado medieval Hall - infelizmente para nós: segundo todos os relatos, tinha sido um edifício muito bonito e impressionante - e em 1804, ampliado novamente para incluir novos quartéis e blocos de arsenais.

Quando concluído, o complexo cobria uma área muito maior do que o antigo castelo, estendendo-se muito além das paredes de cortina medievais. Para completar seu esquema, Harrison projetou uma nova entrada impressionante no estilo dórico grego, que foi erguida entre 1810 e 1822, uma estrutura independente semelhante ao famoso Portão de Brandemburgo de Berlim - construído cerca de vinte anos antes - e disse ser baseada no Propileu da Acrópole em Atenas.

O centro dos novos edifícios legais era o Tribunal de Justiça com seu pórtico maciço e impressionante. Cada uma de suas doze colunas dóricas é formada por uma única pedra de 7 metros de altura. Quando a primeira delas foi erguida, com grande cerimônia, dentro de uma cavidade no pedestal foi colocada uma caixa de chumbo, dentro da qual estava uma pequena urna Wedgewood, esta por sua vez contendo várias moedas do dia. Uma placa de latão gravada foi fixada sobre a cavidade antes que a coluna fosse posicionada.

Devido às fundações do tribunal estarem situadas sobre o antigo fosso do castelo medieval, ocorreram rachaduras estruturais consideráveis ​​e quando, em 1920, grandes reparos foram realizados, esta urna foi encontrada junto com, sob outra coluna, uma pequena caixa de rapé de latão que pertencera ao almirante Lord Nelson, que também continha moedas. Quando as colunas foram reerguidas em 1922, a urna foi substituída no local, tendo sido adicionadas moedas datadas de 1921-22. A caixa de rapé, no entanto, foi adicionada à coleção de relíquias do Regimento de Cheshire.

O interior do pátio foi construído em semicírculo com doze colunas jônicas como suporte. Originalmente, a sala de aposentadoria do júri e a guarita dos carcereiros ficavam à esquerda do tribunal, assim como a entrada das celas, cujo nível inferior era ocupado pelos criminosos e o superior pelos devedores. As celas superiores sobrevivem hoje e são usadas para o alojamento diário de prisioneiros que aguardam sua aparição no que hoje é o Tribunal da Coroa de Chester. Muitos julgamentos famosos ocorreram aqui ao longo dos anos, nenhum mais notório do que o de Brady e Hindley, os 'Moors Murderers' em 1966.

& quotVocê quer que eu vá para Chester e trabalhe lá agora? Eu não gosto de pensar nisso. Se eu for para Chester e trabalhar lá, não posso ser meu próprio homem. Devo trabalhar com um mestre, e talvez ele e eu devamos brigar, e quando brigo, estou apto a bater nas pessoas, e aqueles que atingem as pessoas às vezes são enviado para a prisão, não gosto da ideia de ir para Chester ou para a prisão de Chester. O que você acha que eu poderia ganhar no Chester? & Quot
Tinker: & quotUma questão de onze xelins por semana, se alguém o empregasse, o que não creio que fariam com essas suas mãos. Mas, quer quisessem ou não, se você fosse briguento, não deveria ir a Chester, pois logo estaria no castelo & quot.
George Borrow: Lavengro (1851)


Acima, à esquerda: o castelo reconstruído de Thomas Harrison como o vemos hoje. Certo: o que ainda poderíamos ter se a reconstrução não tivesse ocorrido - uma recriação incrível por Martin Moss do castelo medieval cercado pelo tráfego e estruturas da moderna Chester. O castelo apresenta em outra obra de Martin, uma vista notável de Chester do outro lado da River Dee por volta do ano de 1750.

Agora vá para a parte II de nossa exploração do Castelo de Chester.

    1637 O xerife Wilcock foi preso por prender os bens de Robert Green com espadas desembainhadas, em seu próprio processo, sem procedimentos anteriores na lei, dois sargentos-em-maça tiveram seus vestidos retirados. O primeiro serviço público de ônibus começou entre Birmingham e Holyhead, via Nantwich e Chester. Tortura abolida na Inglaterra.

Ajude a manter o Chester Virtual Stroll crescendo e atualizado: por favor doe!


Dentro do Castelo de Chester

Quadro de informações.

Torre de Agrícola ou Torre de Júlio César


The Congdons em St. Paul

Chester e Clara se estabeleceram em St. Paul - primeiro em quartos modestos de pensão e depois em 65 Wilkin Street em Irvine Park - e imediatamente começaram a constituir família. Walter Bannister Congdon, o primeiro de sete filhos, nasceu em St. Paul em novembro de 1882. Em maio seguinte, os Congdons fixaram residência na metade inferior de um duplex em 325 South Franklin Avenue, onde seu segundo filho, Edward Chester, estava nascido em maio de 1885 e sua primeira filha, Marjorie, veio ao mundo em janeiro de 1887. A família mudou-se novamente no ano seguinte, para 546 Selby Avenue em um penhasco com vista para a cidade, e em fevereiro de 1889 Chester e Clara acrescentaram Helen Clara ao seu ninhada. Outra criança, John Robert, nasceu em maio de 1891.

A vida em St. Paul para os Congdons foi pontuada por visitas frequentes da mãe e do irmão de Chester, bem como da família de Clara, especialmente sua irmã Mary e o velho amigo de Chester, Harry Heermans. O reverendo Charles W. Bennet, que oficiou a cerimônia de casamento dos Congdons, viajou de Syracuse para batizar Edward, Marjorie e Helen. O irmão de Bennet, Bill, outro amigo próximo, na verdade viveu com os Congdons por quase dois anos. O diário de Clara está repleto de anotações de uma mãe, como as primeiras palavras de cada criança (uma das de Walter era "gatinho") e a preocupação de cada mãe: doenças infantis. Edward trouxe sarampo para os irmãos, Walter passou a catapora para todos e Helen espalhou a tosse convulsa pela casa.

Chester manteve seu trabalho como promotor público assistente dos Estados Unidos até 1884, quando se demitiu para abrir sua própria empresa. Nos seis anos seguintes, a lista de clientes da Congdon se expandiu rapidamente. À medida que sua família e riqueza cresciam, Congdon encontrou oportunidades para viajar e se interessou por ações de mineração do oeste, chegando a visitar Butte, Montana, onde investiu na mina de cobre Gold Flint. Ele também viajou para o noroeste do Pacífico em 1887. Congdon e Harry Heermans compraram terras ao longo de Puget Sound para se desenvolver como Grays Harbor. Congdon também adquiriu terras no Vale de Yakima que esperava desenvolver para a agricultura.

Suas viagens de trabalho também o levavam frequentemente a Duluth, então uma metrópole em expansão. Lá, ele visitou seu velho amigo William Billson, que havia se mudado para a “Cidade Zenith dos Mares Sem Sal” em meados da década de 1880 e estabelecido um consultório particular de muito sucesso. Billson falou com entusiasmo sobre o futuro da cidade e sugeriu que Congdon se mudasse para Duluth e fosse parceiro em sua prática jurídica. Congdon aceitou e, em 1892, a família Congdon mudou-se para Duluth.


Castelo de Chester: Torre Agrícola, Chester, Cheshire

Este portal do século 12 é a única parte sobrevivente do castelo medieval de Chester, além das ruínas da torre conhecida como Torre da Bandeira e uma seção da parede cortina. Construído por Guilherme, o Conquistador, em 1070, o castelo tornou-se o centro administrativo do Conde de Chester. Hugh D’Avranches foi o primeiro detentor do título de Conde de Chester, e o castelo tornou-se propriedade da coroa em 1237. O motte de madeira original e o castelo do muro foram reconstruídos em pedra no século 12, junto com o pátio externo. O portal de pedra para o pátio interno também foi adicionado. Hoje é conhecida como Torre Agrícola e contém uma capela abobadada com afrescos que datam do século XIII.

Chester foi importante estrategicamente, uma vez que foi o local de resistência a Guilherme, o Conquistador, que o venceu em 1070. As defesas medievais originais ficavam no local da antiga fortaleza romana. Durante o século XIII, as muralhas da cidade foram reconstruídas, em grande parte devido à ameaça do ressurgente galês sob seus líderes Llywelyn, o Grande e Llywelyn, o Último. No entanto, após a conquista do País de Gales por Eduardo I, Chester perdeu importância. Durante a Guerra Civil, Chester foi uma fortaleza realista. Com as defesas de barro adicionadas às existentes, os monarquistas conseguiram resistir às forças parlamentares por algum tempo. Em 1793, grande parte do local foi liberado para um novo edifício de grande porte. O restante do castelo foi destruído por um incêndio no final do século XVIII.


Descrição

O Castelo de Chester fica na parte sudoeste da cidade murada. Na Idade Média, consistia em uma muralha externa - remodelada no início do século 19 - e em uma muralha interna. Todas as partes medievais restantes ficam no que antes era o pátio interno, alcançado através de uma arcada no canto direito do campo de desfile.

No pátio interno, o edifício imponente à sua frente é a Napier House, construída em 1830 como um arsenal e quartel. À sua esquerda está a Sala da Guarda, que abriga uma exposição sobre a história do castelo. Atrás dela fica a Torre Agrícola do século XII, a porta de entrada original para o castelo, o arco de passagem bloqueado ainda é visível.

No primeiro andar fica a capela de Santa Maria de Castro, que contém os restos de algumas pinturas murais de alta qualidade de cerca de 1240. A pesada porta revestida a cobre data do início do século XIX, quando a capela era usada como pólvora armazenar.

Ao sair da torre e subir as escadas para as paredes, pode apreciar a localização do castelo dentro da cidade. Abaixo, à sua esquerda, está a Old Dee Bridge, a rota tradicional para o norte do País de Gales, e ao redor à sua direita está Roodee, a área portuária assoreada de Chester. Atrás da Napier House está uma plataforma de armas, construída para defesa em 1745 em resposta ao levante jacobita de Bonnie Prince Charlie. Observe as etapas que conduzem ao porto sally.

Continue até o topo da rampa que leva de volta ao pátio do pátio interno. Esta área elevada incorpora o "motte" normando ou monte do castelo original (melhor visto de fora do castelo). À sua esquerda, no local da torre de menagem original, fica a Praça da Torre da Bandeira medieval. O prédio pintado de branco ao lado é a Casa do Frobisher ou Furbisher, em homenagem ao oficial encarregado de supervisionar o armazenamento de armas no castelo.


Sobre a vila

A Chesterland Historical Foundation começou com uma doação de cinco acres de terra na esquina de Caves e Mayfield Roads pela Sra. Stockton, filha de Walter White, um industrial de Cleveland. Os White tinham uma casa em Chester, agora no local da Hawken School, e ela decidiu que um pouco do sabor histórico do município deveria ser preservado, então, em 1973, ela doou a área onde ficava a Escola de Escócia de 1847, com a estipulação de que o terreno seja utilizado para preservar e divulgar a história do município.

Ao longo das três décadas seguintes, a fundação obteve e restaurou cinco estruturas principais, além de várias outras menores, todas mantendo as características históricas presentes quando foram originalmente construídas.

No local, a fundação mantém…

  • A Câmara Municipal de Chester. Originalmente construído em 1850 e situado na esquina de Sherman e Chillicothe Roads, foi transferido para o local atual em 1981. Hoje, ele serve como o ponto focal da fundação com suas reuniões mensais e anuais realizadas em sua grande sala aberta.
  • Casa Silas Tanner. Construída em 1842 na esquina de Mayfield e Buckeye Roads, foi transferida para sua localização atual em 1 de junho de 1987. Grande parte desta casa mantém sua aparência histórica original, com uma seção do corredor superior emoldurada para revelar sua construção original ... e até mesmo algum papel de parede original!
  • Celeiro da família de pedra. Doado à fundação há muitos anos, foi parcialmente restaurado quando reconstruído no local. Uma olhada no interior revela sua construção original de coluna e viga.
  • T.J. Thayer General Store. Originalmente situado próximo ao que é hoje Bloom Brothers na Mayfield Road, foi transferido para sua localização atual no final dos anos 1990, com a restauração concluída em 2009. A loja foi construída para T.J. Thayer, um comerciante local que tinha lojas em outras localidades, uma das quais em Mulberry Corners. Ele administrou a loja por vários anos e, após uma sucessão de proprietários, ela ficou conhecida como Scotland Store. Após sua doação à fundação e sua mudança, o nome foi alterado de volta para o que era originalmente conhecido. O interior apresenta um layout muito semelhante ao que seria em 1899, ano de inauguração da loja.
  • Escola da Escócia. Originalmente construído em 1847, foi usado como escola de uma sala até 1926, quando foi fechado. Mais tarde, usado para armazenamento de tratores agrícolas até 1975, quando a restauração do prédio começou. Hoje, a escola se parece muito com o que era no século 19, quando era conhecida como Escola Distrital # 2.
  • Estação Interurbana. Começando por volta de 1899, o condado de Geauga foi atendido por trens elétricos do leste do condado de Cuyahoga. O serviço passou por Chester e realmente cruzou os fundos do local da aldeia. A estação interurbana foi transferida para sua localização atual em 22 de abril de 1987 e um pouco depois, um trecho de trilhos foi colocado para melhorar o local.
  • A aldeia também tem um pequeno galpão de lenha e um banheiro externo, localizados atrás da escola, praticamente no mesmo local que os originais. Além disso, outra casinha, originalmente localizada na entrada do Chester Caves Resort, foi movida para trás da casa de Tanner em 2008, complementando a casa.

Projeto de reconstrução do celeiro da família de pedra
Ajude-nos com a restauração de nosso celeiro no local, comprando um título de celeiro. O trabalho começou, mas precisamos da sua ajuda para concluí-lo. Sua doação dedutível de impostos, na forma de um título, irá para o pagamento do trabalho necessário para reconstruir um pedaço da história de Chesterland. E você receberá um pequeno presente como um símbolo de nosso agradecimento!

Mais informações sobre os títulos e sua compra podem ser encontradas aqui.

Projeto de passarela e jardim de tijolos

Situado na frente da casa de Tanner de 1842, a passarela é forrada com tijolos inscritos com nomes e mensagens de pessoas que optaram por apoiar o Village comprando um tijolo memorial.

Você está cordialmente convidado a se juntar ao número crescente de pessoas que optaram por nos apoiar comprando um tijolo com inscrição por US $ 40. Para obter mais informações sobre o programa, clique aqui.

Fotos da restauração da loja na Escócia:

Aqui estão algumas fotos da Scotland Store, tiradas durante a restauração do armazém geral do final do século 19. Se desejar mais detalhes, clique aqui.

A General Store de 1899 como parecia na primavera de 2006.

Aqui está no dia da inauguração, 16 de junho de 2008. O exterior está completo e o interior quase isso. Só faltou fazer um pouco de paisagismo!

The Chesterland Historical Foundation
está buscando doações de itens de época para expor na loja. Entre em contato com o webmaster se desejar mais informações sobre doações!

A antiga prefeitura de 1850 mudou-se da esquina das estradas Sherman e Chillicothe.

A casa de Silas Tanner de 1842, realocada na esquina das estradas Buckeye e Mayfield.

Você está convidado e encorajado ...

… Para participar na manutenção da história viva, juntando-se à Fundação Histórica de Chesterland.

• Anuidades:
• Solteiro: $ 20,00
• Família: $ 30,00
• Negócios: $ 35,00
• Patrono: $ 100,00
• Vitalício: $ 200,00


Chester Castle

Chester Castle está situado na extremidade sudoeste da área delimitada pelas muralhas da cidade e com vista para o rio Dee. O castelo foi construído em 1070 por Hugh d'Avranches, o segundo conde de Chester e recebeu visitas de muitas figuras poderosas do período medieval, incluindo os reis Eduardo I e Ricardo II.

A estrutura original teria sido um castelo saxão motte-and-bailey com uma torre de madeira, que foi substituída no século 12 por uma torre quadrada de pedra, a Torre da Bandeira. The walls of an outer bailey were built in the 13th century, during the reign of Henry III.

Prominent people held as prisoners in the crypt of the Agricola Tower were Richard II and Eleanor Cobham, and Andrew de Moray, hero of the Battle of Stirling Bridge. The Agricola Tower is a Grade I listed building. It is built in sandstone ashlar with a metal roof in three storeys.


THE HOUSE THAT LOVE BUILT

Thornewood Castle was built to the specifications of Mr. Chester Thorne and his wife, Anna. Chester, having been a successful financier and one of the founders of the Port of Tacoma, spared no expense when it came to the planning and construction of this unique country estate for his family.

The creation of Thornewood was truly a labor of love. In 1907, Mr. Thorne purchased a 400-year-old Elizabethan manor in England and had parts of it dismantled and shipped piece by piece to be included in the main house. Renowned architect Kirtland Kelsey Cutter was in charge of this most interesting Tudor Gothic project.

Thornewood Castle is constructed with concrete and steel on a solid three-foot-thick foundation. Exterior walls are brick and concrete with steel reinforcement. The floors are ten inches of concrete. Construction took three years to complete, from 1908 to 1911, with many of the materials, including the front door, oak paneling, and oak staircase, coming from the castle in England. The red brick facing on the outside of the estate was imported from Wales. Three ships were commissioned to transport these building supplies around Cape Horn to the Pacific Northwest.


CASTELO

Founded by William I in 1070, the castle shortly afterwards came under the control of the earl of Chester and thereafter descended with the earldom. (fn. 1) It was temporarily in royal hands during the minorities of Earl Hugh II (1153–62) and Earl Ranulph III (1181–7), and passed permanently to the Crown with the earldom in 1237. (fn. 2) In 1254 it was granted to Henry III's son, the Lord Edward. (fn. 3) Acquired by Simon de Montfort after the battle of Lewes in 1264, (fn. 4) it was recovered by Edward in 1265 (fn. 5) and remained with the Crown until 1322, when it was granted to Edward II's favourite, Hugh Despenser the younger. (fn. 6) With Despenser's fall in 1326 it reverted to the king, and thereafter it continued Crown property until the Interregnum. (fn. 7) Although the Crown resumed control at the Restoration, thereafter upkeep of the shire hall and other county buildings increasingly devolved upon quarter sessions, and from 1690 became their responsibility alone. The Crown, however, continued to maintain the military buildings and fortifications. (fn. 8) Those Ad hoc arrangements were formalized under Acts of 1788 and 1807 which vested new county buildings occupying roughly the site of the former outer bailey in the custos rotulorum of Cheshire. (fn. 9) The dual ownership thus established remained substantially unchanged in 2000.

Administrative And Military Functions

The castle was both the occasional residence of the Norman earls and their principal administrative centre, the base of such officials as the justice and chamberlain of Chester, their deputies and clerks. (fn. 10) Accounts were rendered at the exchequer there, and it was the location of the earl's chief court and prison. (fn. 11) Attached to it were certain lands. By the later 13th century, probably under an ancient arrangement, the castle demesne included 82 a. of land and 3 a. of meadow within the Earl's Eye, Handbridge, Brewer's Hall, Saltney, and Marlston cum Lache, all lying south of the Dee. (fn. 12)

After 1237 the castle remained the administrative centre of the palatinate, at first in the hands of royal keepers, later directly under the supervision of the Crown. (fn. 13) Daily administration was by a constable, first recorded c. 1216, (fn. 14) assisted by a staff generally including a keeper of the gaol, janitors of the upper and lower wards, serjeants, watchmen, chaplains, and clerks. (nota 15)

An important base for royal operations against the Welsh, the castle was visited by Henry III in 1241 before he overran north Wales, and again in 1245. (fn. 16) The Lord Edward also used it as a base during the Welsh wars of 1256–67. (fn. 17) Its significance is reflected in his forceful action to recover it from Montfort's officials in 1265, when it was besieged for over 10 weeks by an army led by James of Audley and Urien of St. Pierre, and eventually surrendered to Edward in person. (fn. 18) After Edward's accession in 1272, the castle attained its greatest importance during the conquest of Wales. The king stayed there while fruitlessly awaiting Llywelyn ap Gruffudd's response to his summons to do homage in 1275 and again in 1277, (fn. 19) and in 1276 it was the supply base of William de Beauchamp, earl of Warwick. (fn. 20) In the second and third campaigns of 1282–3 and 1294 it was again the king's headquarters and an important military base. (fn. 21)

Though the castle's military importance declined after 1300, in the early 14th century it was relatively well maintained. In Edward I's later years it seems to have been well supplied with arms and provisions, and was the base of a craftsman engaged in making weaponry (attilliator) (fn. 22) Edward II also repaired the castle and provided it with stores and armour, though elsewhere his castles suffered from neglect. (fn. 23) There was still a resident staff of 12 in 1313. (fn. 24) The king ordered the castle to be put into a state of defence in 1317, (fn. 25) and after his fall in 1327 custody was granted to Thomas of Warwick and orders were issued for its provisioning and repair. (fn. 26) In 1329 a new attilliator was appointed. (fn. 27) By then, however, the castle seems to have served primarily as an administrative centre. (nota 28)

In the last years of Richard II's reign the castle again became a favoured royal base. In 1396 the office of master mason, which had lapsed in 1374, was reintroduced, and in 1397 the office of keeper of the king's artillery in Cheshire and Flintshire first appeared. (fn. 29) Bolingbroke stayed there twice in 1399, (fn. 30) and in 1400 the castle, then occupied by the chamberlain of Chester, the county sheriff, and the constable, was unsuccessfully besieged during the Earls' Rising. (fn. 31) The rebellion temporarily enhanced the castle's military importance: early in 1400 it was garrisoned by 8 men-at-arms and 35 archers, and even in 1404 it was still protected by 8 archers. It also contained considerable stores of weapons and supplies. (fn. 32)

The Lancastrians replaced senior officials, including the constable, but left undisturbed such lesser men as the keeper of the artillery and the master carpenter. (fn. 33) The castle became primarily an administrative centre and a place of storage for the palatinate records, (fn. 34) and its military and strategic role again declined. Even so, the charter granted to the mayor and citizens of Chester in 1506 maintained its independence of the city. (nota 35)

The castle became a base of the county justices introduced in 1536, (fn. 36) and in the later 16th century remained the seat of the principal palatine officials, including the vice-chamberlain it also provided supplies and lodging for soldiers before they embarked for Ireland, especially during the revolt of 1579–81. (fn. 37) During the Civil War siege of Chester it was the royalist headquarters, with a garrison commanded from 1642 by a military governor. It escaped physical damage and in 1646 was surrendered with all its arms, ordnance, and ammunition intact, to become the headquarters of a parliamentary garrison under a new military governor. (fn. 38) During the Interregnum it remained a supply base for parliamentary troops in Ireland, (fn. 39) and the location of monthly courts held by the county sheriff in the shire hall. (fn. 40) In 1659 it was put into a state of defence during the rising of Sir George Booth, and shots were exchanged with the royalists who had entered the city. (fn. 41)

The Cromwellian governor, Robert Venables, was removed in 1660. (fn. 42) Thereafter there seems to have been no garrison until 1662, when Sir Theophilus Gilbey was granted a warrant to enlist, arm, and keep under array c. 60 foot soldiers. The castle, whose strategic importance on the route to north Wales and Ireland continued to be recognized, was then felt to be in need of defence against sedition aroused by dispossessed nonconformist ministers. Late in 1662 Sir Evan Lloyd was appointed governor and shortly afterwards Gilbey asked for provisions, weaponry, and soldiers (fn. 43) a garrison was then thought necessary to safeguard against the great numbers of Presbyterians in and around Cheshire. (fn. 44) After the 1660s, however, royal interest seems to have waned, though Chester remained one of the army's principal strongholds, under the command of a governor and much visited by dignitaries travelling to and from Ireland. (fn. 45)

In 1680 the governor, Sir Geoffrey Shakerley, was ordered to disband the foot company garrisoning the castle, and by 1681 there remained only three gunners. (fn. 46) At the time of the duke of Monmouth's visit in 1682 its undefended state caused the government alarm. New commissions to act as governor were issued to Shakerley and then to his son Peter, and a new garrison was installed. (fn. 47)

The castle retained its large garrison in James II's reign with men quartered in public houses and private dwellings (fn. 48) a Roman Catholic chaplain was appointed, and in 1687 the king worshipped there. (fn. 49) Just before the fall of James, it housed eight companies of soldiers from Ireland, (fn. 50) together with arms and ammunition, maintained by a newly appointed 'furbisher' and supplied to troops travelling through Chester. (fn. 51)

Peter Shakerley was replaced as governor in 1689 by Sir John Morgan, Bt. Alarmed about the security of the numerous Irish prisoners because of Roman Catholic infiltration of the soldiery, he requested two new companies of 100 men, and by 1690 was involved in transporting troops to Ireland to repress Jacobites there. (fn. 52) Under his successor, however, the castle seems to have been less heavily manned, and in 1694 a company of c. 90 invalids was drawn from Chelsea hospital to form the garrison. (fn. 53) In 1696 the castle became one of five provincial centres to receive a mint for the recoinage. Staffed by a deputy comptroller (the astronomer Edmund Halley), a warden, master, assayer, and five other officials, it followed the processes used in London, issuing half-crowns, shillings, and sixpences, but functioned only until 1698. (fn. 54)

In the 18th century the castle's military significance declined. In the reign of George I military stores and ordnance, dating perhaps from the Civil War, were removed to the Tower of London. By 1728, though still commanded by a governor with two companies of invalid soldiers, the castle was described as 'destitute of arms almost for common defence'. (fn. 55) In 1745 an attack by the Jacobites was feared and attempts were made to remedy the situation, but in the event the castle saw no action. (fn. 56) The two companies of invalids remained until 1801, when they were disbanded, (fn. 57) but the castle was still notionally a garrison until 1843, commanded by a high-ranking governor and lieutenant-governor. (fn. 58) The rebuildings of the early 19th century had included barracks for 120 men and an armoury capable of storing 30,000 stand of arms. (fn. 59)

By the 1860s the castle was garrisoned by a company from a regiment stationed in Manchester and there was no barrack master. It was thus relatively unguarded, and in 1867 the Liverpool Fenians planned an attack. The plot was discovered and the garrison of 65 soldiers and 27 militiamen was reinforced by three additional companies from Manchester, local Volunteers, and, eventually, several hundred men from London and Aldershot (Hants). Although over 1,300 suspects were believed to have gathered in the city, and arms and ammunition were discovered in the suburbs, no attack took place. (nota 60)

In 1873 the castle became the depot for the 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment. (fn. 61) The former exchequer court, housed in a block designed as barracks until its abolition in 1836, was transferred to the War Department in 1892. (fn. 62) Part of the block was made into the regimental museum in 1972. (fn. 63) In 2000 the castle remained the home of the regiment and of the Crown courts, for which a new building was provided in 1993. A new magistrates' court, designed by the county architect, was opened in Grosvenor Street in 1992. (fn. 64)

Buildings

The complex no longer looks like a castle: the medieval remains are fragmentary and the site is dominated by buildings erected in the late 18th and the early 19th century. From the late 11th century there survives only the castle mound, part of a motte and bailey whose outer ward was probably co-extensive with the later inner ward. The earliest buildings, presumably of wood, were from the 12th century replaced in stone. There was building while the castle was in royal hands, and particularly heavy expenditure in 1159–60, when £102 was spent on works and fortifications and £20 on the castle bridge. There is, however, no reason to suppose that such activity was confined to periods of royal guardianship it is especially likely that there was building under Earl Ranulph III, who also established a new castle at Beeston in the 1220s. (fn. 65) The new defences, which incorporated an earlier keep and enclosed what became the inner ward, almost certainly consisted of a stone wall with square towers characterized by flat corner buttresses. (fn. 66) Two of the towers survived in 2000: the Flag Tower on the site of the early keep, and the Agricola Tower, built c. 1210 as the gatehouse and chapel. (fn. 67) Either may have been the 'keep' approached by a bridge mentioned in 1238. (fn. 68) The chapel in the Agricola Tower, the capitals and vaulting of which are closely related to those in the east chapel in the north transept of Chester abbey, was adorned with paintings soon after its completion. Not long afterwards, perhaps in the early years of Henry III's reign, they were replaced by a second decorative scheme, of very high quality and focused upon the Virgin. (nota 69)

Chester castle from outer ward, 1777: great hall (left), inner ward (background), well house (right)

Before the mid 13th century the castle was greatly enlarged by the addition north-west of the inner ward of a spacious outer bailey fortified by wooden palisading (fn. 70) both enclosures seem to have contained halls from an early date. (fn. 71) From the early 12th century there was also a garden in the castle ditch, later reputed to contain Earl Ranulph III's 'resting-tree'. (nota 72)

Royal ownership conferred a new importance on the castle, reflected in improvements to the fabric. In 1241 Henry III's first visit occasioned the construction of an 'oriel' before the doorway of the king's chapel, (fn. 73) and in 1245 the king's apartments were repaired, the paintings in the queen's chamber were renewed, and a bridge was made from the castle into the orchard to enable the king and queen to take exercise. (fn. 74) More significant was a series of major works in the later 1240s and early 1250s, which marked the beginning of the removal of the principal apartments to the outer bailey. Between 1246 and 1248 a chamber over a cellar was erected at the considerable cost of nearly £220 and the wooden palisade of the outer bailey was replaced by a stone wall in 1249 the hall in the outer bailey was demolished and a new one, which was to cost over £350, was begun. (fn. 75) Though the work was still unfinished in 1253, (fn. 76) probably by then much had been achieved early to mid 13th-century features long survived in the south-west gable of the hall and inside the adjacent building, later known as the parliament chamber and originally perhaps a chapel. (fn. 77) Thereafter, the structure in the outer ward was designated the great hall and that in the inner ward the lesser hall. (nota 78)

Under Edward I the royal accommodation was further improved and enlarged. Repairs were undertaken in 1275, and in 1276 the 'king's houses' in the outer bailey were renovated for the earl of Warwick and given a new chapel. (fn. 79) In 1283 Edward I's visit necessitated further repairs to the hall and royal apartments, and to towers and domestic buildings in both wards. (fn. 80) New domestic buildings were begun in 1284, and between then and 1291 over £1,400 was spent. The major works, under the supervision of a Master William, included repairs to the king's houses, new chambers for the king and queen, and a stable, all probably in the outer bailey north and east of the great hall. (fn. 81) Further work in 1292–3 included a new gatehouse to the outer ward which cost over £318 and eventually comprised twin drum towers, a vaulted passageway with two portcullises, and extensive accommodation, including a prison. The master of works was William of Marlow, presumably the mason engaged at the castle in 1284–91. (fn. 82) Either then or a little earlier, a new inner gatehouse was built west of the Agricola Tower, which was blocked and given a new staircase, presumably in preparation for the conversion of its chapel into a treasury in 1301. (fn. 83) The decorative scheme in the tower chapel was then covered with limewash, removed only in the 1990s. (fn. 84)

By 1294 the castle comprised an inner bailey with hall, chapel, and apartments, and an outer bailey with great hall, exchequer, and further apartments for the king and queen, including separate chapels. (fn. 85) The decoration of the chapels and living quarters continued into the 14th century. Ten ceiling corbels in the king's great chamber were coloured c. 1299, and shortly afterwards William of Northampton adorned the 'lesser chapel near the great hall' with a depiction of the murder of Thomas Becket. By then, too, glass windows had been installed in the 'greater' and 'lesser' chapels. (fn. 86)

All such work was under the control of Richard the engineer, perhaps as early as the 1270s and certainly by 1300. A royal architect much involved in the construction of the Welsh castles and a local man of substance, he retained the post of engineer until his death in 1315. After 1325 the office was discontinued and work was in the hands of master carpenters and masons, assisted by a small permanent staff. (fn. 87)

The castle's principal officials resided in the inner ward, where in 1328 the justice of Chester's deputy had his hall, chamber, and a new kitchen, and where Damory's Tower contained the former chamber of the justice himself. The constable also then had his lodgings in the inner ward. (fn. 88) The main administrative buildings, the shire hall and exchequer, were for long in the outer bailey, but in 1310 the shire hall was removed to a new position just outside the main gate. (fn. 89) A new exchequer was built within the castle in 1355, but in 1401 it too was moved outside to a building adjoining the shire hall. (fn. 90)

Although large sums were spent on repairs in the early years of Edward II's reign, especially to the outer gatehouse, (fn. 91) after 1329 the fabric suffered long periods of neglect, punctuated by occasional, often inadequate, refurbishments. In 1337, when over 100 yd. of wall had to be rebuilt, repairs were needed to the constable's hall and other buildings in the inner ward, and to the bridges leading to the two gatehouses. (fn. 92) By 1347 the Gonkes Tower, Chapel Tower, and Damory's Tower, the great chapel, the great chamber at the east end of the hall, the earl's smaller chamber and its chapel, and the great hall itself were all in disrepair. (fn. 93) Large sums were spent on the inner ward in the mid 1350s, (fn. 94) and further repairs were ordered by Richard II in the 1390s. (fn. 95) In Henry VI's reign expenditure on maintenance was generous, averaging £25 a year. (fn. 96) Work continued under the control of a master mason and master carpenter, of whom the latter at least had a house within the castle. Under the Yorkists, however, the office of master mason lapsed. (fn. 97)

Henry VII, who appointed a master mason in 1495, continued to spend c. £25 a year on maintenance, higher than average for such buildings but still inadequate. (fn. 98) In 1511 repairs costing over £272 were made to the great hall, the gatehouses, and the shire hall outside the gate. (fn. 99) The Half Moon Tower in the inner ward may also have been built then. (fn. 100) By the 1530s, however, the great hall was in ruins, and between 1577 and 1582 it was almost completely rebuilt at a cost of £650 to house the shire court. (fn. 101) At the same time the 'parliament chamber', immediately south of the great hall, was reconditioned to accommodate the exchequer court. (fn. 102) No other repairs were made, and by the early 17th century the whole castle, including the prison, was in very poor condition. (fn. 103) Despite the expenditure of 500 marks in 1613, a survey undertaken in 1624 for the county justices, on whom the cost of maintenance increasingly devolved, found much of the castle in a bad state. The shire hall was very ruinous, the bridge into the castle so dangerous as to be unusable, and the castle chapel 'much more ruinous than heretofore' other dilapidated buildings included the judges' and constable's lodgings, the protonotary's office, and the gatehouse prison. Although the royal earl's representatives felt that costs should be borne by the county authorities, they themselves reluctantly paid for repairs in 1627–8, including a new bridge. (fn. 104) The results were probably not entirely satisfactory: though earlier described as 'habitable', in 1636 the castle was condemned as 'old and ruinous'. (nota 105)

Although the castle suffered no damage during the Civil War siege, (fn. 106) after the Restoration the fabric was far out of repair. Early in 1661 much of the outer gatehouse fell down, and the county surveyor, John Shaw, estimated the cost of restoring it and other buildings as at least £860. (fn. 107) Shaw began repairs, but work was delayed by his failure to obtain adequate authorization. In 1662, after a further survey, the cost of repairs was put at £5,000. In the event, between 1660 and 1664 only just over £546 was spent on repairs to the grand jury's chamber, the constable's lodgings, and the protonotary's office. Shaw himself was paid only with reluctance in 1663. (fn. 108)

In 1666 fears of a rising of disaffected parliamentarians stimulated further action. The king ordered that the proceeds of the local mize, a county-wide tax, be paid to the governor, but seems to have overestimated the money available and work on the fabric proceeded very slowly. (fn. 109) In 1687 the castle received a new armoury in the west range of the inner ward, and an armourer's workshop, the Frobisher's Shop, behind the Half Moon Tower. (fn. 110) New fortifications, including a gun platform, were built in 1689, and further work was carried out on the armoury and barracks in 1691. (fn. 111) The county buildings, however, remained ruinous, the roof of the exchequer court and much of the protonotary's office having collapsed. They were repaired in 1685 and 1690, when £420 paid to the master masons Thomas and Peter Whitley proved to be the Crown's final expenditure upon them. (fn. 112)

The mint of 1696 was housed in the new extension to the Half Moon Tower. (fn. 113) Its installation involved the construction of mint ovens and chimneys and other alterations to the Frobisher's Shop, and after its closure in 1698 an estimate was ordered for the cost of restoring the shop to its former condition. (fn. 114) In 1699 the London mint paid £2,000 to the governor for the use of buildings within the castle. (nota 115)

In 1745, with the rebellion of the Young Pretender, the lord lieutenant, George, earl of Cholmondeley, was zealous in putting Chester in a state of defence. He repaired the castle's decayed fortifications and added raised batteries in the inner and outer wards and a platform with a parapet south-east of the great hall. The military architect Alexander de Lavaux was engaged to draw up a plan to strengthen the fortifications, but his scheme, which consisted of four bastions joined by outworks flanking the ancient defences, was never carried out. (nota 116)

Thereafter the castle was so neglected that in the 1760s a large portion of the curtain wall of the inner ward behind the armoury fell down. The breach was probably repaired in the 1770s, and further work was done in 1786, when Lord Cholmondeley's battery was reconstructed or refaced. Then or later the front of the curtain wall was cut back and the Flag Tower stripped of its external buttresses. (nota 117)

When in 1785 quarter sessions ordered the rebuilding of the county gaol, a competition was held and won by Thomas Harrison, whose plans also involved the demolition and replacement of many buildings in the outer bailey, including the exchequer, grand jury room, protonotary's office, and eventually the shire hall. (fn. 118) In 1788 an Act of Parliament was obtained authorizing the scheme and setting up commissioners drawn from local gentry, clergy, and J.P.s to supervise its execution. (fn. 119) Harrison's early designs comprised a single block with a recessed portico and wings housing the shire hall, a room to serve both as grand jury room and exchequer, and other offices (fn. 120) behind was the prison. (fn. 121) The main buildings, in the neo-classical style of which the architect was a master, were faced with Manley stone, while Runcorn stone and local red sandstone were used inside and in the foundations. (fn. 122) Harrison began in 1788 by demolishing the exchequer and the constable's house, and then moved on to build the prison and the southern parts of the main block. (fn. 123) As work proceeded he and the commissioners grew more ambitious. In 1789 a passage with a new gateway was opened into the upper ward, and the consent of the Board of Ordnance was obtained for the removal of the outer gatehouse, to be replaced by a new arch and guard rooms. (fn. 124) By 1791 the exchequer and grand jury room, the protonotary's office, and the prisoners' wards had all been finished, and the commissioners were anxious to proceed with the new shire hall. Harrison, however, submitted his plans only in 1792. (fn. 125) He continued to revise the scheme as late as 1793, some time after the demolition of the old shire hall the portico seems to have caused him especial trouble, and went through several phases before achieving the imposing final design, with its double row of giant Doric columns. (fn. 126) Further difficulties arose from the discovery in 1794 that William Bell, the superintendent of works since 1788, had wasted stone and embezzled funds and materials. Bell was dismissed, and Harrison, who seems to have been responsible for his exposure, replaced him as surveyor. (fn. 127) Examination of the work supervised by Bell revealed that the pillars in the prison chapel would not support the planned superstructure and there were additional delays while the foundations were relaid. (fn. 128) A new contractor, William Cole the elder, was appointed in 1797. By then the shire hall was substantially complete, except for the roof, finished in 1799: a 'magnificent hall of justice', it comprised a large semi-circular, semi-domed court room ringed with an Ionic colonnade. The main block seems to have been completed shortly after, for in 1800 the finishing touches were put to the portico and prison chapel. (fn. 129) In the form finally executed it had a facade of 19 bays, with a projecting portico of ashlar and rusticated wings on either side.

Chester castle: Harrison's completed scheme for outer ward

From 1795 the commissioners had been anxious to buy adjoining land to permit the enlargement of the castle yard and provide a suitable setting for the new buildings, and in 1803 they purchased all the buildings in Gloverstone. (fn. 130) Plans to enlarge the castle yard and build a new armoury, uniform with the main block, received the consent of the Board of Ordnance in 1804 the new building, which necessitated the demolition of the inner gatehouse, the Square Tower, and part of the curtain wall of the inner ward, was paid for partly by the Crown and partly by the county, which was responsible for the end walls and the front of nine bays with its attached Ionic half-columns. (fn. 131) A corresponding block, housing the barracks, military cells, and exchequer court, was begun in 1806 north of the outer ward, on the site of the old cells and barracks, after similar arrangements to share the cost had been agreed between the county and the Barrack Master General. (fn. 132) Such major departures from the original plan required a new Act of Parliament, obtained in 1807. (fn. 133)

In 1810, though the barrack block was probably still incomplete, the final phase of the rebuilding began. A ditch faced with a stone wall was constructed round the castle yard and a new entrance was planned. Harrison's original scheme for a Doric gateway was altered in 1811 and made more elaborate in 1813, when four columns were added to the west side of the entrance. The completed 'propylaeum' comprised two pedimented lodges with east-facing porticoes and a central entrance block with columns projecting to the west, (fn. 134) the first use of the primitive Doric order in England. (nota 135)

Harrison was perhaps also responsible for alterations to the inner bailey, including rebuilding the front wall of the armoury and refacing and refenestrating the old mint building and the Half Moon Tower. (fn. 136) His pupil, William Cole the younger, continued to work at the castle, and designed the military hospital, a plain brick building erected in 1826 in Castle Street. (fn. 137)

Further changes, begun in 1831, involved the demolition of the officers' barracks and judges' lodgings in the south-east range of the inner ward, to make way for a new armoury, and the conversion of the old armoury, Harrison's southern wing, into accommodation for officers and judges. The new works cost a little under £7,000, of which £1,000 was provided by the county. Among those who were then paid substantial sums was the Chester architect James Harrison, and it is possible therefore that he was responsible for the design of the new armoury, a plain rectangular freestanding building faced in local stone. (fn. 138) With the completion of the work in 1836 all that remained of the ancient castle was the Agricola Tower and the much altered Half Moon and Flag Towers.

County gaol from east (left centre)

There were important alterations to the south-west corner of Harrison's main block in the lower ward in the late 19th century. In 1875–7 a new nisi prius (civil) court was built, to designs by T. M. Lockwood, and in 1891 the protonotary's office was converted into a council chamber for the new county council. (fn. 139) The interior of the shire hall was rearranged c. 1881 and in 1895–6. (fn. 140) Harrison's barrack block was restored in 1922. (fn. 141)

After 1892 the site of the prison became a drill ground for the local Volunteer artillery. It was eventually occupied by a new county hall built between 1939 and 1957. (fn. 142) A new militia barracks for the permanent staff of the 1st Regiment of the Royal Cheshire Militia was built by the county authorities outside the castle precinct in Nuns' Gardens to designs by T. M. Penson in 1858–9. In an extravagant 13thcentury castellated style with many towers and turrets and a gateway with a portcullis, it was sold to the War Department in 1874 and after 1882 housed married non-commissioned officers of the regimental depot. The building was repurchased by the county council in 1963 and demolished in 1964. (fn. 143)

County gaol

The castle was used as a gaol by 1241, when Welsh hostages were confined there. (fn. 144) Under Edward I prisoners included local notables, (fn. 145) hostages taken from Prince Llywelyn in 1277, (fn. 146) and Llywelyn's brother Dafydd with five of his squires in 1283. (fn. 147) In 1294–5, when the gaol probably occupied the rebuilt outer gatehouse, it again received many Welsh hostages, (fn. 148) a few of whom were detained until c. 1300 and the last until the 1330s. (fn. 149) Besides the Welsh there were also six Scots, taken at Dunbar in 1296, and in 1301–2 still at the castle, which by then contained four prisons. (fn. 150) The castle was again briefly filled with hostages taken from the citizens at the time of Edward II's murder (fn. 151) and from the Welsh during Glyn Dwr's revolt. (nota de rodapé 152)

By the 16th century the county gaol was situated in the outer gatehouse and the adjoining former exchequer. (fn. 153) It became a detention centre for recusants in the 1580s and 1590s, its importance enhanced by its position on the Irish route. (fn. 154) In 1648 it was refurbished and restored to use after the discovery of a royalist plot to recover castle and city. (fn. 155) The castle was again full of prisoners after the royalist defeat at the battle of Worcester in 1651, and was later the scene of the trial of notables. (fn. 156) It still contained prisoners, including a number of Scotsmen, in 1653. (fn. 157) The numbers detained rose again after the repression of Booth's rebellion in 1659. (fn. 158)

By 1681 the prison was in great decay. Although the Crown met the heavy costs of renovation, thereafter its maintenance was left to the county authorities, who by the 1690s were raising levies for further repairs. (fn. 159) In 1715, after the government's victory at Preston, c. 500 Jacobite prisoners were brought to the castle. Because of a quarrel between the governor and Chester corporation they were held there until 1717 in crowded conditions, and disease spread from them to the soldiers. (fn. 160)

By the 1770s the prison in the north-east corner of the castle was clearly unsatisfactory cramped and airless, it was compared by the reformer John Howard to the Black Hole of Calcutta, (fn. 161) and in 1784 it was presented at the assizes as out of repair and insufficient. (fn. 162) In 1785 the Cheshire quarter sessions ordered its rebuilding. (fn. 163) Thomas Harrison's new prison, opened in 1793, was designed according to the enlightened principles advocated by Howard. Although planned before the publication of Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon, it was 'panoptic' in the sense that, as in Bentham's scheme, the gaoler's house overlooked the felons' yards. (nota 164)

The prison, which had been found inadequate by the visiting justices in 1865, was transferred from county control to the Crown in 1877 and closed to civil prisoners in 1884, though there continued to be a small military prison in the castle until 1893. The gaol buildings were purchased by the county council in 1894 and demolished in 1900–2, (fn. 165) the site being used later for a new county hall.


Chester Castle - History

Whitehead County Antrim Northern Ireland

Whitehead is a Victorian Railway Town built on the site of a former hamlet around Castle Chichester. Much of its history can be found in the book "Whitehead: The Town with no Streets" by P J O'Donnell.

Some other information can be found in several sources available in Whitehead Library or elsewhere. A few extracts, fully credited, are given here and more will be added.

Castle Chichester, a ruin, which lies on private land and which cannot be accessed, can still be seen in Chester Avenue, opposite the junction with the King's Road, Whitehead, or from Marine Parade. “ Its square form, the style of its construction, particularly in its secret stairs constructed in its walls, suggest the idea that its erection took place in the 12th or 13th century….. . Its name, however, would imply otherwise, as the Chichesters were not possessed of any property in this country until the conclusion of the 16th century …… .

There was, until about the middle of the 17th century, a considerable village or town at Castle Chichester. It possessed a harbour or quay, of which the remains are still to be seen. It had a considerable trade with Scotland, and was the station from whence the mails were dispatched to that country. The castle may probably have been for some time occupied by some of the Chichesters, or from some other cause or motive have received its present name on becoming their property.” Taken from “ Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Parishes of County Antrim III 1833, 1835, 1839 - 40 Larne and Island Magee Vol.10 Edited by Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams The Institute of Irish Studies The Queen's University of Belfast ”

“Upwards of 100 years ago a packet boat used to call at Castlechichester from Scotland to discharge its cargo and deliver letters. A small boat used to attend the Parish to convey the letters to Belfast from Castlechichester for which it received £100 per annum. At that time an agent resided at Castlechichester.” Taken from “ N.I Public Record Office Parish of Island Magee 1830 - 1840 Island Magee Parish Box 11 Antrim XI by James Boyle 1840 ”

Do you have reminiscences about Whitehead or old photographs you think others would like to see? You story and photographs could be included on these pages.


Assista o vídeo: Chester Castle (Outubro 2021).