Notícia

Natrona APA-214 - História

Natrona APA-214 - História

Natrona
(APA-214: dp. 6.873; 1. 455 ', b. 62'; dr. 28'1 ", s. 17 k., Cpl. 536; a. 15", 12 40 mm .; cl. Haskell; T. VC2-S AP5)

Natrona (APA-211), foi estabelecido como casco MC 562 sob o contrato da Comissão Marítima de 30 de junho de 1944 pela Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Califórnia, lançado em 27 de setembro de 1944; patrocinado pela Sra. Anna Louise Spigler, adquirido e comissionado pela Marinha em 8 de novembro de 1944, o capitão Eric E. Winquist no comando.

Após a retirada do sul da Califórnia, Natrona navegou para o Havaí, em 3 de janeiro de 1945, como uma unidade do Esquadrão de Transporte 17. Em Pearl Harbor, ela desembarcou fuzileiros navais, carregou homens e equipamentos do 806º Batalhão de Engenharia e continuou sua passagem para o oeste no dia 16. Em 1º de fevereiro, ela alcançou Saipan, desembarcou seus passageiros e carga e navegou para Ulithi. Lá ela enfrentou caças noturnos da marinha e navegou para Leyte a fim de se preparar para a operação "Iceberg", a invasão dos Ryukyus.

Em 21 de março, Natrona, com caças noturnos da marinha e homens e equipamento da 77ª Divisão de Infantaria a bordo, partiu de Dulag no TG 51.1. No início do dia 26, ela saiu de IKerama Retto e foi para a área "Jig". Com 0,339, ela baixou nove barcos de guia de ondas, então mudou-se para "Transport Area Fox", onde em 0705 ela teve sua primeira experiência com kamikazes japoneses. Depois desse ataque aéreo, ela se mudou para a "Área de Transporte Interna George" para começar a descarregar seu GargO de combustível e munição em pequenas embarcações. Em 1951, sho prosseguiu para a área de repouso noturno.

Até o dia 30, Natrona continuou a reposição à luz do dia de pequenas embarcações na área "George", com retiradas noturnas. No dia 1º de abril, Okinawa foi invadida e no dia 2 o ancoradouro Kerama Retto foi palco de uma batalha de 13 horas contra aviões, nadadores e barcos smerde. No dia 6, o ancoradouro foi submetido a seu ataque kamikaze mais severo, durante o qual Natrona fez sua primeira morte sem ajuda.

No dia 7, ela concluiu o descarregamento da carga da 77ª Divisão. No dia seguinte, ela cruzou para a área da praia de Hagushi em Okinawa para desembarcar os caças noturnos da Marinha e, em seguida, voltou para Kerama Retto para transportar o C.O., General Brumbo e funcionários da 77ª Divisão para o mesmo local.

Entre 14 de abril e 10 de julho, Natrona permaneceu fundeado em Kerama Retto, servindo como estação e navio receptor. Ela também atuou como Fleet Post Office, sede do ComDesRon 2 e ComRepDesPac, Fleet Replacement Center, coordenadora e distribuidora de Fog Oil e centro de subsistência para tripulações de navios avariados e afundados. Em 10 de julho, o transporte mudou para Buckner Bay e no dia 15 partiu para os EUA, um veterano de 16 semanas e 208 ataques aéreos em águas de Okinawa.

Natrona chegou a São Francisco em 5 de agosto. Comemorando o fim da guerra lá, ela começou novamente no dia 20 na primeira de duas viagens transpacifie estendidas transportando tropas de reabastecimento para áreas avançadas, tropas de ocupação para o Japão e veteranos de retorno aos Estados Unidos. Em 13 de janeiro de 1946, ela completou seu segundo cruzeiro em San Pedro. Movendo-se para a Ilha de Mare, ela passou por uma revisão de inativação e, em 29 de julho, foi desativada e entrou na Frota da Reserva do Pacífico em Stockton, Califórnia. Ela permaneceu em Stockton até ser retirada da Lista da Marinha e transferida para a Administração Marítima em 1º de outubro de 1958. Desde então, ela permaneceu atracada na Baía de Huisun como uma unidade da Frota de Reserva de Defesa Nacional MARAD.

Natrona recebeu uma estrela de batalha pelo serviço prestado na Segunda Guerra Mundial.


História de Harrison Township

Grande parte das terras no sudoeste da Pensilvânia eram "Terras de Depreciação", faixas de terras leiloadas e vendidas a militares no final dos anos 1700, numa época em que essa área era o deserto do oeste. Portanto, não é nenhuma surpresa que Harrison Township começou como uma comunidade agrícola pioneira no início de 1800

Harrison Township foi incorporado em 1900 e tinha vários bairros. Natrona estava lá primeiro, e conforme as pessoas começaram a se mover "para cima", eles começaram novos bairros como Ducktown, Birdville, Campton e Pughtown, que eventualmente se tornaram Natrona Heights.

The Burtner House, um Sítio Histórico Nacional, foi uma das primeiras casas construídas no que viria a se tornar Harrison Township. Phillip Burtner e seus dois irmãos, George e John, chegaram ao Vale Allegheny em 1793 como batedores na fronteira e começaram a construir a casa em 1818. Foi residência de gerações de membros da família Burtner e é um reflexo da história da comunidade. A propriedade já foi uma fazenda em funcionamento, e as pessoas paravam na casa para dar água aos cavalos antes de subir a colina do que hoje é a Burtner Road.

A casa agora é propriedade do Township e foi restaurada por membros da Burtner House Restoration Inc. sob um contrato de arrendamento com o Township. Eventos anuais são realizados na casa e passeios oferecidos pelo Grupo Restauração. A Casa Burtner está localizada na saída da via expressa para Natrona Heights, portanto, todos os visitantes da comunidade verão a Casa assim que entrarem no Município.

Allegheny Steel Company of Brackenridge (agora ATI Flat Rolled Products, parte da Allegheny Technologies) iniciou suas operações no início de 1900 como parte do surgimento de Pittsburgh como a capital mundial do aço. Com o passar dos anos, ela se tornou líder na produção de aços inoxidáveis ​​e especiais, é uma das poucas siderúrgicas em operação na área de Pittsburgh, ainda está crescendo e é o maior empregador do município.

Harrison Township Historical Album (PDF) & # 8211 observe que, devido ao grande tamanho do arquivo, o PDF pode demorar alguns minutos para carregar completamente.

* esta publicação foi do Harrison Township Bicentennial Committee, 1976


História do Condado de Natrona

As planícies do Wyoming são o lar histórico de muitas tribos nômades, incluindo Cheyenne, Arapaho, Shoshone e Sioux. Hoje, cerca de 6.000 Shoshone e Arapaho continuam a residir na Reserva de Wind River de 2,3 milhões de acres, a noroeste do Condado de Natrona.

Em 1812, John Jacob Astor estabeleceu Astoria na foz do Columbia e enviou Robert Stuart para o leste para iniciar o que se esperava que se tornasse uma rede de feitorias. Stuart encontrou South Pass seguindo uma trilha de índios Crow e entrou em nossa região. Perto de Bessemer Bend, Stuart e seu pequeno bando ergueram a primeira cabana de homem branco em 1812. Embora os planos de Astor tenham falhado quando os britânicos capturaram Astoria em 1812, caçadores e batedores continuaram a explorar nossas planícies altas e desenvolver rotas de trânsito. Em 4 de julho de 1824, alguns desses caçadores se chamaram Independence Rock.

Em 1840, o padre Jean Pierre DeSmet começou a espalhar o evangelho entre os índios da região. O padre DeSmet foi o primeiro a gravar seu nome na Pedra da Independência e dar-lhe o nome de "O Registro do Deserto". Em 1843, John C. Fremont (conhecido como “The Pathfinder”) gravou seu nome no Independence Rock e, mais tarde, com Kit Carson como seu guia, passou a explorar o país ao longo dos rios Platte e Sweetwater.


Natrona APA-214 - História

O USS Natrona foi um dos 117 transportes de ataque da classe Haskell construídos com um projeto de navio Victory modificado. Construída em Richmond, Califórnia, ela foi comissionada em novembro de 1944. Após o treinamento de shakedown na Costa Oeste, ela navegou para Ulithi, parando em Pearl Harbor e Saipan para carregar e entregar tropas e carga. Chegando a Ulithi em fevereiro de 1945, ela embarcou em fuzileiros navais noturnos e mudou-se para Leyte para carregar tropas adicionais e se preparar para o ataque a Okinawa. No final de março, Natrona participou dos pousos iniciais em Kerama Retto, cujo ancoradouro foi usado para apoiar os pousos em Okinawa. Uma semana após o ataque a Okinawa, ela deixou seus caças noturnos da Marinha em terra e então voltou para Kerama Retto, onde serviu como estação e navio de recebimento em julho. Tendo sofrido 208 ataques aéreos perto de Okinawa, ela retornou a São Francisco em agosto.

Após a rendição japonesa, Natrona realizou duas viagens de ida e volta transpacífico, transportando tropas de reposição para áreas avançadas, tropas de ocupação para o Japão e devolvendo veteranos da Guerra do Pacífico aos Estados Unidos como parte da Operação & quotMagic Carpet. & Quot. Ela completou a segunda das essas viagens em San Pedro, Califórnia, em meados de janeiro de 1946 e, em seguida, mudou-se para a Ilha de Mare para inativação. Ela foi desativada e colocada na reserva em julho de 1946. Retida na lista da Marinha pela próxima década como um ativo de mobilização, Natrona foi transferida para a Administração Marítima em agosto de 1958 para posterior retenção e retirada da lista da Marinha em outubro. A Administração Marítima a vendeu para demolição em março de 1975.

Esta página apresenta nossa única visão do USS Natrona (APA-214).

Se desejar reproduções de resolução mais alta do que a imagem digital apresentada aqui, consulte: & quotComo obter reproduções fotográficas. & Quot

Clique na pequena fotografia para obter uma visão ampliada da mesma imagem.

Na Baía de São Francisco, Califórnia, no final de 1945 ou início de 1946.
A caixa da arma perdida na proa indica que esta foto foi tirada depois que todo o seu armamento, exceto duas armas de 20 mm, foi removido, uma ação tomada antes do final de janeiro de 1946.

Doação de imediato do contramestre Robert G. Tippins, USN (aposentado), 2003.


Dicionário de navios de combate da Marinha Americana

Terror (CM-5) foi estabelecido em 3 de setembro de 1940 pelo Philadelphia Navy Yard lançado em 6 de junho de 1941 patrocinado pela Sra. Ralph A. Bard e comissionado em 15 de julho de 1942, Comdr. Howard Wesley Fitch no comando.

Após a montagem e o shakedown, Terror- o único minelayer da Marinha construído especificamente para minelaying - chegou a Nova York em 30 de outubro de 1942 para se preparar para sua primeira operação em grande escala. Com o Grupo de Tarefa 38.3, a nova camada de minério fez uma surtida no porto em 2 de novembro e definiu seu curso para o Norte da África. A chuva sopra com ventos fortes e o mar agitado forçou o comboio a alterar seu curso, mas seu objetivo permaneceu o mesmo - o apoio e reforço da Operação "Tocha".

Na madrugada de 14 de novembro, Terror separou-se do comboio e, escoltado por um único contratorpedeiro, fez seu caminho a 20 nós até o porto recém-conquistado de Casablanca. Navios naufragados adicionados ao congestionamento do porto como Terror abastecido Miantonomah (CM-10) e abasteceu esse navio com minas. Terror em seguida, preparou-se para sua missão principal em Casablanca e para a tarefa para a qual havia sido projetada, o minelaying. Sua surtida foi atrasada na manhã do dia 16 devido ao congestionamento contínuo no porto. Mais tarde, como Do terror Quando a tripulação preparada para partir, eles descobriram que uma grande âncora "antiquada" com uma corrente pesada estava sujando a corrente da âncora de estibordo do navio. Depois de corrigir este problema, Terror começou a trabalhar na companhia de dois varredores de minas e, em pouco tempo, começou a colocar o campo minado que protegeria os navios no porto. Quando concluído, pouco antes de escurecer no mesmo dia, o campo minado forneceu aos navios aliados uma entrada de canal protegida para Casablanca, estendendo-se por 11 quilômetros de El Hank Light, uma barreira formidável para qualquer submarino inimigo saqueador penetrar. No vapor a 16 nós, Terror voltou para o porto assim que a noite caiu.

No dia seguinte, apesar dos obstáculos impostos pelas rudimentares instalações de recebimento em terra e pela extrema escassez de isqueiros, Terror descarregou sua carga de cargas de profundidade e munições, usando um isqueiro tanque recuperado e várias barcaças de madeira. Tendo cumprido sua missão, Terror partiu de Casablanca e se encontrou com um comboio com destino à costa leste dos Estados Unidos. Fortes ventos de proa, mar agitado e a lentidão do comboio dificultaram para Terror para manter sua posição. Fora do Cabo Virgínia, Terror foi destacado do comboio e feito para o Naval Mine Depot, Yorktown. Ela chegou em 30 de novembro para iniciar a revisão e o treinamento.

Nos meses que se seguiram, Terror operava fora de Yorktown, fazendo viagens frequentes à Baía de Chesapeake para exercícios e, ocasionalmente, parando em Norfolk para reparos ou revisão. Freqüentemente, alunos do Centro de Treinamento de Guerra contra Minas vinham a bordo para passeios de instrução. Enquanto isso, membros de Terror's a tripulação, quando não assistia às aulas em terra, participava de exercícios, treinamento e exercícios de artilharia, guerra de minas e controle de danos. Em fevereiro, o minelayer ajudou Nuthatch (AM-60) enquanto aquele navio testava o "ouriço" Mark 10 ao largo de Yorktown. Depois de receber armas antiaéreas adicionais em maio, Terror participou de exercícios táticos na Baía de Chesapeake durante o verão.

No final de setembro, ela começou a carregar minas em preparação para sua partida da costa do Atlântico. Em Norfolk, ela se encontrou com a Task Unit 29.2.6 e, em 2 de outubro, ela partiu para a Zona do Canal e os portos do Pacífico. Na manhã de 19 de outubro, ela passou sob a ponte Golden Gate e ancorou na baía de São Francisco. No dia seguinte, ela partiu da costa oeste e navegou via Pearl Harbor para as ilhas Ellice.

Ela chegou a Funafuti em 9 de novembro, descarregou barcaças de pontão e pegou água potável. Durante as quase três semanas ela permaneceu em Funafuti, Terror apoiou as muitas pequenas embarcações que inspecionaram e minaram os acessos ao atol, fornecendo-lhes provisões, água, consertos e serviços médicos. Ao mesmo tempo, ela ajudou na conversão de um isqueiro coberto de 1.500 toneladas em um quartel para um batalhão de construção, enviando pessoal qualificado para agilizar o trabalho e fornecendo água e refeitório para o batalhão até que a tarefa fosse concluída. No dia 17, Do terror artilheiros atiraram no inimigo pela primeira vez quando aviões japoneses bombardearam a pista de Funafuti. Os invasores japoneses lançaram 40 bombas perto da pista de pouso, causando um incêndio que durou uma hora. Outro alerta se seguiu à tarde, mas nenhuma ação adicional ocorreu. Terror colocou bóias de amarração no ancoradouro antes de partir para o Havaí em 28 de novembro.

No início de dezembro, ela carregou minas e equipamentos em Pearl Harbor e, em seguida, partiu para Tarawa, onde forneceu equipamentos pesados ​​e minas para os detalhes das minas. À noite, holofotes da costa varriam a escuridão, avistando aviões inimigos em uma tentativa de frustrar os persistentes invasores japoneses.

No dia de Natal, Terror Começou. Ela entregou minas e equipamento pesado para unidades em Espiritu Santo e Guadalcanal antes de chegar à Ilha Makin em 18 de janeiro de 1944. O caçador de minas ancorou na lagoa enquanto seus barcos inspecionavam as passagens no recife. Ela então preparou uma barcaça automotora para explorar os canais. Ela partiu de Makin no dia 28 e seguiu independentemente para Tarawa, onde embarcou no Mine Detail 19. No último dia de janeiro, ela embarcou para Pearl Harbor e levou passageiros para o transporte até San Francisco. Depois de uma estadia de três dias, ela partiu da costa oeste em 21 de fevereiro com mais de 500 passageiros a bordo, acomodados em um convés de madeira temporário construído sobre os trilhos do convés da mina. Ela descarregou seus passageiros em Pearl Harbor no dia 26 e seguiu para Majuro, onde chegou em 10 de março.

Durante o resto de março e até abril, ela conduziu operações de minelaying nos Marshalls antes de partir para as Ilhas Havaianas em 22 de abril. Lá, ela passou por reparos, carregou minas e participou de exercícios de artilharia antes de partir em 24 de maio. Nos meses seguintes, ela carregou munições, minas e bombas para os Marshalls e Marianas, voltando uma vez a Pearl Harbor para carregar munições. Em 17 de agosto, ela partiu de Oahu - desta vez rumo à costa oeste. Terror chegou a São Francisco no dia 24 para docagem seca e revisão. Em 9 de setembro, ela começou a transportar uma carga de munições. Depois de carregar minas e equipamentos de remoção de minas em Pearl Harbor, ela seguiu para Ulithi, onde começou as operações de mineração defensivas.

Em 16 de outubro, Terror foi transferido do ServRon 6 para o Minecraft Pacific Fleet. Durante outubro e novembro, ela carregou cargas para as Marianas, Carolinas e Almirantados. Em 25 de novembro, ela entrou no Navy Yard em Pearl Harbor para reparos e alterações para acomodar a equipe do Comandante da Frota do Pacífico do Minecraft. Em 6 de janeiro de 1945, Terror assumiu o cargo de nau capitânia do contra-almirante Alexander Sharp.

Por duas semanas, Terror conduziu exercícios fora de Pearl Harbor. Então, em 22 de janeiro, ela se pôs em marcha e prosseguiu via Eniwetok para as Carolinas. Em Ulithi, Terror forneceu minas e equipamento para minecraft se preparando para a invasão de Iwo Jima. Ela então se dirigiu a Tinian para atuar como encarregada do minecraft naquela segunda área de preparação. No dia 13 de fevereiro, ela partiu das Marianas rumo às Ilhas dos Vulcões.

Às 0717 do dia 17 de fevereiro, Terror chegou na área de suporte de fogo na costa leste de Iwo Jima. O bombardeio pré-ataque e a remoção de minas estavam bem encaminhados quando os disparos de armas na costa ladeada por penhascos começaram a interferir com os caça-minas operando perto da costa, ao norte das praias do leste. Terror fechou a costa a 10.000 jardas e, por 20 minutos, adicionou seu tiroteio de cinco polegadas ao bombardeio em uma tentativa de ajudar a pequena embarcação. No entanto, a formidável barragem lançada pelo inimigo começou a cobrar seu preço como primeiro Pensacola (CA-24) e então Leutze (DD-481) sofreu golpes. Pouco depois do meio-dia, embarcações de desembarque danificadas começaram a chegar ao lado do concurso para obter assistência. Terror atuou como um navio de evacuação de vítimas para caça-minas e pequenas embarcações em apoio às equipes de demolição subaquática. Logo suas instalações médicas foram severamente tributadas. Um após o outro, essas pequenas embarcações chegaram para transferir seus feridos e receber assistência para consertar suas embarcações. Terror continuou suas funções fora de Iwo Jima até 1835 em 19 de fevereiro, quando ela se dirigiu para as Marianas.

Em 21 de fevereiro, ela transferiu as vítimas de batalha para um hospital do Exército em Saipan, em seguida, viajou para Ulithi, onde chegou no dia 23. Nessa base, ela prestou serviços e forneceu minecraft como palco para o ataque a Okinawa. Ela chegou ao largo de Kerama Retto em 24 de março para atuar como carro-chefe e concurso para minecraft. Terror operou no Kerama Retto até a manhã do dia 29, quando ancorou no porto daquela ilha. Lá, apesar do perigo constante de ataques kamikaze, ela desempenhou seu duplo papel de terna e carro-chefe. Todo o seu complemento trabalhou longas horas para manter o suprimento de água, óleo, equipamento e munição exigidos pelo minecraft na área. Ao mesmo tempo, seus recursos foram ainda mais afetados pelos deveres impostos por sua condição de nau capitânia.

Na manhã de 2 de abril de 1945, aviões japoneses penetraram no porto. Terror levou dois dos atacantes sob fogo e testemunhou o respingo de um avião a apenas 600 metros de distância. Nos dias seguintes, Terror- respondendo a avisos de preparação para ataques de aviões japoneses, nadadores e barcos suicidas - sentinelas noturnas especiais estacionadas no convés e em um piquete para interceptar qualquer invasor engenhoso. Ataques aéreos em massa previstos se materializaram em 6 de abril, quando as crinas japonesas atacaram o porto de Kerama Retto por quatro horas, chegando em Terror de todos os quadrantes e mantendo seus artilheiros ocupados. O concurso se juntou a outros navios no abate de dois aviões japoneses e forneceu barcos de resgate, roupas e tratamento para os sobreviventes de LST-447 e SS Vitória de Logan.

Ao longo de abril, Terror permaneceu em Kerama Retto prestando serviços de logística e recebendo vítimas de navios atingidos por kamikazes. As patrulhas aéreas de combate mantiveram os invasores fora do porto na maior parte do tempo, mas, em 28 de abril, Pinckney (APH-2) - ancorado nas proximidades - foi atingido por um avião suicida. Terror disparou contra a aeronave inimiga, enviou barcos para Pinckney's ajuda, e tratou muitas vítimas. Durante o longo e árduo mês de abril, Do terror a tripulação foi ao alojamento geral 93 vezes, por períodos que variam de sete minutos a seis horas e meia.

Minutos antes das 04:00 em 1 de maio de 1945, como Terror ancorou em Kerama Retto, uma pomba kamikaze em direção ao navio. Arremessando-se por um buraco na cortina de fumaça e entrando Terror's Na viga de bombordo, o atacante fez uma curva acentuada ao redor da popa, depois veio do quadrante a estibordo com tanta rapidez que apenas um dos canhões de popa do minelayer abriu fogo. Quando o avião se chocou contra a plataforma de comunicação da nave, uma de suas bombas explodiu. O outro penetrou no convés principal antes que ele também explodisse. O motor da aeronave passou pelas anteparas do navio e pousou na sala dos oficiais. O fogo explodiu imediatamente na superestrutura, mas logo foi controlado e, em duas horas, foi extinto. A inundação dos depósitos evitou possíveis explosões e nenhum dano de engenharia ocorreu, mas o kamikaze cobrou seu preço. O custo do ataque Terror 171 vítimas: 41 mortos, 7 desaparecidos e 123 feridos.

No dia seguinte, o navio danificado foi atracado a Natrona (APA-214) para reparos de emergência. Ela partiu no dia 8 para se encontrar com um comboio com destino a Saipan. Uma vez que uma pesquisa do navio revelou que o dano foi grande demais para ser reparado em uma área avançada, Terror navegou via Eniwetok e Pearl Harbor para a costa oeste. Ela chegou a São Francisco em 1º de junho de 1945, descarregou a munição e começou sua revisão.

Concluídos os reparos, ela partiu da Baía de São Francisco em 15 de agosto e partiu para a Coréia via Ilhas Havaianas, Saipan e Okinawa. Atracado em Buckner Bay em 16 de setembro, ela resistiu a um furioso tufão. Batendo contra Patoka (AO-9) faça alguns furos Do terror lado, mas ela logo foi reparada. Em 9 de outubro, enquanto ainda estava em Okinawa, ela saiu ilesa de outro tufão que encalhou ou naufragou mais de 100 embarcações em Buckner Bay e Unten Ko.

Em dezembro, Panamint (AGC-13) substituído Terror como carro-chefe da Frota do Pacífico do Minecraft, e o veterano de muitas campanhas do Pacífico novamente cruzou o Pacífico para chegar a São Francisco em fevereiro. Ela fez uma viagem a Pearl Harbor em março, depois voltou para a costa oeste. Terror permaneceu lá até fevereiro de 1947, quando partiu de São Francisco e navegou pelo Canal do Panamá para embarcar o Comandante da Frota Atlântica do Minecraft em San Juan no final de fevereiro. Após exercícios no Caribe, ela operou nos portos da costa leste até julho de 1947, quando chegou ao Charleston Navy Yard para inativação. Durante a Guerra da Coréia, ela foi colocada em serviço na reserva e em 7 de fevereiro de 1955, ela foi redesignada como um minelayer da frota (MM-5). Seu símbolo de designação foi alterado para MMF-5 em outubro de 1955, e ela foi desativada em 6 de agosto de 1956. Em 1971, seu hulk foi vendido para a Union Minerals and Alloys Corporation, da cidade de Nova York.

Terror recebeu quatro estrelas de batalha pelo serviço prestado na Segunda Guerra Mundial. Transcrito e formatado para HTML por Patrick Clancey, HyperWar Foundation


Natrona APA-214 - História

(CM-5: dp. 5.875 1. 454'10 "b. 60'2" dr. 19'7 ", s. 20,3 k. Cpl. 481 a. 4 5", 16 1,1 ", 14 20 mm. Cl. Terror)

Terror (CM-5) foi lançado em 3 de setembro de 1940 pelo Philadelphia Navy Yard, lançado em 6 de junho de 1941 patrocinado pela Sra. Ralph A. Bard e comissionado em 15 de julho de 1942, Comdr. Howard Wesley Fitch no comando.

Após o preparo e o shakedown, Terror - a única camada de minas da Marinha construída especificamente para minelaying - chegou a Nova York em 30 de outubro de 1942 para se preparar para sua primeira operação em grande escala. Com o Grupo de Tarefa 38.3, a nova camada de minério fez uma surtida no porto em 2 de novembro e definiu seu curso para o Norte da África. A chuva sopra com ventos fortes e o mar agitado forçou o comboio a alterar seu curso, mas seu objetivo permaneceu o mesmo - o apoio e o reforço da Operação "Tocha".

Na madrugada de 14 de novembro, Terror separou-se do comboio e, escoltado por um único contratorpedeiro, fez seu caminho a 20 nós até o porto recém-conquistado de Casablanca. Os navios afundados aumentaram o congestionamento do porto enquanto o Terror abastecia Miantonomah (CM-10) e abastecia aquele navio com minas. Terror então se preparou para sua missão principal em Casablanca e para a tarefa para a qual havia sido projetada, o minelaying. Sua surtida foi atrasada na manhã do dia 16 devido ao congestionamento contínuo no porto. Mais tarde, quando a tripulação do Terror se preparou para partir, eles descobriram que uma grande âncora "antiquada" com uma corrente pesada estava sujando a corrente da âncora de estibordo do navio. Depois de corrigir esse problema, o Terror começou em companhia de dois caça-minas e, em pouco tempo, começou a colocar o campo minado que protegeria os navios no porto. Quando concluído, pouco antes de escurecer no mesmo dia, o campo minado forneceu aos navios aliados uma entrada de canal protegida para Casablanca, estendendo-se por 11 quilômetros de El Hank Light, uma barreira formidável para qualquer submarino inimigo saqueador penetrar. Fumando a 16 nós, Terror voltou para o porto assim que a noite caiu.

No dia seguinte, apesar dos obstáculos impostos pelas rudimentares instalações de recebimento em terra e uma extrema escassez de cargueiros, Terror descarregou sua carga de cargas de profundidade e munições, utilizando um isqueiro tanque recuperado e várias barcaças de madeira. Tendo cumprido sua missão, Terror partiu de Casablanca e se encontrou com um comboio com destino à costa leste dos Estados Unidos. Fortes ventos de proa, mar agitado e a lentidão do comboio tornavam difícil para o Terror manter sua posição. Ao largo de Virginia Capes, o Terror foi separado do comboio e dirigido para o Naval Mine Depot, Yorktown. Ela chegou em 30 de novembro para iniciar a revisão e o treinamento.

Nos meses que se seguiram, o Terror operou fora de Yorktown, fazendo viagens frequentes à Baía de Chesapeake para exercícios e, ocasionalmente, parando em Norfolk para reparos ou revisão. Freqüentemente, alunos da mina

O Centro de Treinamento de Guerra veio a bordo para viagens de instrução. Enquanto isso, os membros da tripulação do Terror, quando não frequentavam as aulas em terra, participavam de exercícios, treinamento e exercícios de artilharia, guerra de minas e controle de danos. Em fevereiro, o minelayer ajudou o Nuthatch (AM-60) enquanto o navio testava o Mark 10 "ouriço" ao largo de Yorktown. Depois de receber armas antiaéreas adicionais em maio, Terror participou de exercícios táticos na Baía de Chesapeake durante o verão.

No final de setembro, ela começou a carregar minas em preparação para sua partida da costa do Atlântico. Em Norfolk, ela se encontrou com a Task Unit 29.2.6 e, em 2 de outubro, ela partiu para a Zona do Canal e os portos do Pacífico. Na manhã de 19 de outubro, ela passou sob a ponte Golden Gate e ancorou na baía de São Francisco. No dia seguinte, ela partiu da costa oeste e navegou via Pearl Harbor para as ilhas Ellice.

Ela chegou a Funafuti em 9 de novembro, descarregou barcaças de pontão e pegou água potável. Durante as quase três semanas que ela permaneceu em Funafuti, o Terror apoiou as muitas pequenas embarcações que inspecionaram e minaram os acessos ao atol, fornecendo-lhes provisões, água, reparos e serviços médicos. Ao mesmo tempo, ela ajudou na conversão de um isqueiro coberto de 1.500 toneladas em um quartel para um batalhão de construção, enviando pessoal qualificado para agilizar o trabalho e fornecendo água e refeitório para o batalhão até que a tarefa fosse concluída. No dia 17, os artilheiros do Terror atiraram no inimigo pela primeira vez quando aviões japoneses bombardearam a pista de Funafuti. Os invasores japoneses lançaram 40 bombas perto da pista de pouso, causando um incêndio que durou uma hora. Outro alerta seguiu à tarde, mas nenhuma ação adicional ocorreu. O terror colocou bóias de amarração no ancoradouro antes de partir para o Havaí em 28 de novembro.

No início de dezembro, ela carregou minas e equipamentos em Pearl Harbor e, em seguida, partiu para Tarawa, onde forneceu equipamentos pesados ​​e minas para os detalhes das minas. À noite, holofotes da costa varriam a escuridão, avistando aviões inimigos em uma tentativa de frustrar os persistentes invasores japoneses.

No dia de Natal, o Terror começou. Ela entregou minas e equipamentos pesados ​​para unidades em Espiritu Santo e Guadalcanal antes de chegar à Ilha Makin em 18 de janeiro de 1944. O caçador de minas ancorou na lagoa enquanto seus barcos inspecionavam as passagens no recife. Ela então preparou uma barcaça automotora para explorar os canais. Ela partiu de Makin no dia 28 e seguiu independentemente para Tarawa, onde embarcou no Mine Detail 19. No último dia de janeiro, ela embarcou para Pearl Harbor e levou passageiros para o transporte até San Francisco. Depois de uma estadia de três dias, ela partiu da costa oeste em 21 de fevereiro com mais de 500 passageiros a bordo, acomodados em um convés de madeira temporário construído sobre os trilhos do convés da mina. Ela descarregou seus passageiros em Pearl Harbor no dia 26 e seguiu para Majuro, onde chegou em 10 de março.

Durante o resto de março e até abril, ela conduziu operações de minelaying nos Marshalls antes de partir para as Ilhas Havaianas em 22 de abril. Lá, ela passou por reparos, carregou minas e participou de exercícios de artilharia antes de partir em 24 de maio. Nos meses seguintes, ela carregou munições, minas e bombas para os Marshalls e Marianas, voltando uma vez a Pearl Harbor para carregar munições. Em 17 de agosto, ela partiu de Oahu - desta vez rumo à costa oeste. O terror chegou a São Francisco no dia 24 para docagem seca e revisão. Em 9 de setembro, ela começou a transportar uma carga de munições. Depois de carregar minas e equipamentos de varredura de minas em Pearl Harbor, ela seguiu para Ulithi, onde começou as operações de mineração defensivas.

Em 16 de outubro, o Terror foi transferido do ServRon 6 para a Frota do Pacífico do Minecraft. Durante outubro e novembro, ela transportou cargas para as Marianas, Carolinas e Almirantados. Em 25 de novembro, ela entrou no Navy Yard em Pearl Harbor para reparos e alterações para acomodar a equipe do Comandante da Frota do Pacífico do Minecraft. Em 6 de janeiro de 1945, o Terror assumiu o cargo de nau capitânia do contra-almirante Alexander Sharp.

Por duas semanas, Terror conduziu exercícios fora de Pearl Harbor. Então, em 22 de janeiro, ela se pôs em marcha e prosseguiu via Eniwetok para as Carolinas. Em Ulithi, o Terror forneceu minas e equipamentos para minecraft se preparando para a invasão de Iwo Jima. Ela então se dirigiu a Tinian para atuar como encarregada do minecraft naquela segunda área de preparação. No dia 13 de fevereiro, ela partiu das Marianas rumo às Ilhas dos Vulcões.

Às 07h17 de 17 de fevereiro, o Terror chegou à área de apoio de fogo na costa leste de Iwo Jima. O bombardeio pré-ataque e a remoção de minas estavam bem encaminhados quando os disparos de armas na costa ladeada por penhascos começaram a interferir com os caça-minas operando perto da costa, ao norte das praias do leste. O terror fechou a costa a 10.000 jardas e, por 20 minutos, acrescentou seus tiros de cinco polegadas ao bombardeio em uma tentativa de ajudar a pequena embarcação. No entanto, a formidável barragem lançada pelo inimigo começou a cobrar seu preço quando primeiro Pensacola (CA-24) e depois Leutze (DD-481) foram atingidos. Pouco depois do meio-dia, embarcações de desembarque danificadas começaram a chegar ao lado do concurso para obter assistência. O Terror atuou como um navio de evacuação de vítimas para caça-minas e pequenas embarcações em apoio às equipes de demolição subaquática. Logo suas instalações médicas foram severamente tributadas. Um após o outro, essas pequenas embarcações foram se aproximando para transferir seus feridos e receber assistência para consertar suas embarcações. O terror continuou seus deveres fora de Iwo Jima até 1835 em 19 de fevereiro, quando ela se dirigiu para as Marianas.

Em 21 de fevereiro, ela transferiu as vítimas de batalha para um hospital do Exército em Saipan, em seguida, viajou para Ulithi, onde chegou no dia 23. At that base, she serviced and supplied minecraft staging for the assault on Okinawa. She arrived off Kerama Retto on 24 March to act as flagship and tender for minecraft. Terror operated off Kerama Retto until the morning of the 29th when she anchored in that island's harbor. There, despite the constant danger of kamikaze attacks, she performed her dual role as tender and flagship. Her entire complement labored long hours to maintain the supply of water, oil, gear, and ammunition required by minecraft in the area. At the same time, her resources were further strained by the duties imposed by her status as flagship.

On the morning of 2 April 1945, Japanese planes penetrated the harbor. Terror took two of the attackers under fire and witnessed the splashing of one plane only 600 yards away. In the following days, Terror— responding to warnings to be prepared for attacks by Japanese planes, swimmers, and suicide boats-stationed special night sentries on deck and in a picket boat to intercept any ingenious attackers. Predicted mass air attacks materialized on 6 April when Japanese manes pounded the harbor at Kerama Retto for four hours, coming in on Terror from all quarters and keeping her gunners busy. The tender joined other ships in downing two Japanese planes and furnished rescue boats, clothing, and treatment for the survivors of LST-447 and SS Logan Victory.

Throughout April, Terror remained at Kerama Retto providing logistic services and receiving casualties from ships hit by kamikazes. Combat air patrols kept raiders outside the harbor most of the time but, on 28 April, Pinckne

g ( APH-2)—anchored nearby-was hit by a suicide plane. Terror fired on the enemy aircraft, sent boats to Pinckney's aid, and treated many casualties. During the long and arduous month of April, Terror's crew went to general quarters 93 times, for periods ranging from seven minutes to six and one-half hours.

Minutes before 0400 on 1 May 1945, as Terror lay at anchor in Kerama Retto, a kamikaze dove toward the ship. Darting through a hole in the smoke screen and coming in on Terror's port beam, the attacker banked sharply around the stern, then came in from the starboard quarter so rapidly that only one of the minelayer's stern guns opened fire. As the plane crashed into the ship's communication platform, one of its bombs exploded. The other penetrated the main deck before it, too, exploded. The aircraft's engine tore through the ship's bulkheads to land in the wardroom. Fire flared immediately in the superstructure but was soon controlled and, within two hours, was extinguished. Flooding of the magazines prevented possible explosions, and no engineering damage occurred, but the kamikaze had exacted its toll. The attack cost Terror 171 casualties: 41 dead, 7 missing, and 123 wounded.

The following day, the battered ship was moored to Natrona (APA-214) for emergency repairs. She got underway on the 8th to rendezvous with a convoy bound for Saipan. Since a survey of the vessel revealed that her damage was too great to be repaired in a forward area, Terror steamed via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor to the west coast. She reached San Francisco on 1 June 1945, unloaded ammunition, and then began her overhaul.

Her repairs completed, she departed San Francisco Bay on 15 August and steamed for Korea via the Hawaiian Islands, Saipan, and Okinawa. Moored in Buckner Bay on 16 September, she weathered a furious typhoon. Pounding against Patoka (AO-9) put a few holes in Terror's side, but she was soon repaired. On 9 October, while still at Okinawa, she emerged undamaged from another typhoon which beached or wrecked over 100 vessels at Buckner Bay and Unten Ko.

In December, Panamint (AGC-13) replaced Terror as flagship for Minecraft Pacific Fleet, and the veteran of many Pacific campaigns again crossed the Pacific to arrive at San Francisco in February. She made one voyage to Pearl Harbor in March, then returned to the west coast. Terror remained there until February 1947 when she departed San Francisco and steamed through the Panama Canal to embark the Commander, Minecraft Atlantic Fleet at San Juan late in February. Following exercises in the Caribbean, she operated out of east coast ports until July 1947 when she arrived at the Charleston Navy Yard for inactivation. During the Korean War, she was placed in service in reserve and on 7 February 1955, she was redesignated a fleet minelayer (MM-5). Her designation symbol was changed to MMF-5 in October 1955, and she was decommissioned on 6 August 1956. In 1971, her hulk was sold to the Union Minerals and Alloys Corporation, of New York City.


Natrona APA-214 - History

When a relative stumbled across a treasure trove of old postcards from a slew of towns in the Alle-Kiski Valley, Charles "Skip" Culleiton of Lower Burrell was intrigued. A popular form of communication until about the 1930s, the postcards speak a great deal about past places and people: Culleiton has several different postcards featuring just the old YMCA building in Tarentum, now Gatto Cycle Shop along East Seventh Avenue in Tarentum. He has collected 250 historical postcards from Tarentum alone. "I thought they were really nice pictures and after that, I just started to collect them," says the 71-year-old Culleiton.

Word got around that Culleiton, a retired research chemist for Alcoa, had amassed quite a collection and, subsequently, a lot of local history. He was tapped to contribute to a book commemorating the 150th anniversary of Tarentum, which he ended up writing in 1992. And he's been writing about local history ever since. In the past decade, he lent a hand with Brackenridge's 100th anniversary book as well as Lower Burrell's 50th anniversary history, and penned "Greetings from the A-K Valley" published by Creighton Printing in 2003, among others.

Culleiton's latest offering, "Historical Natrona," is a massive collection, by local history standards at 256 pages, covering the town's fabled and prosperous history. Culleiton spent more than two years researching the history of Natrona, interviewing locals and combing through old newspapers. Culleiton shines the light on the high times of the town, in the first half of the 20th century when the Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Co. offered not just jobs, but a way of life. The book explores the town's many industries -- salt, oil, coal and steel, even the town's lesser-known role as a stopover for workers who floated rafts of timber down the Allegheny River from Tionesta and Warren to Pittsburgh.

Culleiton explores the roots of the steel giant Allegheny Technologies before it was Allegheny Ludlum, when it was just Allegheny Steel. But residents know the historical star of the town, the Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Co., established in 1850. With two salt wells and a few company houses for workers, the company prospered with more workers, more company-owned homes, really company-owned everything: In 1913, there were 113 retail businesses in Natrona, and Penn Salt owned most of them, according to Culleiton's account. In that same year, people and goods poured into the town in 24 passenger and freight trains rolling through the area daily.

What accounted for Natrona's staying power? A combination of factors, according to Culleiton. "Natrona was the first town in the valley to have a large industry," he says. "People from all the neighboring communities worked at Penn Salt." Although Penn Salt closed the Natrona plant in 1959, selling the site to the steel mill, now Allegheny Technologies, the company left a long-lasting footprint in the town. "The salt company took care of its people," Culleiton says. "It provided medical service and housing -- people were proud to work for them. And they did well for over 100 years."

Culleiton adds that the geographic nature of the town, somewhat isolated, with the river on one side and hills on the other, brought everyone together for a long time. "There wasn't room for expansion, the community was close-knit, and it just continued through the years," he says. The strong community bonds were evident in the high number of social and fraternal organizations in the town.

"People were proud of their heritage, and many were religious," he says. A good chunk of Culleiton's book is devoted to the history of Natrona's schools and churches. Culleiton observes: "At one time in the 1900s, there were three different catholic grade schools, a catholic high school, a Lutheran grade school, Natrona high school and then two public grade schools, and today, there are no schools there."

Of course, culling through so much information, Culleiton has favorite historical nuggets about Natrona: During World War II, Penn Salt was manufacturing fluorine gas for Freon and refining high-octane aviation fuel. "But they were making much more fluorine than they needed for those uses," Culleiton says. "It was found out later that there was a building located in Natrona called the House of Secrets, and they were experimenting with developing the atomic bomb." Also in the national-security vein, Natrona made the top of a German list for sites to sabotage in the United States, targeting Penn Salt and Allegheny Steel.

"Historical Natrona" is available from the community group Natrona Comes Together, and the Allegheny-Kiski Valley Historical Society in Tarentum for $25.


Natrona County, Wyoming

Natrona County is a county located in the state of Wyoming. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 75,450, making it the second-most populous county in Wyoming. Its county seat is Casper.

Natrona County comprises the Casper, WY Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Etymology - Origin of Natrona County Name

Named for the natron, or soda deposits in the county.

Demographics:

Natrona County History

Natrona County was initially organized in the year 1888. the first settlement occurred in the Casper area in the late 1800s.

Wyoming's plains are the historical home to many nomadic tribes including the Cheyenne, Arapaho, Shoshone and Sioux. Today, about 6,000 Shoshone and Arapaho continue to reside on the 2.3 million acre Wind River Reservation, northwest of Natrona County.

Natrona county has a vast and varied history, from the Teapot Dome scandal to the oil and gas fields. Wyoming with its natural beauty and the history have attracted movie makers from John Wayne movies to science fiction movies.

In 1812, John Jacob Astor established Astoria at the mouth of the Columbia and sent Robert Stuart east to start what was hoped to become a network of trading posts. Stuart found South Pass by following a Crow Indian trail and entered our region. Near Bessemer Bend, Stuart and his small band erected the first white man's hut in 1812. Although Astor's plans failed when the British captured Astoria in 1812, trappers and scouts continued to explore our high plains and develop transit routes. On July 4, 1824, some of these trappers named Independence Rock.

In 1840, Father Jean Pierre DeSmet began spreading the gospel among area Indians. Father DeSmet was the first to carve his name on Independence Rock and give it the name, "The Register of the Desert."In 1843, John C. Fremont (known as "The Pathfinder") chiseled his name on Independence Rock and later with Kit Carson as his guide, went on to explore the country along the Platte and Sweetwater Rivers.

Geography: Land and Water

As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 5,376 square miles (13,923 km 2 ), of which, 5,340 square miles (13,830 km 2 ) of it is land and 36 square miles (93 km 2 ) of it (0.67%) is water.

Natrona County is located in the central part of Wyoming and consists of 5,369 square miles, covering 3,436,160 acres with a population of almost 65,000. The county seat is in Casper, which offers a multitude of choices for a wealth of natural and cultural history. Casper is the only place where the Oregon, Mormon, Overland, Pony Express, and Bridger Trails intersect. Cattle and sheep ranching were among the first enterprises, and diverse geological formations fostered the development of an energy industry fueled by oil, gas, coal, and uranium.


Natrona APA-214 - History

Natrona County's long, colorful history is very important in the settlement of the Old West. The North Platte River runs through Carbon, Converse, Goshen, Platte, and Natrona Counties. It starts in northern Colorado and flows north til it makes an eastward bend around Casper, and onward to Nebraska. Indians called it Mini Nebrathka, or spreading outer. The French Malley brothers named it in 1739, "La Platte" each means broad and shallow.

Because pioneers needed a source of water in their travels, several trails ran through the county, and it is difficult to separate the trails from the events that occurred along these trails - as evidenced by the trail landmarks mentioned above. The Mormon Trail, the California Trail, the Oregon Trail and the Pony Express made their east-to-west run through the county. For the most part, these four trails followed the same route through Natrona County. These trails were the reason for many of the forts and small sites for river crossings. Bridger Trail left Fort Caspar, went to northwest to Lysite in Fremont County, up Bridger Creek, through the Big Horn Basin, west of the Big Horn Mountains and joined the Bozeman Trail east of the town of Bozeman , Montana. Jim Bridger used this route to avoid trespassing on Indian hunting grounds.

Of all the western trails used by fur traders, gold seekers, missionaries, and emigrants, the Oregon Trail was most important. Beginning in 1841 and lasting over 20 years, it was the route over which many thousands of emigrants traveled the 2,000 miles from western Missouri to Oregon's Willamette River Valley and to other locations in the Pacific Northwest. This tide of emigration and settlement caused England to relinquish her hold on the Old Oregon Territory in 1846, when it became part of the United States, comprising the present States of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, as well as those parts of Wyoming and Montana west of the Continental Divide. The National Park Service has identified the official 2,170 mile Oregon Trail route, which begins at Independence, Missouri, and extends through the states of Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, and into Oregon, where it ends at Oregon City. It is a single route except for two relatively short branches one alternate route begins at Three Mile Crossing and the other at The Dalles, Oregon. The California Trail split from the Oregon Trail in western Wyoming significant travelers went this way before 1849, but a flood followed the 1849 discovery of gold in California.

A unique story in the westward movement is that of the Mormon Trail. The Mormons, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints, journeyed west not for gold, but for the chance to build a Zion free from religious persecution. They called their migration to the Great Basin "the gathering". Approximately 70,000 church members, tens of thousands from the British Isles and Scandinavia, followed the trail to Utah between the years 1847 and 1869. Detailed planning, organization, and supervision by the Church Leaders characterize the Mormon migration. Another unique aspect of the gathering was the use of handcarts instead of wagons to carry the belongings of nearly 3,000 poorer "saints" to Utah in the 1850's.

On the Mormon Trail, the Mormon Ferry was built in 1847 at the direction of Brigham Young, to cross the Platte River near present day Casper. It was made of two large cottonwood canoes, fastened together with coarse pieces of rope and covered with slabs. It was large enough that oxen teams did not need to be unhitched from the wagons. Nine Mormons stayed to operate the ferry. It was used until Louis Guinard built a bridge in 1858.

After founding Salt Lake City, the Mormons settled over 300 communities in the West. Most settlements were in Utah, but others ranged from Canada to Mexico. These agricultural settlements were important to the economic development of the west. They provided supplies to western towns specializing in mining and other industries.

The Mormon Pioneer Trail is a component of the National Trails System. The official 1,300 mile route begins at Nauvoo, Illinois, and extends through the states of Iowa, Nebraska, and into Utah, where it ends at Salt Lake City. while nearly two-thirds of the trail is now in private ownership, many of the places and events associated with the trail can be seen or visited. Where wagons once rolled and teams traveled, highways, railroads, and bridges allow for modern-day travel.

This is a brief look at the early days of Natrona County (and some of what it is today).


Natrona County, Wyoming

Natrona County lies at the intersection of the basins, mountains and great plains of Wyoming that remain after billions of years of geological change. Here, water and wind have exposed rock layers, creating a dramatic landscape. Red outcroppings of sandstone vie with white limestone and variegated granites. Distinctive land features include Casper Mountain, Independence Rock, the Red Buttes, Devil’s Gate and Teapot Rock.

Much of the county holds buried treasures of oil and natural gas. More visible are outcrops of coal, remains of primordial swamps. Early-day prospectors also exploited deposits of copper, trona and asbestos.

This is an arid environment averaging ten inches of moisture per year, but few years are average. The mountains, such as Casper Mountain, receive considerably more moisture, usually in late winter snow storms. Run-off in the early summer can lead to flooding of the North Platte and Sweetwater rivers as well as smaller tributaries. Only man-made reservoirs prevent wholesale damage downstream.

Ancient nomads traveled through and lived in the area that would later become the county between 12,000 and 9,000 years ago. These people traveled during the warmer seasons and then settled in sheltered areas for the winter. They hunted big game like bison antiquus aaaaaand columbian and woolly mammoths, as well as smaller animals, and gathered edible plant materials such as berries and seeds.

Archaeologists have excavated a number of areas in Natrona County, mostly bison kill and butchering sites. A dig conducted in 2006 by local archeo-geologist John Albanese at Hell’s Half Acre, west of Casper, Wyo. found spear points and other materials that dated from 3,000 to 1,200 years ago. In 1971, Wyoming State Archaeologist George Frison excavated a bison kill site west of Casper, on the north bank of the North Platte River. The site dated from 10,000 to 9,500 years ago.

More recent Indian groups, including the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, Arapaho, Crow and Shoshone tribes migrated through and occasionally wintered in the county, beginning in the 1700s. Their lives came under increasing pressure after the arrival of Euro Americans. By the late 1800s, the U.S. government required most tribes to settle on reservations. Even so, bands of Lakota and Shoshone traveled through the county into the 1890s.

Many early European explorers came through Wyoming, among them Robert Stuart and his companions, who traveled east from Fort Astoria on the Pacific coast in 1812. History credits Stuart with recording the first European travel west to east on what became known as the Oregon Trail. A later explorer and mapmaker, John C. Frémont, nicknamed ”The Pathfinder,” gave the North Platte’s modern-day Pathfinder Dam and Reservoir their name. Photographer William Henry Jackson, who traveled with mapmaker Ferdinand Hayden, documented his travels through present‑day Natrona County in photographs and paintings.

In the mid-19th century, the North Platte and Sweetwater rivers became the route for numerous travelers moving to Oregon, California or the valley of the Great Salt Lake. The Oregon/California/Mormon Trail followed the river upstream from Nebraska, allowing emigrants to follow a clear path west.

Dangerous river crossings prompted entrepreneurs to construct ferries and bridges from what is now Douglas, Wyoming west into the Sweetwater country. The Archambault brothers and Charles Lajeunesse ran the Sweetwater bridges in the 1850s. First the Mormons ran a ferry just west of Casper, near present-day Mills, and then Louis Guinard established a bridge nearby. John Richard operated a series of bridges, the most notable being the one at what’s now Evansville,Wyo., east of Casper.

Beginning in the 1850s, the U.S. Army posted troops along the river to protect travelers at the crossings and later to defend the new telegraph line connecting the eastern states and California. In 1865, two famous battles between Indians and soldiers occurred in what is now Natrona County near an army post built at Guinard’s bridge. During the Battle of Platte Bridge Station on July 25, 1865, Cheyenne and Lakota warriors killed numerous soldiers including Lieutenant Caspar Collins. On the same day, more Indians attacked Sergeant Amos Custard and his small supply train a few miles to the west. In honor of Collins, the Army designated the post as Fort Casper, misspelling his name in the process. In 1888, the town of Casper, soon to be the county seat of Natrona County, also took Collins’s misspelled name.

Some of the earliest businesses in the county were cattle and sheep operations. Joseph Carey and his brother controlled much of the west side of the county including parts of what later became Casper. Joseph Carey later became a U.S. senator and Wyoming governor. Bryant B. Brooks, another land baron who invested in cattle and sheep, was also elected Wyoming governor. Texas rancher Gilbert Searight established the Goose Egg Ranch near Bessemer, west of Casper. The Goose Egg ranch house was a hotel, restaurant and possibly used as the setting for part of Owen Wister’s novel, The Virginian. Searight sold out to the Carey Brothers in time to avoid the horrible winter of 1886-1887.

Out in the Sweetwater country the biggest ranchers were Tom Sun, Bonaparte “Boney” Earnest, Albert and John Bothwell, and Tom and John Durbin. Perhaps the most notorious incident in that part of the county was the hanging of James Averell and Ellen Watson on July 20, 1889, by vigilantes Tom Sun, John Durbin, Albert Bothwell, Robert Conner, Robert Galbraith and Ernest McLean. A grand jury failed to bring charges against the men. Publicity, almost certainly engineered by the vigilantes, branded Watson as Cattle Kate, a notorious rustler, tarring her reputation until new research turned up the real story, clearing her name, in the 1990s.

In addition to the owners of large parcels of land were numerous smaller ranchers some raised cattle and somer raised sheep. Sheep began appearing on the ranges mostly in the northern and western parts of the county in the 1880s, but sheep ranching was not a big part of the economy until the 1890s. Many of the sheepmen were Irish immigrants and some of them, too, eventually controlled large acreages of land.

But as sheep numbers rose in the 1890s, and numbers of cattle gradually declined, tensions between cattlemen and sheep ranchers led to violence over who would get to use the open range. Particularly in northern Wyoming, some cattlemen tried to eliminate their competition, killing entire bands of sheep and sometimes sheepherders. In 1909, the peak year for sheep, there were around 6 million in Wyoming, and only about a seventh as many cattle. Cattle-sheep ratios were probably similar in Natrona County. In the early 1910s, tensions between cattle and sheep raisers finally began to decrease.

As towns sprang up in the late 1880s, residents began seeking a county government with the infant town of Casper at the center of this effort. In 1890, Territorial Governor Francis E. Warren signed legislation splitting Carbon County in two with the north half becoming Natrona County. Casper and Bessemer, ten miles farther up the North Platte, vied for the plum title of county seat. Bessemer got more votes, but the number was so much larger than the hamlet’s actual population that election officials declared the returns fraudulent, and Casper won the election, ensuring its survival and leading to Bessemer’s demise.

Casper in 1890 was hardly an upscale community. Most buildings were wood, but the addition of new government buildings constructed of sturdy brick led to reconstruction and expansion of business blocks in brick and stone. The Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad and later the Burlington Northern made the town into a supply and distribution hub. Other towns began to grow as ranching and oil discoveries drew people to the far reaches of the county.

Along with government and business infrastructure, houses, schools and churches made the towns good places to live and raise families. Newspapers competed aggressively for readers while detailing all of the comings and goings of residents and businessmen. Alfred Mokler, who arrived in 1897 to run the Natrona County Tribune, became an influential local opinion-maker. When he wrote his opinionated, but mostly factual History of Natrona County, Wyoming, 1888-1922 in 1923, he also became the official chronicler of the county’s past.

Little did people realize the immense changes that were coming their way when Cyrus Iba filed for the first oil lease in the county in the early 1880s. Beginning in the 1890s, scores of investors began to converge on Casper and by the turn of the century, test wells were common in the area. Mark Shannon created the Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Company in 1888 to exploit possible oil properties in the Wyoming fields.

Transportation problems and the need for a local refinery hampered early efforts, but soon Pennsylvania Oil and Gas built a refinery in Casper. French and Belgian investors also set up operations, but it was the Midwest Oil Company in 1910 that began the first really big development. John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil was a latecomer. By the end of the 1920s, he had bought out most of the competition.

Around the same time, federal funds first came to the county in a substantial way with the construction of Pathfinder Dam on the North Platte River in Fremont Canyon, near the southern border of Natrona County. The U.S. Reclamation Service built the dam to store water for irriagation. Freight and supplies were shipped 50 miles out from Casper by mule train. The dam was completed in 1911.

In the 1910s and 1920s, the Salt Creek oil patch at the northern end of Natrona County was the largest production field in the world. This drew thousands of workers and their families, most of the men veterans of World War I, to Casper and the small towns that cropped up in the oil district. Salt Creek (later renamed Midwest), Edgerton, Lavoye and Snyder were just a few of the towns that arose almost over night. Edgerton and Midwest were the only towns to survive.

The Great Depression arrived in most of the nation after the stock-market crash of 1929. But economic difficulties hit Wyoming’s oil industry years earlier, in 1926. As prices and demand dropped, Natrona County experienced its first energy bust, and many people left.

After President Franklin Roosevelt took office in 1933, New Deal programs brought much- needed money and jobs into the county. Civilian Conservation Corps workers helped build roads and ski slopes on Casper Mountain. Works Project Administration and Public Works Administration money contributed to the construction of a replica of Fort Casper on its original site, a new post office and federal building downtown and provided funds for Alcova Dam, a U.S. Bureau of Reclamation project 30 miles upstream on the North Platte.

World War II, which began for the United States on December 7, 1941, finally brought the country out of the Depression and took hundreds of thousands of young men and women off to war. The war also brought the Casper Army Air Base to what is now the Natrona County International Airport. The base provided jobs for locals and introduced flyers-in-training to Wyoming hospitality.

After the war, many veterans returned to the state. They started families, found jobs and readjusted to their postwar lives. Natrona County’s population grew by more than 30 percent, from 23,858 to 31,437, between 1940 and 1950. In the following decade, population increased another 57 percent, reaching 49,623.

This was the time of television, and growing families and towns. Casper College opened for its first students in 1945, and a decade later was building a modern campus south of town on “C” Hill. This two-year college offered returning veterans an opportunity to begin their college educations paid for by the G.I. Bill.

From 1945 into the early 1970s was an era of optimism. Modern oilmen Dave True, Neil McMurry, Fred Goodstein, Tom Stroock and John Wold all began or expanded their operations during this time. The economic boom allowed these men and others to make fortunes in oil, real estate, construction and ranching. Casper was also a center in these years for the uranium business with offices of companies operating mines in nearby Carbon and Fremont counties. In spite of the prosperity, the population grew slowly in the 1960s. The census of 1970 recorded an additional 1,641 people, bringing the total up just 3.3 percent to 51,264.

Casper continued as the region’s hub, offering retail, medical and other services. In Casper and other communities, town leaders used tax revenues to pave streets, build sewer systems and provide a good water supply. Veterans Administration loans assisted veterans in buying many new houses.

Recreation and entertainment added to the quality of life. Casper had a symphony, movie theaters and beginning in 1957, the Casper Troopers, a drum and bugle corps that competed nationally. Ski enthusiasts enjoyed fresh powder on a few small ski slopes on Casper Mountain. The largest was Hogadon Basin Ski Area, which opened in 1959, and is still in use today, operated by the City of Casper. Many people also took advantage of the recreational opportunities at Alcova and Pathfinder Reservoirs.

Some of the luster ended when an economic bust in 1973 marked the end of the age of refineries and big oil production in Natrona County. Increasingly, oil came from other parts of the world but new types of oil drilling as well as an emphasis on natural gas eventually revived the county’s economy. Producers started shipping petroleum out by pipeline. The 1980 census showed 20,592 more residents than in 1970, a 40 percent increase that brought the total population to 71,856.

The most recent era of Natrona County’s history, between 1980 and 2011, showed some significant changes. Another energy bust in the 1980s led many of the larger oil companies to close their Casper offices, and forced local producers to diversify. Population fell. In addition to drilling, supplying equipment and workers kept companies afloat. The drilling supply business picked up again in the 1990s, with a boom in coal-bed methane production in the Powder River Basin to the north and east.

Cultural organizations continued to evolve. The Nicolaysen Art Museum opened in the restored Mountain States Power or Casper Lumber building in 1987. The museum and the expanded Natrona County Library anchored the eastern end of the historic downtown.

Casper remained a regional service center as large retailers came to town, and the Natrona County Memorial Hospital became the Wyoming Medical Center, providing increasingly complex and professional medical care. Casper College established a partnership with the University of Wyoming to offer four-year degrees in Casper. Government, service and medical jobs formed the core of the county economy.

The Texaco Refinery shut down in 1982 and the Amoco Refinery in 1991. After Amoco was absorbed by British Petroleum, that company cooperated with Natrona County and the City of Casper to clean up the refinery site and develop a golf course, river walk and business park on the property, which opened in 2004.

After a population loss during the bust of the 1980s, the area numbers were again climbing in the beginning of the 21 st century. As the county turned 120 years old in 2010, there was a sense of optimism in Natrona County. The population was up again, to 75,450. A diverse economy, a second hospital, other new medical businesses and many cultural amenities boded well for the county’s future. The resilience of the people showed through all the years of boom and bust. From early days, Natrona County was not appreciated by everyone, but those hardy enough to stay during tough times held it dear.


Assista o vídeo: Красновичок и EI - МИЗАНТРОПИЯ (Dezembro 2021).