Notícia

História do Alabama - História

História do Alabama - História

Antona

(ScStr: t. 549, dr. 13 '; s. 8 k .; cpl. 56; a. 2 32-pdrs., 1 20-pdr.
P.r., 2 24-pdr. sb.)

Na manhã de 6 de janeiro de 1863, o navio a vapor Union Pocahontas avistou um navio no Golfo do México, navegando para o oeste perto da costa do Alabama e dirigiu-se para a entrada da baía de Mobile. Logo depois que o bloqueador se virou para interceptar o estranho, para que não alcançasse a proteção dos canhões do sul em Fort Morgan - então a cerca de 14 quilômetros de distância -, o navio não identificado alterou seu próprio curso em um esforço para escapar. Ambas as embarcações levaram seus motores ao limite e lançaram todas as velas possíveis. Pocahontas lentamente alcançou sua presa, mas o sol estava perto do horizonte antes que ela estivesse perto o suficiente para disparar um tiro no navio em fuga. A bala ficou aquém de seu alcatrão, que então içou as cores inglesas enquanto ela continuava seu vôo. Cerca de uma hora antes da meia-noite, o navio da União havia fechado a cerca de meia milha e disparou mais duas balas em rápida sucessão, o que prontamente trouxe o navio a cerca de 30 milhas ao sul a sudeste de Cape an Blas, Flórida. Ela provou ser Antona, um navio a vapor britânico de casco de ferro construído recentemente em Glasgow, Escócia. Ela partiu de Liverpool e seguiu via St. Thomas, Ilhas Virgens, para Havana, Cuba. Lá, ela pegou uma carga de contrabando de armas pequenas de pólvora, chá e conhaque antes de embarcar para Mobile no dia de Ano Novo de 1863.

Depois de acompanhar Pocahontas de volta à frota de bloqueio ao largo de Mobile, Antona - tripulado por uma tripulação premiada - partiu para a Filadélfia para julgamento. No entanto, enquanto ainda estava no golfo, ela teve um vazamento que a forçou a voltar. Enquanto ela estava passando por reparos em New Orleans, ela foi abalroada por navios em duas ocasiões diferentes. Essas colisões pioraram sua condição de vazamento, causaram outros danos significativos e exigiram grandes reparos antes que ela pudesse voltar ao mar.

Terminada a obra, Antona foi colocada em comissão em 19 de março de 1863, mas o litígio contra ela por violação do bloqueio só foi concluído por mais um ano. Então, tendo sido condenado, à revelia, pelo tribunal de premiação de Nova York, ela foi finalmente comprada pela Marinha em 28 de março de 1864.

Após o comissionamento, o navio a vapor começou a operar no baixo Mississippi como um navio de dispersão, trabalhando principalmente entre New Orleans e Port Hudson, Louisiana. Essa tarefa era extremamente importante neste momento porque o contra-almirante Farragut em Hartford havia disparado rio acima, passando pelas baterias confederadas em Port Hudson e estava patrulhando o rio entre aquela fortaleza do sul e Vicksbur para apoiar o contra-almirante Porter

operações conjuntas com as tropas do Major General Grant no primeiro esforço para abrir todo o Mississippi ao transporte marítimo da União. A rendição de Vicksburg no Dia da Independência de 1863 e a ocupação
A nação de Port Hudson cinco dias depois concluiu essa tarefa e liberou Antona para outras tarefas.

No final da noite de 13 de julho, Antona, comandada pelo mestre em exercício Charles T. Chase, partiu de Nova Orleans e rumou rio abaixo. No entanto, pouco antes das 4 horas da manhã seguinte, ela colidiu com Sciota, afundando aquela canhoneira em 3,6 metros de profundidade a cerca de 13 quilômetros rio acima da Quarentena. Como Antona saiu ilesa, ela pôde retomar sua viagem no dia 15 e, ao reentrar no golfo, seguiu na direção geralmente sudoeste. No dia 16, ela capturou Cecelia D. e enviou aquela escuna inglesa para Nova Orleans com uma tripulação premiada. Após sua chegada a Galveston, Texas, no dia 18, Chase relatou ao Comodoro Henry H. Bell, que comandava as forças de bloqueio da União na região. Dois dias depois, Bell ordenou a Antona que patrulhasse a costa entre Velasco, no Texas, e a foz do Rio Grande. O navio chegou a este último na manhã do dia 24 e Chase imediatamente desembarcou para enviar despachos para o cônsul dos Estados Unidos em Matamoras, México. Enquanto o oficial do Sindicato voltava ao seu navio no barco mexicano Margarita, um bando de homens armados na costa do Texas ameaçou abrir fogo contra o barco se ele não se dirigisse para a margem. Quando Margarita chegou ao solo do Texas, os homens - que provaram ser soldados do sul - prenderam Chase e o enviaram para Brownsville. Mestre em exercício Spiro V. Bennis, o oficial executivo de Antona soube do infortúnio de Chase por um navio inglês que passava e permaneceu nas proximidades até verificar o relatório. Antona então subiu a costa e chegou ao largo de Galveston em 27 de julho.

O navio ficou nas proximidades até arrancar novamente no dia 4 de agosto e regressar à costa. No dia 6, Antona - então sob o comando do Mestre Interino Lyman Wells - capturou Betsy cerca de 16 milhas a sudeste de Corpus Christi, voando com as cores inglesas e supostamente de Matamoras a Nova Orleans com uma carga geral. Wells enviou aquela escuna para Nova Orleans com uma tripulação premiada para julgamento. Antona desembarcou na foz do Rio Grande no dia 8 e reembarcou Chase que havia sido libertado pelo Brigadeiro General Hamilton P. Bee, CSA - que comandava as tropas confederadas no Texas - por ter sido capturado em águas neutras. Ela navegou para Galveston dois dias depois e alcançou a estação de bloqueio daquele porto no dia 12, sofrendo danos em suas caldeiras, maquinário e hélice. Rebocado para Nova Orleans pelas Bermudas, ela permaneceu lá em reparos até descer o rio em 16 de novembro para retornar à costa do Texas. No dia 29, seu novo oficial comandante, Mestre em exercício Alfred L. B. Zerega, relatou ter capturado Mani Ann três dias antes. Aquela escuna do sul de Sabine, Texas, partira de Caleasieu Pass no dia 21 e se dirigia a Tampico, México, com uma carga de algodão. Como o prêmio estava vazando muito, Zerega transferiu seu algodão para as Bermudas para entrega aos comissários federais do prêmio em Nova Orleans e então destruiu a escuna antes de retomar a viagem de Antona para o sul.

Antona marcou novamente na véspera de Natal de 1863, quando pegou a escuna britânica Exchange 10 milhas a leste de Velasco, Texas. Este navio havia partido de Veracruz, México, com uma carga geral muito variada, incluindo uma grande quantidade de bebida, e estava supostamente rumo a Nova Orleans. Como ela estava muito longe daquele porto, Zerega apreendeu a escuna, tirou a bebida dela desde que ele '. não considerou seguro deixá-lo ir na escuna até Nova Orleans. "Depois de prometer enviá-lo para julgamento. No dia 11 ... ele foi a primeira oportunidade segura. Zerega enviou o prêmio para Nova Orleans e retomou a patrulha de Antona.

As operações do navio durante o restante da Guerra Civil foram semelhantes às de seus serviços anteriores. Sua última ação notável ocorreu antes do amanhecer de 10 de fevereiro de 1865, quando um barco do navio se juntou a uma expedição liderada pelo tenente Charles E. McKay da Princesa Royal para destruir o grande navio a vapor com casco de ferro Will O 'The Wisp, que encalhou em Galveston . Após o fim da guerra, Antona partiu de Pensacola em 27 de julho de 1865 e seguiu para o norte. Ela foi desativada em Nova York em 12 de agosto de 1865 e vendida em leilão lá para G. W. Quintard em 30 de novembro de 1865. Redocumentado Carlotta em 5 de janeiro de 1867, o navio serviu como um comerciante operando fora de Nova York até ser destruído por um incêndio em 1874.


História de Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery, Alabama, foi incorporada em 1819, como uma fusão de duas cidades situadas ao longo do rio Alabama. Tornou-se a capital do estado em 1846. Em fevereiro de 1861, Montgomery foi escolhida como a primeira capital dos Estados Confederados da América, até que a sede do governo mudou para Richmond, Virgínia, em maio daquele ano. [1] Durante a metade do século 20, Montgomery foi o principal local do Movimento pelos Direitos Civis, incluindo o boicote aos ônibus de Montgomery e as marchas de Selma a Montgomery. [1]


Guerreiro

Coal Train Outrora a casa de uma cidade de índios Creek, a área em que Warrior agora se encontra foi aberta para assentamento após a derrota de Creek na Guerra Creek de 1813-14. A primeira escola foi construída na área antes mesmo de o Alabama se tornar um Estado.
  • Serviços educacionais e cuidados de saúde e assistência social (16,9 por cento)
  • Comércio varejista (14,5 por cento)
  • Finanças e seguros e imóveis e aluguel e leasing (14,0 por cento)
  • Artes, entretenimento e recreação e acomodação e serviços de alimentação (10,5 por cento)
  • Fabricação (10,3 por cento)
  • Transporte e armazenamento e serviços públicos (8,2 por cento)
  • Serviços profissionais, científicos e de gestão e administrativos e de gestão de resíduos (8,0 por cento)
  • Comércio atacadista (7,0 por cento)
  • Construção (3,4 por cento)
  • Outros serviços, exceto administração pública (3,4 por cento)
  • Informação (2,7 por cento)
  • Administração pública (1,1 por cento)

Warrior possui vários parques e um complexo de beisebol que também inclui um playground e pavilhões. O Warrior Community Center está localizado no centro da cidade. Rickwood Caverns State Park está localizado a alguns quilômetros ao norte da cidade.

Comitê do Livro do Patrimônio do Condado de Jefferson. The Heritage of Jefferson County. Clanton, Ala .: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2002.


Alabama digital .com

Extraído de: HISTÓRIA DO CONDADO DE CLARKE POR JOHN SIMPSON GRAHAM Imprensa da BIRMINGHAM PRINTING COMPANY Birmingham, Ala. 1923

No ano de 1800, os brancos começaram a se estabelecer neste condado, e em 1813 havia um grande número de colonos ao longo do lado oeste do condado. Em 1813 os índios tornaram-se muito incômodos e os brancos ficaram alarmados e iniciaram a construção de fortes em vários pontos do município. De acordo com a história de Ball & # 8217s de Clarke County, eles estavam localizados da seguinte forma:

Fort Madison estava situado no canto nordeste da Seção 1 no Township 6, Range 3 East, quatro milhas e meia ao sul e cerca de uma milha e meia a oeste da aldeia de Suggsville na crista divisória. Cobriu cerca de um acre de terreno. Uma trincheira foi cavada ao redor dos limites externos de três pés de profundidade e nela os corpos de pinheiros foram inseridos lado a lado com cortes de cerca de 15 pés de comprimento. Uma parede contínua de pinheiros com cerca de 12 pés de altura, portanto, cercava o recinto. Dentro estavam as tendas e cabanas dos colonos vizinhos. A empresa Coronel Carson & # 8217 ocupou o Fort Glass.

Fort Singuefield foi construído da mesma maneira, mas era menor do que Fort Madison. Ele estava localizado na Seção 13, Township 8, Range 3 East.

Fort White ficava a uma curta distância a nordeste de Grove Hill.

Carney & # 8217s Fort ficava em Tombigbee em Gullet & # 8217s Bluff, algumas milhas abaixo de Jackson.

O McGrew Fort ficava quase ao norte do Old St. Stephens, na esquina da Seção 1, Township 7, Range 1 West.

Landrum & # 8217s Fort ficavam na Section 18, Township 8, Range 2 East, agora em Good Springs & # 8217 Beat.

O forte Mott & # 8217s ficava no mesmo bairro.

O Fort Turner & # 8217s ficava perto da residência de Abner Turner.

O forte de Easley & # 8217s ficava no rio Tombigbee na Seção 11, Township 11, Range 1 West.

O forte de Powell & # 8217s ficava perto de Oven Bluff.

Fort Glass ficava ao sul de Suggsville.

Lavier & # 8217s Fort podem ter sido ao sul de Suggsville.

Esses fortes talvez tenham sido construídos no ano de 1913 [sic, provavelmente 1813] no mesmo ano em que ocorreram as batalhas de Milho Queimado, Forte Mims, Forte Sinquefield, Escaramuça Bashi e Luta de Canoa.

As batalhas de Burnt Corn e Fort Mims não ocorreram no condado de Clarke, mas estão tão intimamente ligados ao condado, e os condados de Clarke participando de ambas as batalhas, consideramos apropriado mencioná-las.

Um relato completo de todas essas batalhas pode ser encontrado em Pickett & # 8217s History e reproduzido abaixo. Todas essas batalhas ocorreram em 1813, julho, agosto, setembro, outubro e novembro, respectivamente.


História do Alabama - História

Trilhas da genealogia do Condado de Crenshaw, Alabama

[Nota do transcritor & # 39s: alguns realmente erros de digitação óbvios encontrados no original foram corrigidos - caso contrário, todas as outras grafias foram mantidas]


Capítulo I
História da formação do condado de Crenshaw

O condado de Crenshaw, localizado no centro-sul do Alabama, naquela seção do estado conhecida como cinturão de madeira, é um condado relativamente novo. Foi denominado "Condado de reconstrução", pois foi criado por um ato legislativo em 24 de novembro de 1866.
Foi através dos esforços de William H. Chapman, um representante da legislatura estadual do condado de Covington em 1866-7, que o ato que permitiu que partes dos condados de Butler, Pike, Coffee, Lowndes e Covington fossem tomadas e usadas no a formação do condado de Crenshaw foi aprovada. Chapman introduziu a medida para a criação do condado e a apoiou vigorosamente na legislatura estadual até que fosse aprovada.

O próprio Chapman mudou-se para Crenshaw logo depois que ela se tornou um condado e estudou medicina em Rutledge. Depois de receber sua licença médica, ele se mudou para Leon, na parte sul do condado, onde praticou a medicina por vários anos antes de se mudar para o condado de Coffee, perto de Elba, onde morreu.

O ato de estabelecimento do condado, nomeado Felix Jordan, George W. Thaggard, Thomas Mahone, J. D. Chapman e Adam Benhow como Comissários para realizar uma eleição para funcionários do condado e sede do condado na primeira segunda-feira de março de 1867.

Dois lugares, Barber & # 39s Cross Roads e Fuller & # 39s Cross Roads foram votados para decidir qual seria o local da sede do condado. Barber & # 39s Cross Roads recebeu o maior número de votos e, portanto, foi declarada sede de condado. O nome da vila foi mudado para Rutledge, sendo nomeado em homenagem ao Capitão Henry Rutledge, Comandante da Companhia C, 59th Alabama Infantry, que deu sua vida pela confederação em Drewry & # 39s Bluff.

Os primeiros funcionários do condado a serem eleitos foram George W. Thaggard, Juiz de Sucessões John R. Snow, Sheriff Francis Cody, Escriturário W. T. Massey, Assessor de Impostos James M. Lawerence, Coletor de Impostos.

AN Northey foi o primeiro senador a representar o condado na legislatura estadual em 1868. Ele foi seguido no mesmo ano por William Mastin, o primeiro senador em que o povo do condado votou desde que se tornou cidadão de um novo condado, que representou o condado até 1870. Neste ano, WP Calloway foi eleito senador e em 1871 tornou-se o primeiro cidadão do condado a ser eleito deputado para a legislatura estadual, cumprindo um mandato de dois anos em 1871-2.

Crenshaw, depois de se tornar um condado em 1866, envolveu-se em sua primeira convenção constitucional estadual em 1867. Ela enviou como seu representante o competente James H. Howard.

Em 11 de maio de 1893, após uma eleição popular na qual a mudança foi aprovada, a sede do condado de Crenshaw foi transferida de Rutledge para a nova e empreendedora cidade de Luverne.

Luverne, mais tarde a principal cidade do concelho, situa-se na parte central do concelho junto ao rio Patsaliga, perto de uma antiga aldeia indígena. O terreno onde a cidade foi construída fazia parte da plantação Cody. Luverne foi batizado em homenagem à esposa de M. P. LeGrand de Montgomery, que comprou um terreno no condado para uma ferrovia. Em 1888, a Luverne Land Company foi organizada por S. D. Hubbard, M.P. LeGrand e George A, Folmar, J. O. Sentell pesquisaram o terreno e construíram um lote de ruas para a cidade. Depois disso, em 1889, a cidade foi incorporada às leis do Alabama. Uma eleição foi realizada no mesmo ano em que J. O. Sentell foi eleito o primeiro prefeito da cidade. Os vereadores eleitos foram o Dr. J. R. Horn, G. W. Pope, G. A. Folmar e G. F. Kirkpatrick. O secretário da cidade era R. P. Fundaburk, e o Marshall era G. W.Turner.

O condado de Crenshaw recebeu o nome do Honorável Juiz Anderson Crenshaw do condado de Butler. O juiz Crenshaw nasceu na Carolina do Sul em 1776, onde passou seus primeiros anos lá e frequentou o South Carolina College, onde foi o primeiro aluno a se formar. Ainda jovem, o juiz Crenshaw veio para a antiga capital do estado do Alabama, Cahaba. Ele permaneceu lá por vários anos, durante os quais passou 12 anos como membro da Suprema Corte do Alabama. Saindo de Cahaba, o juiz Crenshaw se estabeleceu no condado de Butler, onde se tornou famoso por suas interpretações justas da lei. Sempre um indivíduo justo e respeitado, o juiz Crenshaw foi homenageado em 1866 pelas pessoas que se lembravam dele e nomearam o condado de Crenshaw em sua homenagem.

Capítulo 2
História Antiga e Primeiros Colonos do Condado

A história inicial do condado de Crenshaw remonta a antes de 1814, quando o território que agora forma o condado fazia parte da Confederação Indiana Creek. Esta terra era usada principalmente pelos índios como terreno de caça, onde encontravam uma abundância de caça selvagem, especialmente veados e perus. Os peixes nos numerosos riachos também eram abundantes.

Muitos vestígios de índios foram encontrados no condado, especialmente ao longo das margens de seus riachos. Locais de acampamento foram encontrados em vários locais, mas os únicos vestígios de um local de aldeia permanente encontrados no condado foram encontrados em HN McLeod plantation cerca de duas milhas a noroeste da atual cidade de Glenwood.

Após a derrota dos índios Creek nas mãos do General Andrew Jackson, o território que incluía o condado de Crenshaw foi cedido aos Estados Unidos pela Confederação Indígena Creek em um tratado assinado em Fort Toulouse em 9 de agosto de 1814. Após isso, a terra se tornou um parte do Território do Mississippi e permaneceu nesta capacidade até 1817, quando o Alabama foi designado um território. Depois que o Alabama alcançou a condição de estado em 1819, o território que agora forma o condado de Crenshaw foi dividido entre vários dos condados vizinhos até que o ato legislativo criando o condado foi aprovado em 1866.

De importância histórica para o condado é a Old Three Notch Trail, uma estrada militar que deveria ser usada pelas tropas do General Jackson. Esta estrada corta a parte inferior do condado perto do local atual de Dozier. Também na parte norte do condado, passando perto de Honoraville, ficava a trilha Merriweather, que se acredita ter sido uma estrada que conduzia de Greenville à Geórgia, usada por tropas militares e primeiros colonizadores.
No condado de Crenshaw, encontra-se uma das mais puras linhagens de descendentes de ingleses, irlandeses e escoceses em qualquer lugar dos Estados Unidos. As pessoas que colonizaram o condado eram descendentes diretos dos colonos das treze colônias originais. A maioria deles veio da Carolina do Sul e da Geórgia, estabelecendo-se primeiro em outras partes do estado e depois mudando-se para o condado de Crenshaw.

O restante deste capítulo será dedicado a uma discussão e a esboços biográficos das primeiras famílias que se estabeleceram no condado de Crenshaw. Como será apontado, muitos deles vieram quando a terra ainda era um deserto habitado por homens vermelhos e feras.
.
Provavelmente o primeiro homem a se estabelecer no condado foi Francis Daniel, que com sua esposa veio para Crenshaw de sua antiga casa no condado de Montgomery pouco depois de 1820. O Sr. Daniel e sua esposa se estabeleceram perto do atual local de Honoraville, onde ele melhorou uma fazenda e engajado em sua ocupação como plantador. Na época de sua colonização, esta parte do condado não era nada além de um deserto repleto de índios e animais selvagens. O Sr. Daniel, entretanto, era amigável com os índios e descobriu que negociar com eles era muito lucrativo para ele e sua esposa, que estavam a quilômetros de seu próprio povo.

John Cody se estabeleceu em outra parte do condado logo depois que Francis Daniel se estabeleceu perto de Honoraville, o primeiro a se estabelecer perto da atual localização da sede do condado. Luverne. O Sr. Cody foi, na verdade, um dos primeiros colonos do estado. Ele veio para o condado de Pike muito cedo, e por volta de 1825 ele e sua esposa se mudaram para o condado de Crenshaw, onde ele limpou uma fazenda e construiu um lar para eles. Seu filho, Francis Cody, que mais tarde se tornou o primeiro secretário de circuito do condado, nasceu aqui em 1829.

Pouco depois de John Cody se estabelecer perto de Luverne, Richard Whitehead Horn se estabeleceu no que mais tarde se tornou conhecido como New Providence, que está localizado perto de Glenwood. O Sr. Horn e sua esposa vieram aqui em 1826, quando os vizinhos mais próximos estavam a quilômetros de distância, ele e sua esposa recém-casada estavam cercados por feras e selvagens, mas aqui na floresta o Sr. Horn começou a trabalhar para construir uma casa para eles, e para envolvê-lo com os confortos da vida. Peixes e caça eram abundantes e um suprimento podia ser obtido quase a qualquer momento dos índios em troca de algumas espigas de milho. O comércio com os índios tornou-se muito importante para os Horns, e muitas vezes, quando o Sr. Horn estava fora do trabalho, sua esposa se assustava ao encontrar um selvagem na casa, o rosto pintado e armado, discutindo em sua língua nativa. Por cima do ombro, ele teria um peru selvagem ou um colar de peixe. Segurando o número de dedos, ele indicava quantas espigas de milho queria em troca de seu prêmio. Aqui em sua fazenda perto do rio Conecuh, os chifres permaneceram até a morte em idade avançada.

Outro pioneiro do condado que se estabeleceu na parte oeste do condado perto da divisa do condado de Butler foi Joseph Ellington. O Sr. Ellington se estabeleceu nesta região quando os únicos outros habitantes eram índios, ursos negros, lobos e animais selvagens. Ele melhorou uma fazenda aqui e exerceu sua principal ocupação como fazendeiro. O Sr. Ellington também negociou bastante com os índios em sua vizinhança.

Após o assentamento de Joseph Ellington na parte oeste do condado, John Bradley se estabeleceu perto do local atual da agência dos correios de Bradyleton em 1828. Aqui ele melhorou uma fazenda e se dedicou ao plantio. John Bradley e seus descendentes desempenharam um papel muito importante no desenvolvimento desta seção do condado.

Também vindo para a área de Bradleyton e Helicon em 1828 estava Leon Thrower, que melhorou uma fazenda adjacente à fazenda de Bradley. O Sr. Thrower é o pai do Dr. Stephen S. Thrower, que nasceu e foi criado na fazenda de seu pai, e mais tarde se tornou um dos homens mais conhecidos na profissão médica no condado de Crenshaw.

Após o assentamento Bradyleton veio o assentamento da comunidade Leon pelos Merrills. No inverno de 1829-30, Jacob Merrill limpou e melhorou uma fazenda perto desta comunidade. Mais ou menos na mesma época, seu irmão, William Merrill, veio para a comunidade e aqui no deserto perto do rio Patsaliga, os irmãos cultivaram vastas fazendas. Os índios eram numerosos em sua área na época de seu assentamento, e os irmãos, sendo amigos deles, engajaram-se no comércio indígena como uma linha secundária de suas ocupações como plantadores.

Após esses primeiros assentamentos no condado durante a década de 1820-30, os colonos continuaram a inundar as áreas até que em 1870 a população do condado era de 8.950 brancos e 2.206 negros, dando uma população total de mais de 11.000.

Algumas das outras famílias que vieram para o condado nas primeiras datas após 1830 foram Finleys, Hawkins, Rhoutons, Baxters, Moodys, Brunsons, Benbows, Fonvilles, Knights, Walkers, Moxleys, Morgans, Pendreys, Lowmans e Rutledges.

A todas as famílias que mencionei e às outras que tenho certeza de não ter descoberto o crédito pelo pioneirismo e desenvolvimento do que hoje é o condado de Crenshaw.

CAPÍTULO 3
Escravidão e Guerra Civil

A escravidão no condado de Crenshaw não floresceu como nos condados da faixa-preta e outras seções do estado. Havia alguns escravos e proprietários de escravos no condado, especialmente na parte centro e norte do condado, mas na porção sul muito poucos escravos foram encontrados. O maior número de escravos foi encontrado naquela seção do condado conhecida naquela época como o distrito de Rocky Mount do Condado de Lowndes.

O maior número de escravos pertencentes a qualquer família no condado em 1850 era de 35 pertencentes a uma família Webb no extremo norte do condado. Uma família Tanner também desta seção do condado em 1850 possuía vinte e um escravos, e a família Saulter, perto de Luverne, possuía vinte escravos durante o mesmo ano.

Outras famílias escravas do condado eram os Perdues, Rhoutons, Summerlands, Jordans, Stringers, Codys, Daniels e os Ellington.

Lance Kendrick, um escravo de uma família Kendrick, ainda vive e atualmente está residindo perto de Brantley. Acredita-se que Lance, que adotou o nome de senhor de seu proprietário de escravos, tenha cerca de 115 anos de idade e ainda é capaz de fazer alguns relatos vívidos de seus dias como escravo.
Como havia tão poucos proprietários de escravos no condado, muitos de seus residentes eram contra a secessão, mas quando seu estado se separou da união, eles foram leais a ela e apoiaram a causa da Confederação. (* Lance Kendrick morreu depois que este artigo foi escrito.)

Com a convocação de voluntários pelo presidente Jefferson Davis dos Estados Confederados da América, os homens do condado de Crenshaw responderam em grande quantidade. Quase todos os nomes de família do condado estavam representados no exército confederado.

Os parágrafos a seguir são compostos de esboços biográficos de soldados do condado de Crenshaw que serviram valentemente no exército da Confederação, muitos deles dando suas vidas por uma causa que consideravam justa.

JOHN D. B (?) AILY serviu na Companhia B da 14ª Infantaria do Alabama na Virgínia sob o comando de Lee & # 39s. Ele foi ferido duas vezes em Fredericksburg e novamente em Gettysburg. Ele estava com Lee em Appomattox quando se rendeu a Grant.

BENJAMIN R. BRICKEN teve seu primeiro gostinho da guerra ainda muito jovem, servindo em uma empresa organizada na Virgínia para enfrentar os invasores de Dahlgren. Sendo muito jovem para se alistar no exército regular, o jovem Ben fugiu de casa e se alistou sem o consentimento de seu pai na 46ª Infantaria do Alabama sob o comando do General Pettus. Ele lutou em Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, em todo o estado da Geórgia, e estava nas trincheiras em Atlanta. Depois de Atlanta, ele esteve com o General Hood no Norte do Alabama e na Geórgia. Ele recebeu alta pouco antes do fim da guerra, quando seu pai descobriu seu paradeiro e pediu que o mandassem para casa.

DR. WILLIAM T. BURGAMY ingressou na Companhia B da 13ª Infantaria do Alabama e serviu por cerca de oito meses no exército da Virgínia. Mais tarde, ele serviu como tenente na Legião de Hilliard por um curto período e foi dispensado por causa de problemas de saúde. Em 1864, ele reentrou no exército e serviu no norte do Alabama até o fim da guerra.

FRANCIS CODY juntou-se à Hilliard & # 39s Legion em maio de 1862 e estava no Kentucky Raid quando perdeu a saúde e recebeu alta em 1863 em Knoxville. Ele permaneceu em casa por alguns meses e então se alistou novamente no Calvário do Amor, mas foi novamente dispensado por causa de problemas de saúde. Depois disso, ele novamente tentou se alistar na 17ª Infantaria do Alabama, mas foi recusado por causa de sua saúde. Francis Cody tinha quatro irmãos para servir na guerra um, George W. da Companhia C, 59ª Infantaria do Alabama, morreu em Knoxville alguns meses depois de entrar em serviço em outro, Martin McComb serviu no Comando da Carolina do Sul enquanto Colombus Jefferson serviu como tenente na 17ª Infantaria do Alabama e Jackson Van Buren serviram na mesma unidade de maio de 1861 até o fim da guerra em 1865. Um cunhado de Francis Cody, William P. Harbin, prestou serviço na 59ª Infantaria do Alabama para muitos meses durante a guerra.

THOMAS F. DANIEL serviu nas tropas estaduais durante a Guerra Civil e operou nas áreas de Pensacola e da Costa do Golfo. Ele tinha dois irmãos, Elisha J., que serviu durante a guerra, e Moses F., que foi morto na batalha de Bluff de Drewry.

RANSOM L. DAVIS serviu na Companhia A, 17ª Infantaria do Alabama como soldado particular. Ele começou a operar na área de Pensacola, mas mais tarde mudou-se para o Tennessee, onde participou da Batalha de Shiloh. Ele foi capturado em Shiloh, mas mais tarde foi libertado por meio de um prisioneiro de guerra e retornou ao seu comando, que então estava na área de Mobile. Mais tarde, ele lutou nos exércitos de Johnston e Hood & # 39s na Geórgia e estava na batalha em Atlanta. Saindo de Atlanta, ele lutou com o General Hood no Tennessee e foi novamente capturado em Nashville. Ele permaneceu prisioneiro de guerra até o fim da guerra. Ransom tinha dois irmãos para servir no Exército Confederado. Um, Thomas, deu sua vida no caminho, e o outro, James travou vários confrontos com o exército do Tennessee.

DR. EDWARD P. DYER estava na Companhia E, 56ª Infantaria do Alabama, mas foi atirado do cavalo no início da guerra, sofrendo ferimentos que resultaram em dispensa do serviço.

J. M. ELLINGTON serviu na Empresa K, 17ª Infantaria do Alabama por dois anos em Mobile. Mais tarde, ele foi removido para o Tennessee e lutou sob o comando de Johnston e Hood em Atlanta.

JOHN C. FONVILLE serviu no início da guerra como primeiro sargento da Companhia B, 14ª Infantaria do Alabama. Ele se alistou nesta unidade em 1861 em Auburn e recebeu alta em outubro do mesmo ano. Mais tarde, ele se realistou e serviu na Brigada Ferguson & # 39s no Tennessee e no Norte do Alabama. Ele estava na batalha de Atlanta e mais tarde com a escolta do calvário dos presidentes Davis e # 39 que se rendeu junto com o presidente em Washington, Geórgia. O irmão de John, Frederick Gibson, um tenente e ajudante de sua unidade, serviu na Companhia B da 14ª Infantaria do Alabama e foi morto em uma explosão em Petersburgo. Outro irmão, Dr. James B. estava na 17ª Infantaria do Alabama e foi capturado em Atlanta. Ele permaneceu prisioneiro de guerra até depois do fim da guerra em 1865.

NOAH J. GANEY serviu na Companhia E 56º Calvário de Infantaria do Alabama. Ele lutou em vários confrontos no Mississippi e esteve envolvido em várias escaramuças contra o exército de Sherman em seu avanço de Vicksburg para Chattanooga. Ele estava sob o comando do general Joseph Wheeler na Geórgia e nas Carolinas e lutou várias escaramuças com esta unidade do calvário. No final da guerra, o Sr. Ganey estava com a escolta do calvário do Presidente Davis quando ele veio para o sul de Richmond. Quando o fundo do tesouro da Confederação foi dividido pelo presidente Davis na Geórgia, ele recebeu por seus serviços uma moeda de ouro de 20 dólares e cinco dólares de prata mexicanos.

JOHN W. HOLLOWAY serviu na Companhia E, 32ª Infantaria do Tennessee. Ele estava no comando do General Bragg & # 39s no Tennessee e foi ferido na Batalha de Chickamauga.

OLIVER W. HORN, um residente vitalício do condado de Crenshaw alistou-se na Companhia E, 56º Regimento de Infantaria, C.S.A. 1861, e serviu até a rendição de Lee & # 39s. Ele era um dos oito irmãos em serviço no Exército Confederado, todos filhos de Richard W. Horn, de New Providence.

MELVIN JETER alistou-se na John C. Brannan & # 39s Alabama, companhia de escuteiros independentes. Ele serviu nesta categoria até 1864, quando foi destacado como um batedor especial servindo tanto sob o comando do General Maury quanto do General Forest. Quando a guerra terminou, o Sr. Jeter estava encarregado de uma caravana que entregou em Campbellton, Flórida.

DR. J.E. KENDRICK não participou de nenhum confronto com o inimigo durante a guerra. Ele foi cadete na Universidade do Alabama por dois anos durante este período, por indicação do governador Watts.

LAWRENCE S. KNIGHT alistou-se aos quinze anos na Companhia K, 17º. Infantaria do Alabama. Ele lutou na batalha em Shiloh e continuou lutando com o exército de Johnston de Resasa descendo a montanha Kenesaw, onde foi ferido e perdeu o braço esquerdo, encerrando assim sua carreira militar. Lawrence tinha dois irmãos para servir no Exército Confederado na Legião de Hilliard & # 39s. Um, Charles P., que foi ferido uma vez e lutou em vários confrontos durante a guerra, e o outro, Franklin, que foi morto em Appomattox na manhã da rendição de Lee.

JOHN F. LOWMAN serviu na Companhia C, 37ª Infantaria do Alabama com a patente de Sargento. Ele participou das batalhas de Corinto e Shiloh, do cerco de Vicksburg, da batalha da Montanha Lookout e da Batalha de Missionary Ridge e da batalha de Atlanta. No Cerco de Vicksburg o Sr. Lowman foi feito prisioneiro, mas mais tarde foi libertado em uma troca de prisioneiros de guerra e, imediatamente voltou ao seu comando. Ele estava com o general J. E. Johnston quando entregou seu exército em Greensboro, Carolina do Norte.

FREDRICK C. MCDONALD serviu na Companhia C, 29ª Infantaria do Alabama no Tennessee e Geórgia. Ele foi feito prisioneiro em Nashville e permaneceu nessa posição até depois do fim da guerra em 1865.

THOMAS L. MERRILL serviu na Companhia C, 37ª Infantaria do Alabama no Cerco de Vicksburg e, mais tarde, em Lookout Mountain e Missionary Ridge. Ele estava com Johnston e Hood na Geórgia, e se rendeu com Johnston na Carolina do Norte. Ele tinha dois irmãos, Green B. e Henry, que serviram no Exército Confederado. Green B. serviu na 37ª Infantaria do Alabama durante a guerra e Henry, um tenente da Companhia C da 37ª Infantaria do Alabama, morreu em Columbus, Mississippi, em 1862.

WILLIAM J. MERRILL serviu na Empresa F, 1º Calvário do Alabama na Carolina do Sul. Ele tinha um irmão, James T., que servia na mesma unidade e uma vez foi ferido e outro irmão, Jacob P., também ferido, era um soldado particular na 37ª Infantaria do Alabama.

DR. DANIEL N. MOXLEY serviu como capitão e oficial comandante da Companhia B, 25ª Infantaria do Alabama. Ele lutou tanto na batalha em Siló quanto em Corinto. Pouco depois dessas batalhas, ele foi dispensado por causa de problemas de saúde.

JAMES P. PENDREY serviu na Empresa A, 6º Calvário do Alabama. Ele lutou com Hood em todos os seus compromissos no Tennessee, e estava com o General Forest quando ele se rendeu em Meridan.

DR. THOMAS L. QUILLIAN serviu na Companhia I, 1º Calvário do Alabama por um curto período, e foi então transferido para a Companhia H, 59º I Infantaria do Alabama. Ele lutou em Chicamauga, Knoxville, e mais tarde com o General Longstreet & # 39s corpo de exército na Virgínia. Ele foi capturado três dias antes da rendição de Lee e, mais tarde, libertado. Seu irmão, Dudey A. Rutledge, era sargento da 59ª Infantaria do Alabama. Ele lutou na Batalha de Chickamauga, Dewry & # 39s Bluff e em Petersburgo. Dudley foi ferido em Dewrys Bluff e envelheceu em Hatchet Run. No final da guerra, ele foi confinado a um hospital em Richmond.

GEORGE A. SANDERS served in Company I, 46 th Alabama Infantry fighting in Mississippi against Grant and Sherman and later with Hood in Tennessee. He became seriously ill while near the close of the war he returned to his home.

JOSEPH A. SIKES joined the Confederate Army at the age of sixteen. He was in several engagements in Tennessee and was later in Mobile area. His brother, Captain John H. Sikes, commanding officer of a company in a Florida regiment, was killed in Virginia in 1863.

DR. STEPHEN S. THOROWER, along with five brothers served in the army of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Dr. Thorower was a sergeant in the 14th Artillery of Hilliard's Legion. He was in the East Tennessee until after the Battle of Chickamauga, and then went to Virginia where he was wounded and taken prisoner of Petersburg on April 3, 1865. One brother James, served in the 14th Alabama Infantry and died at Richmond in 1862. Another brother, Benjamin F., one of the 1st brothers of Dr. Thorower were all killed at Shiloh. The other three, William M., who served in Hilliard's Legion, was captured at Richmond in 1864. Startling J., a sergeant in Hilliard's Legion, was captured at Hatcher's Run, and George W., who served in the 59th Alabama Infantry, was also captured at Hatchet's Run.

WILLIAM C. WALKER served in the 1st Alabama Artillery and a was captured at Fort Morgan where he died while still a prisoner of war. One brother, William H., served in the Army of Virginia while another, F.L., served in the State Troops at Pensacola for a short time.

JOHN C. WHITE was a sergeant in Company C, 46th Alabama Infantry. He was in numerous skirmishes in Tennessee and Mississippi and was captured at Vicksburg. He was released in a prisoner of war exchange, and later fought at Missionary, Ridge and numerous other engagements from Dalton to Atlanta. He was with General Johnston when he surrendered his army at Greensboro, North Carolina.

There were no major battles or small skirmishes fought in Crenshaw County during the Civil War although Union troops did pass through that portion of the county near the present site of Honoraville. However, they did not do any damage side from raiding pantries and smoke houses.

One incident of Federal troops passing through this part of the county was related by Mr. (sic) JN. Pollard, grand-daughter of William Rhouton. It was told to her by her older relatives that Union soldiers passed through this particular area and visited the home of her grandfather, raiding his smokehouse and carrying off all of the cured meat except that portion which they were fortunate enough to hide before the arrival of the Federals.
Aside from this small filtration of the county by the Union soldiers there were no other incidents of them entering the county during the war. The residents of Crenshaw county were fortunate in not losing their property although many of their sons gave their lives for the Confederate States of America.

CHAPTER 4
EARLY TRANSPORTATION, EDUCATION, ECONOMY, AND COMMUNICATION

Transportation in Crenshaw County in those years prior to the formation of the county was restricted to foot horseback, horse and buggy, and mule and wagon. There were a few roads in the county which led to the nearest villages where necessities were to be obtained. All in all, however, transportation was very crude in the county until after the Civil War.

In the years prior to 1860 there had been two railroads surveyed through the county. One, the Mobile and Girard was not constructed, however, until several years after the Civil war, and construction of the other, the Vicksburg and Brunswick was never attempted.

It was not until 1887 that the first shipment by rail was made in the county. This shipment of forty bales of cotton was made by W. E. Bradley over the Alabama-Midland Railroad which was completed in 1888. This railroad came from Montgomery via Sprague Junction terminating at Luverne. Stations which were founded on this track in the county were Lapine, Bradleton, Petrey, and Patsburg. A short time after completion of the track to Luverne another track was laid connecting Rutledge with this railroad at Julian junction just north of Luverne. A few years later the Mobile and Girard Railroad was completed through the county. The stations of the county along this track are Glenwood, Brantley, Dozier, and Searight. Aside from these miles of track there have been no other railroads in the county.

As I have mentioned in a previous chapter the two earliest roads of any kind in the county were the Three Notch Trail and The Merriweather Trail, but after the creation of the county, and with the growth of villages and communities, railroads were cut in the county and many roads were cleared. Evolving from these early roads and railroads grew a useful if not commendable transportation network within the county.

The citizens of Crenshaw county have, since the earliest settlers, sensed the need for education. In the years following 1840 the typical one room school house was found in almost every settlement. Some of the elder schools in the county were founded at Leon, New Providence, Rutledge, Honoraville, Sal Soda, Cook's Stand, and Helican.

Probably the first secondary school in the county was the Helicon Academy founded around the middle of the nineteenth century. The high school at Searight following the Civil war was probably the first high school in the county to offer classes in grades one through twelve. This school was later moved to Dozier. Other early high schools were the Vernledge High School, the Rutledge High School, the Union Springs District High School at Luverne and the Luverne Free School.

During the latter half of the nineteenth(?) century the county boasted the only college ever to exist in the county. The school which became in its later years the Highland Home College was an outgrowth of the old Barns School founded at Strata in 1856. Because of the unhealthy climate the school was moved to Highland Home in l881 and reestablished under the name, Highland Home Institute. It had its first session on the first Monday of November 1881 with about 70 pupils enrolled . Prof. J.M. Barnes was the President, Prof. Samuel Jordan, Principal, and Col. M. L. Kirkpatrick was in charge of the Preparatory Department. The building was a 50 x 100 foot wood frame building and the campus consisted of 8 acres. Highland Home Institute was later chartered the Highland Home College in 1889 and remained so until it closed its doors in 1916 after providing the residents of Crenshaw County for many years a place for higher education.

The economy of the county prior to the later portion of the nineteenth century was almost wholly dependent on farming. All the early settlers of the county were planters and this remained their chief occupation although a few of them did attempt to do a merchantile business on the side. A few engaged in sawmilling, a few others in grist milling, and a very few in ginning, but not until after the civil war were any of these expanded to any degree.

Most of the merchandise bought by early inhabitants of the county was purchased from either Troy, Greenville, or Montgomery. It was not uncommon for people of a community to make trips often taking two to four days to one of these villages on a mule and wagon.

Among the first merchants in the county were William Merrill who engaged in merchandising for a number of years at Leon and James Johnson who was the first merchant at Rutledge.

Printing in the county did not come until those years between the close of the Civil War and the end of the nineteenth century. Five newspapers were published in the county in the decade 1890-1900. Of those were the Searight Beacon published at Searight, the Rutledge Wave and the Gleaner, edited and published by Mathew Tucker in Rutledge and the Luverne Enterprise and The People's Advocate also edited and published by Mathew Tucker in Luverne. There was a quarterly magazine published about this same time, but the name of the publication is not available.

Other newspapers published at one time or the other in the county were The Brantley Reporter, Crenshaw County News, Crenshaw County Critic, Crenshaw County Banner, The Luverne Democrat, The Bugle, and The Luverne Journal.

From these early beginnings in the different fields of economic factors Crenshaw County has continued to grow and progress in hopes of building a better future.

Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney

Population: White, 9,500 colored, 2,000. Area, 660 Square miles. Woodland, all. Long-leaf pine upland, 435 square miles oak and hickory uplands, 125 square miles hill, prairie and lime lands, 100 square miles.

Acres - In cotton (approximately), 27,000 in corn, 28,099 in oats, 5,208 in tobacco, 33 in rice, 25: in sugar-cane, 294 in sweet potatoes, 558.

Approximate number of bales of cotton, 8,500.

County Seat - Rutledge population, 300.

Newspaper published at County Seat - Enterprise, Democratic.

Postoffices in the County - Aiken, Argus, Best, Bradleyton, Bullock, Cook's Stand, Helicon, Honoraville. Host, Johnson, Leon, Live Oak, Mount Ida, New Providence, Norwood, Peacock, Rutridge, Sal-Soda, Saville, Vidette.

This county was formed in 1865, and named for Hon. Anderson Crenshaw. It lies in that section of the State toward which much attention is now being turned, because of its varied resources and growing industries. Debarred the enjoyment of railroad privileges, there has not been that spirit of enterprise and energy which is warranted by the varied resources of Crenshaw.

In this county, as in all others in this region, lands may be had at very moderate figures. Over-spread with forests of splendid timber, both of pine and oak, they are destined to be quite valuable, and yet may be bought in some sections for $1 per acre, in others for $2.50, and in others still, for $5.

There are 24,500 acres of land belonging to the general Government in Crenshaw.

Vast tracks of land may be purchased at nominal prices, and the people would welcome immigrants of thrifty habits.

WATER MILLS OF CRENSHAW COUNTY IN 1886

Source: Bulletin, Geological Survey of Alabama, by Truman H. Aldrich, 1886 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney

The following is a list of the water powers that are utilized. The most of these powers are small, but they make a large aggregate, and they represent only an insignificant part of the power that is capable of development.


Linha do tempo

The University of the State of Alabama

In 1818, the federal government authorized Alabama Territory to set aside a township for the establishment of a "seminary of learning." President Monroe signed the enabling act for statehood on March 2, 1819 and Alabama was officially admitted to the Union on Dec. 14, 1819, and a second township added to the grant. On December 18, 1820, the seminary was established officially and named "The University of the State of Alabama."

The University Finds a Home

Tuscaloosa, then the state's capital, chosen as the University's home.

UA Opens

Inaugural ceremonies for the University were held on April 12, 1831. The first students were enrolled on April 18, 1831. By May 28, 52 students had enrolled. The campus consisted of seven buildings: two faculty houses, two dormitories, the laboratory, the hotel (now Gorgas House), and the Rotunda.

Engineering at UA

The University of Alabama becomes the first in the state to offer engineering classes. It was one of the first five in the nation to do so and one of the few to have maintained accreditation continuously since national accreditation began in 1936.

President's Mansion

President's Mansion completed. Its first occupant: Basil Manly, University president from 1837 to 1855.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 63

Phi Beta Kappa

Alabama Alpha chapter of Phi Beta Kappa established.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 126

Medical College

Medical College branch of the University opened in Mobile.

UA Becomes Military School

The University of Alabama became a military school — martial departmental and disciplinary systems established.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 154

UA Burned by Union Troops

Union troops spared only seven of the buildings on the UA campus. Of the principal buildings remaining today, the President's Mansion and its outbuildings still serve as the president's on-campus residence. The other buildings have new uses. Gorgas House, at different times the dining hall, faculty residence, and campus hotel, now serves as a museum. The Roundhouse, then a sentry box for cadets, later a place for records storage, is a campus historical landmark. The Observatory, now Maxwell Hall, is home to the Computer-Based Honors Program.

Enrollment

The Medical College reopens in Mobile.

UA Reopens

During the Reconstruction era, a reorganized University opened to students.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 107

UA Law School

The School of Law established.

Civil Engineering

Antecedents of the UA College of Engineering were established with the offering of a formal, two-year course of study in civil engineering under the aegis of applied mathematics in 1837. The College of Engineering was established in 1909 with the opening of B. B. Comer Hall.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 154

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 167

First Football Team

The University's first football team assembled — the "Thin Red Line" that later became the "Crimson Tide."

First Female Students

The first women students enrolled for the fall semester at the University. This was due in large part to the successful lobbying of the UA board of trustees by Julia S. Tutwiler. Tutwiler, then president of the Livingston Normal College for Girls, was a lifelong advocate of the right of women to be self-supporting members of society.

The Crimson White

The student newspaper, the Crimson White, makes its first appearance.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 396

Military System Abandoned

In March, the Alabama Legislature decreed that, after thirty years of student protest, the military system of organization at the University be abandoned.

Summer School

A summer school for teachers begun in response to a need for better public education in Alabama, becoming the School of Education in 1909. The College of Education was established in 1929.

Greater University Fund

At the University's diamond jubilee celebration, President John William Abercrombie presented to the board of trustees his plans for the Greater University fund-raising campaign, thus ensuring that the state legislature would no longer be the primary source for financing the University's growth.

College of Engineering and School of Education

To meet the demands for specific training in two professions, the College of Engineering and the School of Education were established. Formerly part of the liberal arts disciplines, these new offspring would function independently of the now-reorganized College of Arts and Sciences.

Alabama Museum of Natural History

The Alabama Museum of Natural History in Smith Hall dedicated. Smith Hall served as a geological museum for the University's growing collections and still houses the Museum today.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 571

Dr. George Denny

Dr. George Denny became University president the campus consisted of 652 students and nine principal buildings. His presidency began an era of unprecedented physical and enrollment growth. When he retired in 1936, there were more than 5,000 students and 23 major buildings, which form the central core of the modern campus.

University Band

University band organized.

School of Commerce

The School of Commerce founded. It became the College of Commerce and Business Administration in 1929. It was renamed the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration in 1997.

Medical College Moves

The Medical College moved from Mobile to Tuscaloosa.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 2134

Pós-graduação

The Graduate School officially established.

Denny Chimes

Denny Chimes dedicated. Named for Dr. George H. Denny, president of the University from 1912 to 1936.

School of Home Economics

The School of Home Economics officially established. It became the College of Human Environmental Sciences in 1987.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 4,639

Moundville

Moundville Archaeological Park and its museum opened to the public.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 4,921

Medical College Moves to Birmingham

The Medical College moved from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham.

University Press

The University Press was formed.

Doctoral Programs

Introduction of doctoral programs authorized first doctorates awarded in 1952.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 5,269

Autherine J. Lucy

UA's first African-American student, Autherine J. Lucy, was admitted. She was expelled three days later "for her own safety" in response to threats from a mob. In 1992 Autherine Lucy Foster graduated from the University with a master's degree in education. The same day, her daughter, Grazia Foster, graduated with a bachelor's degree in corporate finance.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 8,257

Vivian Malone and James Hood

The first sustained enrollment of African-American students at UA — Vivian J. Malone and James A. Hood — was achieved. Vivian Malone graduated in 1965. James Hood returned to campus in 1995 and received a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary studies in 1997.

School of Social Work

The School of Social Work established.

Computer-Based Honors Program

The Computer-Based Honors Program, in which undergraduate students apply computer technology to research in a wide range of fields, was established.

Graduate School of Library Service Established

The Graduate School of Library Service established by act of the Alabama Legislature. It became the School of Library and Information Studies in 1989. The School merged with the College of Communication in 1997 to become the College of Communication and Information Sciences.

New College

New College established to allow students to pursue individualized courses of study while maintaining the academic standards of the University.

College of Community Health Sciences

The College of Community Health Sciences established.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 13.055

School of Communication

The School of Communication established. It became the College of Communication in 1988, and when it merged with the School of Information Sciences, was renamed the College of Communication and Information Sciences in 1997.

College of Nursing

The Capstone College of Nursing established.

Sesquicentennial

The University celebrates its sesquicentennial.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 16,388

College of Continuing Studies

The College of Continuing Studies established to provide "learning opportunities that transcend the barriers of distance, time, and accessibility &hellip (and) education in the technology-based formats that non-traditional learners need, offering courses by satellite, videotape, and the Internet." Its roots reach back to the Summer School for teachers in 1904, becoming the Extension Division in 1919. In the 1970s it was called Extended Services, then the Division of Continuing Education.

M.F.A Program in Book Arts

The M.F.A. Program in Book Arts, with specializations in printing and binding, is established within the School of Library and Information Studies. It is one of only three in the country to offer such an M.F.A. and the only one do so within the context of a library school.

Honors Program

University Honors Program established.

AMELIA

The University's computerized library card catalog, AMELIA, available for use.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 19,366

RISE Program

The Stallings Center opened as the new home of the RISE Program.

Blount Undergraduate Initiative

Blount Undergraduate Initiative established. (First freshman class accepted in 1999.)

Second Capital Campaign

Second Capital Campaign concluded having raised a total amount $224 million in gifts and pledges.

International Honors Program

International Honors Program established.

Rise of Dallas

Modeled on UA's RISE Program, the RISE School of Dallas, Texas, opened.

Bryant-Denny Renovations

Renovation of Bryant-Denny Stadium completed, increasing capacity to 82,000.

Student Services Center

Student Services Center completed.

Sewell-Thomas Field

Renovation of Sewell-Thomas Baseball Field to a capacity of 6,000 seats begun.

First Freshman Class in Blount Undergraduate Initiative

First freshman class accepted in Blount Undergraduate Initiative. Parker Adams Hall serves as its temporary headquarters.

UA's 15th Rhodes Scholar

English major Bradley Tuggle from Decatur, Ala., named UA's 15th Rhodes Scholar.

Oliver-Barnard Hall Dedication

Historic Barnard Hall rededicated as Oliver-Barnard Hall, the first of two Blount Undergraduate Initiative academic houses.

UA Softball Complex

Construction of 1,500-seat UA Softball Complex completed.

Blount Living-Center Opens

Blount Living-Learning Center opens to its first resident class.

Construction of Alabama Institute for Manufacturing Excellence (AIME) completed.

Morgan Auditorium Reopens

Morgan Auditorium reopens after $1 million renovation, the first since its construction in 1911.

UA Alumnus Pilots Shuttle

UA alumnus Lieutenant Colonel Jim Kelly pilots a Discovery space shuttle mission.

Top Rankings for UA School of Law

For the third consecutive year, the UA School of Law ranked among the best in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.

Alabama-Auburn Alliance

UA and Auburn University form the "Alabama-Auburn Alliance" to support fair funding of higher education.

Tide Navigator

Tide Navigator, a web-based registration system that is the first of its kind in the United States, debuts with incoming freshmen.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 19,633

UA Alumni Association establishes FATE: Future Alumni for Tradition and Excellence.

Crimson Tradition Fund

Crimson Tradition Fund established with $10 million gift by Paul Bryant Jr.

UA in Top Fifty

UA named one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2003.

First Honors Student of the Year

UA student Kana Ellis of Northport, Ala., selected as as the first recipient of the Honors Student of the Year Award by the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC)

College of Community Health Sciences Breaks Ground

College of Community Health Sciences breaks ground for its $12.6 million facility, designed to consolidate all services and operations of the Tuscaloosa medical campus.

Math Technology Learning Center

Greensboro East High School, in collaboration with UA, became the first high school in Alabama to establish a state-of-the-art Math Technology Learning Center.

Five UA Students Named to the All-USA College Academic Team

Five students from UA named to the 2003 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team. UA students garnered the most awards of any college or university, claiming five of 83 spots on the list.

Opening Doors

UA recognized 40 "pioneers" during three days of events to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Gov. George C. Wallace's "stand in the schoolhouse door."

UA Named named in Top 50

UA named one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2004.

UA Student Selected as Portz Scholar

UA senior Rob Davis selected as one of three 2003 Portz Scholars in the National Collegiate Honors Council's competition for outstanding undergraduate Honors papers.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 20,333

Four UA Students Named to the All-USA College Academic Team

Four UA students named to the 2004 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team. UA came in second only to Harvard for 2004, and UA's two-year total of nine leads the nation.

University Medical Center

University Medical Center, UA's new multi-specialty clinic and home of the College of Community Health Sciences, opened on May 11.

Shelby Hall Dedication

Shelby Hall, UA's new 200,000-plus square foot interdisciplinary transportation and science complex, dedicated on May 14.

UA Named named in Top 50

UA named one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2005.

Enrollment

Five UA students Named to All-USA College Academic Team

Five UA students named to the 2005 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team, the most of any school in the nation. UA's three-year total of 14 also tops all other colleges and universities.

Paul R. Jones Collection

Renowned art collector Paul R. Jones donated a $4.8 million art collection to UA. The 1,700-piece collection includes one of the largest and most comprehensive collections of 20th century African American art in the world.

UA Alerts

To improve crisis communications and enhance safety of the UA community, a new technological resource, UA Alerts, was installed. The system simultaneously sends alerts to cell phones, home and office phones, and emails and texts.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 28,807 total enrollment, an increase of 6.5 percent over 2008. Enrollment at UA increased 47 percent over 2002.

Bryce Hospital Agreement

UA reached an agreement with the state Mental Health Commission to purchase the Bryce Hospital property.

Grant Activity up 18 Percent

The University’s contract and grant activity increased 18 percent from the previous year, totaling $76 million—a significant step in furthering UA’s commitment to advancing its position as one of the premier research universities in the nation.

The Alabama Museum of Natural History Centennial

The Alabama Museum of Natural History in Smith Hall celebrated its centennial.

Undergraduate Welcome Center

Undergraduate Admissions opened a welcome center located on the Bryant Drive side of Bryant-Denny Stadium, under the south end zone.

Tornado Hits Tuscaloosa

On April 27 a tornado ravaged parts of Tuscaloosa but missed the campus. Graduation was cancelled and the semester ended early.

UA Ranked in Top 50 Again

UA was again ranked among the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.

Robert Witt Named New Chancellor

UA President Robert E. Witt was named chancellor of the University of Alabama system Provost Judy Bonner became interim president.

Dr. Guy Bailey Becomes UA President

Dr. Guy Bailey accepted the presidency, but resigned the same year due to his wife’s illness.

First Female President

Dr. Judy Bonner became the first woman president of the Capstone.

Through the Doors

Through the Doors, a year-long commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the desegregation of the Capstone, engaged all areas of the University.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 34,852, a record for total enrollment 6,478 in the entering freshmen class, the largest in UA history.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment tops 36,000.

The Cyber Institute

The Cyber Institute, which facilitates interdisciplinary research and educational programs related to cyber security and cyber-related technologies, was founded.

UA Smoke-Free

UA became a smoke-free campus.

Bryce Renovation Begins

Renovation and expansion began on the main buildings of the Peter Bryce campus.

29th President Named

Dr. Stuart Bell became the 29th president of the Capstone.

National Champions

The Crimson Tide defeated Clemson 45-40 to win its 16th national football championship.

Strategic Plan

The UA Strategic Plan: Advancing the Flagship was announced.

Enrollment

Fall 2016 enrollment reached a record 37,665, with 7,559 freshmen in the most academically talented class to date.

Adapted Athletics Facility

Groundbreaking for construction of first-of-its kind Adapted Athletics Facility.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: Record-breaking 38,563.

Championship

UA earned another national football championship beating Georgia in overtime 26-23.

Doctoral Universities

Very High Research Activity status achieved.

Tuscaloosa Bicentennial Celebration

Collaboration with the city of Tuscaloosa to celebrate its bicentennial, including presenting the city with a statue of Minerva, goddess of wisdom

Fulbright Scholars

Recognized as Top Producing Institution for Fulbright U.S. Student Award for fourth time

Championship

The Crimson Tide defeated Ohio State 52-24 to become national champions.

Part of the University of Alabama System

Alabama State History

Spanish explorers are believed to have arrived at Mobile Bay in 1519, and the territory was visited in 1540 by the explorer Hernando de Soto. The first permanent European settlement in Alabama was founded by the French at Fort Louis de la Mobile in 1702. The British gained control of the area in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris but had to cede almost all the Alabama region to the U.S. and Spain after the American Revolution. The Confederacy was founded at Montgomery in Feb. 1861, and, for a time, the city was the Confederate capital.

During the later 19th century, the economy of the state slowly improved with industrialization. At Tuskegee Institute, founded in 1881 by Booker T. Washington, Dr. George Washington Carver carried out his famous agricultural research.

In the 1950s and '60s, Alabama was the site of such landmark civil-rights actions as the bus boycott in Montgomery (1955-56) and the ??Freedom March?? from Selma to Montgomery (1965).

Today paper, chemicals, rubber and plastics, apparel and textiles, primary metals, and automobile manufacturing constitute the leading industries of Alabama. Continuing as a major manufacturer of coal, iron, and steel, Birmingham is also noted for its world-renowned medical center. The state ranks high in the production of poultry, soybeans, milk, vegetables, livestock, wheat, cattle, cotton, peanuts, fruits, hogs, and corn.

Points of interest include the Helen Keller birthplace at Tuscumbia, the Space and Rocket Center at Huntsville, the White House of the Confederacy, the restored state Capitol, the Civil Rights Memorial, the Rosa Parks Museum & Library, and the Shakespeare Festival Theater Complex in Montgomery the Civil Rights Institute and the McWane Center in Birmingham the Russell Cave near Bridgeport the Bellingrath Gardens at Theodore the USS Alabama at Mobile Mound State Monument near Tuscaloosa and the Gulf Coast area.

Thirty-seven years after the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing which killed four young girls in Birmingham, the FBI released the name of four men??self-proclaimed Cahaba Boys, a branch of the Ku Klux Klan??responsible for the dynamite attack: Robert Chambliss, Herman Cash, Thomas Blanton and Bobby Cherry. Cash died in 1994 Blanton and Cherry were tried and convicted in 2001 and 2002 respectively (Cherry died in prison in 2004). Chambliss, originally charged alone, was acquitted of murder in 1963, but was sentenced to life in prison when the case was reopened in 1977. He died in prison in 1985.

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina caused major flooding and destruction along the coast of Alabama flood waters reached 11 ft in Mobile. Twenty-two counties were declared federal disaster areas.

Famous Alabama Natives and Residents

Hank Aaron baseball player
Ralph Abernathy civil rights activist
Tallulah Bankhead actress
Hugo L. Black jurist
George Washington Carver educator, agricultural chemist
Nat "King"Cole entertainer
Mia Hamm soccer player
Lionel Hampton jazz musician
W. C. Handy composer

Courtney Coxactress
Helen Keller author and educator
Coretta Scott King civil rights leader
Harper Lee writer
Carl Lewis athlete
Joe Louis boxer
Willie Mays baseball player
Jim Nabors actor

Jesse Owens athlete
Rosa Parks civil rights activist
Condoleeza Rice secretário de Estado
Wayne Rogers actor
George Wallace governor
William Weatherford/Red EagleCreek leader
Hank Williams singer and songwriter.


History of Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery, the second largest city in Alabama, lies southeast of Birmingham on Interstate 65, on the banks of the Alabama River. Montgomery is the state capital and has a number of connections with the Civil Rights movement. Between 1817 and 1819, three towns were established close together in Alabama: New Philadelphia, Alabama Town, and East Alabama. In 1819, they were consolidated into Montgomery, named for General Richard Montgomery, who died in the Revolutionary War attempting to capture Quebec. Montgomery gained status as a city in 1837 and was named the state's capital in 1846. In 1861, the convention that created the Confederate States of America was held in Montgomery. The city served as the first capital of the Confederacy, until it was moved to Richmond, Virginia. Montgomery is close to Maxwell Air Force Base, presently the home of Air University. Maxwell AFB is on the site where Wilbur and Orville Wright operated the world's first flight training school in 1910. On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks, a black seamstress, was arrested for not relinquishing her seat to a white bus rider. The reaction to this act of defiance led to the 382-day Montgomery bus boycott that forced the city to desegregate its transit system on December 21, 1956. Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., an American Nobel Laureate, achieved national attention for civil rights issues during his occupancy term as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church. In 1965, he led a four-day, nationally-publicized march for justice from Selma to Montgomery.


Motivo do bloqueio: O acesso de sua área foi temporariamente limitado por razões de segurança.
Tempo: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:28:14 GMT

Sobre Wordfence

Wordfence é um plugin de segurança instalado em mais de 3 milhões de sites WordPress. O proprietário deste site está usando o Wordfence para gerenciar o acesso ao site.

Você também pode ler a documentação para aprender sobre as ferramentas de bloqueio do Wordfence e # 039s ou visitar wordfence.com para saber mais sobre o Wordfence.

Generated by Wordfence at Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:28:14 GMT.
Horário do seu computador:.


Early History of Native Americans in Alabama

The names of the Alabama tribes included:

  • Alabama- The Native word is "Albina" which means to camp. This tribe belonged to the Muskhogean Tribe which was the Southern Division.
  • Abihika- A branch of the Muskgoee & Creek Confederacy
  • Atasi- A sub-tribe of the Muskgoee.
  • Apalachee- This is one of the older lower creek tribes of Alabama. A few later joined the Creeks to he move to Oklahoma.
  • Apalachicola- The early tribe lived on the Chattahoochee River & then moved to the other side to Georgia.
  • Cherokee- Occupied towns such as Turkeytown which runs by the Coosa River in my hometown to towns such as Muscle Shoals, Wills Creek in Willstown, & Tuscumbia & where just about wiped out & removed by 1835.
  • Chatot- A tribe near Mobile.
  • Choctaw- A tribe that shortly occupied the Tombigbee area for hunting grounds.
  • Chickasaw- A tribe that covered the Nortwest part of Alabama.
  • Creek Confederacy- This tribe was built around the Muskogee which where dominant at the time. They also occupied the Coosa River in my hometown at one time.
  • Fus-hatchee- Another branch of the Muskogee tribe.
  • Eufaula- Also, a subtribe of the Muskogee.
  • Hitchiti- A Muskhogean tribe which branched into Georgia.
  • Hilibi- Another subtribe of the Muskogee.
  • Kan-hatki, Kealedji, Kolomi, Koasati, Muskogee, Okchai, Pakana, Wakokai, Wiwohka, where all subtribes branched from the Muskogee tribe which was apparently the most dominant tribe of Alabama. The Tukabahchee tribe was one of the four heads of the Muskogee's.
  • Mobile- This was a subtribe of the Choctaw &/or Chickasaw.
  • Muklasa- Also, a branch of the Choctaw. The word means "friends"
  • Napochi- The nearest connection found was to the Choctaw. They stayed around the Black Warrior River.
  • Natchez- This tribe stayed near the Coosa River as well & later joined the Creeks to Oklahoma.
  • Okmulgee- This was a branch of the Creek tribe.
  • Osochi- It is believed their language was Muskogee but little is known about the meaning of Osochi. The closest relation seems to be with the Chiaha.
  • Pawotki- This tribe came from Florida & later joined the Creek Confederacy.
  • Pilthlako- Also, a branch of the Creeks.
  • Sawokli- This tribe belonged to the Muskhogean tribe.
  • Shawnee- They occupied the Tallapoosa & Sylacauga areas.
  • Taensa- This group came from Louisiana & settled in Mobile.
  • Tohome- This was a division of the Muskogean tribe.
  • Tuskegee- Also, a branch of the Muskogeans.
  • Yuchi- This was an older tribe from around the Muscle Shoals area & it is suggested they probably moved toward the East Tennessee area.
  • Yamasee- This tribe was in the Mobile Bay area & later moved to West Florida area with the Seminoles.

Alabama was populated by many Native American groups when Europeans arrived in the 1500s. These Native Americans were mostly unaffected until the French established a permanent settlement in 1699. Groups of native people can be identified as belonging to one of the historic tribes of Alabama, including the groups who speak Muskogee, and those belonging to the Mississippian chiefdoms. These groups combined to become the Creek Confederacy. In similar fashion, other groups of tribes came together to create the Choctaw, Chickasaw and Cherokee tribes.

Agriculture was practiced by Indians such as the Creeks and Cherokee in the east, and the Choctaws and Chickasaws in the west when Spanish explorers arrived. The first known European contact with what would become Alabama occurred in 1519 when Alonso Alvarez de Pineda sailed in Mobile Bay. Cabeza de Vaca (and possibly Pánfilo de Narvaez) visited Alabama in 1528, and the Spanish did not really explore the area for another two decades, when Hernando de Soto led an expedition into the region about 1540.

In the 1700s many more Europeans moved into the area. Eventually these new residents would clash with various Native American groups, many of whom were organized as the Creek Confederacy.

The first permanent European settlement in Alabama was founded by the French at Fort Louis de la Mobile in 1702. The British gained control of the area in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris, but had to cede almost all the Alabama region to the US and Spain after the American Revolution.

Between 1805 and 1806, the Choctaw tribes (in western Alabama) and the Chickasaw and Cherokee tribes (in northern Alabama) were forced to cede their land to white settlement. The Creek Indians attempted to ally themselves with other tribes from the North in resistance to white settlement, but were ultimately unsuccessful. As a result, most of the native people of Alabama were resettled in the Oklahoma territory.


Assista o vídeo: FILMEI UMA TRETA NO BROOKLYN E CONHECI A VERDADEIRA CASA DO CHRIS TIAGO FONSECA (Dezembro 2021).