Notícia

Miran Fort

Miran Fort

O forte Miran é uma estrutura defensiva em ruínas em Miran, Xinjiang, China. O forte esteve ativo durante o Império Tibetano, nos séculos 8 e 9 DC. A escavação do forte em Miran rendeu centenas de documentos militares dos séculos 8 e 9, que estão entre os primeiros manuscritos tibetanos sobreviventes e fontes vitais para a compreensão da história primitiva do Tibete.

O arqueólogo Aurel Stein foi o primeiro a estudar as ruínas de Miran. Uma escavação experimental do forte revelou oito quartos e mais de cem bosques tibetanos. Stein voltou em 22 de janeiro de 1907, descobrindo 44 quartos e descobrindo muitos mais pedaços de madeira tibetanos, bem como outros objetos diversos. No forte, Stein encontrou documentos tibetanos em madeira e papel, fragmentos com escrita rúnica turca, documentos em folha de palmeira com inscrições de caracteres Brahmi e textos Kharosthi em seda. A maioria dos manuscritos encontrados em Miran são documentos tibetanos oficiais e informações militares do forte, escritos na escrita tibetana antiga em madeira ou papel, datando dos séculos VIII e IX. Estes são alguns dos primeiros exemplos da escrita tibetana.


Miran Fort - História

Arcos e flechas de Miran, China

por Andrew Hall e Jack Farrell

Originalmente publicado no Journal of The Society of Archer-Antiquaries, # 51, 2008, pp. 89-98.

O Museu da Rota da Seda, em Seul, Coreia do Sul, contém dois arcos compostos e nove flechas, supostamente encontrados na antiga cidade de Miran em Xinjiang, China.

Miran fica na Bacia de Tarim, na rota sul da Rota da Seda, em torno do formidável deserto de Taklamakan, em direção ao extremo leste da rota. A cidade é conhecida pelo forte tibetano datado do século 8 ao 9, que foi escavado por Stein em 1906 1. Ele também tem alguns templos e estupas anteriores do século 3 ao 5 com afrescos em estilo indiano.

Mapa 1 - Ásia mostrando as Rota da Seda ao redor da bacia do Tarim, detalhadas no Mapa 2.

Os primeiros documentos escritos sobre os eventos na Bacia do Tarim datam do século 2 aC, quando os chineses da Dinastia Han começaram a expandir sua influência na região. Tudo antes disso, os historiadores chineses consideram pré-histórico 2.

A ocupação da região é muito mais antiga do que isso, com achados de múmias caucasianas datando de aproximadamente 4.000 anos atrás. Um pequeno número de arcos de estilo cita datados de meados do primeiro milênio foram encontrados em túmulos.

Desde o primeiro século aC Miran fazia parte do reino de Shanshan, que governava a extremidade sudeste da bacia do Tarim de sua capital, Yüni, perto de Charkhlik (a oeste de Miran) 3. Shanshan estava nominalmente sob o controle dos chineses, mas esse controle era variável às vezes 4.

No final do segundo século, Shanshan se expandiu para controlar os reinos Qiemo e Jingjue (Niya) a oeste. Isso deu a ela o controle da maior parte da Rota da Seda ao sul, bem como da rota de ligação à estrada do norte. Miran também foi o ponto de entrada da rota para o Tibete.

No segundo século DC, a região caiu sob a influência cultural do reino Kushan, que governou uma área que se estendia do noroeste da Índia e do Paquistão, passando pelo Afeganistão até a extremidade ocidental da Bacia do Tarim. Foi nessa época que Miran se desenvolveu como um centro do Budismo 5.

Durante o 4º C, a viagem ao longo da rota sul da Rota da Seda tornou-se mais perigosa 6 e a cidade de Miran parecia ter sido abandonada quando Shanshan entrou em declínio.

A Bacia de Tarim, no sudeste, incluindo Miran, foi conquistada pelos Tuyuhun em meados do século V. Os Tuyuhun eram um poderoso povo de língua mongólica que floresceu nos séculos 4 a 7, vagando pelas áreas dos modernos Qinghai e Gansu.

Os Tuyuhun foram repetidamente atacados pelos chineses Tang e foram finalmente derrotados pelo império tibetano no século VIII. Os tibetanos passaram a dominar a Ásia Central e invadiram partes da China.

Os tibetanos construíram um forte em Miran como parte de uma rede defensiva para ajudar a controlar a área e defender a passagem nas montanhas próximas ao Tibete e a rota Qinghai da Rota da Seda para a China 7. O forte foi abandonado no final do domínio tibetano no século IX.

Na época da visita de Stein em 1906, apenas um pequeno assentamento agrícola permanecia no local.

A localização de Miran e alguns outros locais de descoberta mencionados abaixo podem ser vistos no Mapa 2.

Mapa 2 - Mapa topográfico da Bacia do Tarim nos séculos II-III mostrando as Rota da Seda, estados e alguns dos locais citados no texto. Nomes de reinos são mostrados em letras maiúsculas, cidades e locais de localização em letras maiúsculas. Reinos dominantes sublinhados e limites aproximados de influência mostrados. Dados do mapa do terreno: "CHGIS, versão 4" Cambridge: Harvard Yenching Institute, janeiro de 2007.

O bom estado dos arcos e os danos semelhantes que sofreram em uma das pontas indicam que provavelmente foram encontrados juntos em um cemitério. Se assim for, isso pode indicar um sepultamento múltiplo de indivíduos aparentados, o que é comum nos sepultamentos reais em Niya 8.

É improvável que as descobertas de Miran tenham sido escavadas profissionalmente, então qualquer datação deve ser tratada como especulativa.

O rótulo na caixa perto dos arcos parece indicar um século 15-14 a.C. data 9, que é provável que esteja errada, visto que esses arcos são derivados dos hunos e essa data antecede o desenvolvimento do arco húngaro em mais de um milênio.

Uma etiqueta maior no gabinete descreve o reino de Shanshan. Não se sabe se há alguma evidência de apoio (por exemplo, outras descobertas datáveis) ligando os laços a este período.

Na aparência geral (que será discutida com mais detalhes posteriormente), os arcos parecem derivados de Hunnic, mas têm algumas diferenças dos achados em Niya e empunhaduras substancialmente diferentes. Um encontro Shanshan é provável, mas não certo 10.

Os dois arcos têm a mesma forma assimétrica, mas diferem em dimensões e construção siyah (ver Figura 1).

Figura 1. O Miran se curva em sua vitrine

O mais pesado dos dois arcos é da ordem de 60 pol. Ao redor das curvas, o outro arco é ligeiramente mais curto devido aos siyahs mais curtos. As dimensões médias dos membros são cerca de 2 x 5/8 pol. Para o arco mais pesado e 1 3/4 x 1/2 pol. Para o mais leve. É provável que o arco pesado tivesse um peso de tração substancialmente maior 11.

Observe que a espessura pode ser maior do que quando construída originalmente devido ao tendão “estufar” à medida que se deteriorava.

Os dois arcos diferem um pouco nos siyahs. O arco leve tem placas laterais siyah em uma forma semelhante às armas Hunnic anteriores, mas com placas laterais feitas de madeira em vez de osso. Este arco mede aproximadamente 1/2 pol. De espessura por 5/16 pol. De largura no entalhe.

As placas laterais provavelmente escorregaram em relação ao núcleo, pois o núcleo não apresenta uma ranhura de entalhe. Não era incomum que as placas laterais se projetassem um pouco além do núcleo nas construções originais, de modo que a ranhura do entalhe fosse cortada apenas nas placas laterais.

O arco pesado não tem placas laterais siyah, mas tem a mesma forma geral com um comprimento siyah de cerca de 23 centímetros (veja a Figura 2).

Ambos os arcos são apoiados com tendões quase até o entalhe, com as ranhuras do entalhe bem próximas às pontas.

Figura 2. Siyahs mais intactos dos dois arcos. (laço pesado na parte inferior da foto).

Ambos os arcos sofreram deterioração em uma extremidade, o arco leve perdendo todos os seus tendões ali, de forma que a construção do núcleo é visível. O núcleo foi dobrado para dar forma, provavelmente usando calor, e duas tiras de madeira foram fixadas lado a lado na parte de trás do núcleo para engrossá-lo e enrijecê-lo (veja a Figura 3 e a Figura 4).

Uma vez que é perceptível a que distância do membro as faixas de reforço se estendem, é provável que uma parte significativa do membro externo não tenha se dobrado.

A construção do siyah do arco mais pesado não é tão visível, pois sobreviveu em melhores condições. Apenas um pedaço de madeira é visível na ponta.

Também notável é a largura do membro na base do siyah, as dimensões sendo cerca de 17/8 x 3/4 pol. Para o arco pesado.

Figura 3. Siyah danificado mostrando a construção do núcleo. (laço pesado no topo da foto).

Figura 4. Outra vista dos siyahs danificados

Ambos os arcos eram reforçados por amarrações em espiral de tendões que alcançavam quase de nock a nock (ver Figura 5 para arco leve). O arco pesado tem uma camada longitudinal adicional de tendões em cima deles (veja a Figura 6), presumivelmente para aumentar o peso de tração algum tempo após a construção inicial.

Ambos os arcos são cobertos por uma membrana fina como papel de cor cinza (não casca).

O arco pesado parece delaminar e é amarrado com barbante na empunhadura. Esta é provavelmente uma adição de museu para evitar uma maior separação das camadas.

Figura 5. Close up da parte traseira danificada do arco de luz mostrando o tendão longitudinal coberto por dois envoltórios espirais de tendão

Figura 6. Outra vista mostrando as amarras em espiral com o arco pesado (atrás) mostrando uma camada extra longitudinal de tendão.

Os punhos são estreitos e bastante curtos (consulte a Figura 7 e a Figura 8). Não há indicação visível de placas de fixação óssea sendo usadas.

Figura 7. Punhos de arco vistos da parte de trás do arco (suspeita-se que o objeto retangular seja uma placa de armadura de escamas de couro)

Figura 8. Outra vista das empunhaduras do arco mostrando mais lateral e também as costas.

As flechas de Miran

Nove eixos de flecha são exibidos com os arcos. Todos tiveram seus pontos removidos. Um é de quatro penas com penas barradas de 3 pol. De comprimento e 3/8 pol. De altura em condições suspeitamente boas. Nenhuma das outras flechas tem penas restantes. Os comprimentos do eixo são estimados em aproximadamente 30 a 32 pol. Todos têm a forma típica com eixos cilíndricos com encaixes bulbosos.

Várias setas têm crista. Uma seta tem tinta azul para 5/8 pol. No entalhe e para 1 1/4 pol. No ponto. Tem cerca de 7/16 pol. De diâmetro no centro, 5/16 na ponta e 5/16 bem na frente do entalhe bulboso. Veja a Figura 9.

Outra seta tem uma faixa de tinta azul bem na frente do entalhe de cerca de 1/2 pol., Uma seção plana de cerca de 2 1/4 pol. E uma faixa vermelha de 1 1/4 pol. Possui outra faixa azul no ponto. Tem cerca de 3/8 pol. No centro, 1/4 pol. Na frente do entalhe e confina com 5/16 pol. No ponto.

Ainda outra flecha tem uma crista mais complexa com uma faixa azul estreita, uma espiral azul para outra faixa azul, uma lacuna e outra faixa azul e, finalmente, uma longa faixa vermelha terminada com uma faixa azul muito estreita.

Figura 9. Crista em algumas das setas (fora da escala)

Figura 10. Extremidades de Nock das flechas Miran

Figura 11. Pontas das setas Miran (pontos faltando)

Figura 12. Reconstrução do arco pesado (impressão do artista devido à incapacidade de manusear e medir o arco - escala aproximada)

Outros achados de Miran

As descobertas relacionadas ao arco e flecha por Stein em 1908 foram bastante limitadas, consistindo em uma ponta de flecha de ferro chato e dois fragmentos de haste de flecha de junco, um com restos de penas.

A área de Miran também foi escavada por Sven Hedin na década de 1930 12. Ele escavou um cemitério a alguma distância a nordeste do forte. Os túmulos encontrados foram bastante limitados, provavelmente datando da dinastia Han (206 AC - 220 DC, esta é a primeira parte do período Shanshan).

Outros achados de tiro com arco do Reino de Shanshan 13

O arco Qum-Darya foi encontrado em uma vala comum perto de Loulan e data de cerca de 200 DC 14. É um arco grande e assimétrico do estilo Hunnic. Este foi encontrado intacto, mas infelizmente destruído e a maioria das peças perdidas no trânsito para fora do deserto. Restam apenas fragmentos de siyah.

Figura 13. Forma aproximada do arco Qum Darya quando encontrado (tirado de uma foto pequena e não muito nítida)

Yingpan é outro local próximo a Lop Nor. Dois arcos intactos foram encontrados, ambos datando do século III. Uma é uma arma de estilo Hunnic muito assimétrica (M19). O outro é um composto quase único com uma transição estranha entre o membro e siyah (M30).

Figura 14. Yingpan M19

Figura 15. Yingpan M30

O reino Jingjue em Niya era originalmente uma cidade-estado independente no sul da Rota da Seda. Foi anexado por Shanshan no final do século 2 DC 15. Um número significativo de arcos foi encontrado neste local, dois grandes arcos de membros largos e dois arcos assimétricos de estilo Hunnic foram particularmente bem preservados. É possível que os arcos de membros largos fossem de antes da conquista de Shanshan. 59MNM001 é datado da dinastia Han Oriental (25-220 DC) e a sepultura 95MN1M4 foi datada de carbono suspeitamente da data inicial de 260 +/- 60BC, com os arcos assimétricos do tempo logo após o Shanshan assumir o controle (95MN1M8 em 206+ / -60AD e 95MN1M3 em 215 +/- 60AD).

Figura 16. Niya 59MNM001

Figura 17. Niya 95MN1M4b

Figura 18. Niya 95MN1M8

Figura 19. Niya 95MN1M3

Achados de tiro com arco tibetano antigo

Para ver se os arcos Miran podem ser associados ao forte, é útil compará-los a alguns equipamentos de arco e flecha tibetanos contemporâneos.

Alguns achados interessantes da era do domínio tibetano da Ásia Central foram encontrados ao redor do forte de Mazar Tagh. Situa-se a cerca de 120 milhas ao norte de Khotan, em um local estratégico com vista para o rio Khotan, nas profundezas do deserto de Taklamakan 16.

No início do século 20, uma coleção de cajados com trapos votivos ainda existia na parte superior da escarpa, indicando o suposto local de descanso de um santo que deu o nome ao local Mazar significando enterro e tagh uma pequena colina em turco ou persa 17. Perto estava um antigo santuário budista.

O forte foi escavado pela primeira vez por Sir Aurel Stein em 1908 e revisitado por ele alguns anos depois, onde ele coletou algum material encontrado por caçadores de tesouros locais. A maior parte das descobertas veio de lixeiras formadas pelos ocupantes que descartavam os resíduos ao longo da borda da escarpa, onde se amontoavam protegidos do vento e alto o suficiente para formar o rio para permanecerem secos. Esses resíduos continham um grande número de documentos, o que permitiu que o forte fosse vinculado ao império tibetano e datado dos séculos VIII a IX 18. Ele também continha alguns fragmentos de haste de flecha e algumas "pontas de arcos de madeira", que são obviamente siyahs de arcos compostos quebrados 19.

Vários fragmentos de haste de flecha de madeira foram encontrados no local. Dois dos fragmentos maiores tinham pouco mais de 25 centímetros de comprimento e da extremidade do entalhe. Eles diminuíram de 3/8 a 1/4 pol. Antes do entalhe. Um tinha traços de penas de cerca de 5 pol. Com um arranjo em espiral. Alguns apresentavam vestígios de encadernação e laca. A maioria dos fragmentos era de madeira, mas um era de cana.

Figura 20. Um dos fragmentos da haste da flecha

Um siyah de madeira, provavelmente tamargueira, com uma seção transversal triangular sobrevive de um arco composto. Um pequeno orifício na ponta era possivelmente para suspensão. A ranhura do nock está a 2 1/2 pol. Da ponta e mostra evidências de desgaste da corda. 5 pol. Inferior do siyah é “Reduzido para levar a ligação, agora se foi”. Comprimento total (reto) 12 1/2 pol., Maior largura 7/8 pol., Maior espessura 13/16 pol.

Figura 21. M. Tagh. a.0017

M.Tagh a.0018 é outro siyah de madeira. A parte inferior de 4 1/2 pol. Tem uma cobertura de tiras de casca de árvore, presumivelmente sobre uma ligação de tendão. O comprimento total é de 11 pol. (Reto), largura de 7/8 pol. A 3/16 pol., Espessura de 7/8 pol. A 5/8 pol.

Este fragmento reside atualmente no Museu Britânico.

Figura 22. M. Tagh. a.0018

Este é outro siyah feito de madeira dura com um ramo de apoio de tendão. O ventre é achatado, o dorso é arredondado em forma de quilha. A ponta é achatada e tem o entalhe nock a cerca de 1 1/2 pol. Da ponta. A parte de trás do tendão sobe até o siyah e é amarrada com fibra fina e pintada de preto. Supostamente extremamente bem feito. Comprimento total 1 pé 9 pol., Comprimento siyah cerca de 13 pol., Largura no centro (presumivelmente o centro de todo o fragmento, portanto na base siyah) 1 1/2 pol.

Os três siyahs encontrados por Stein são notáveis ​​pela falta de quaisquer placas ósseas, que eram típicas dos primeiros arcos Hunnic e dos arcos magiares europeus da data contemporânea. São de madeira maciça sem nenhum suporte ou cobertura de tendões. É provável que eles tenham sido emendados nos membros.

Os três achados têm diferentes ângulos limb-siyah, M. Tagh. a.0018 tendo ângulo zero, mas todos têm curvas suaves e o entalhe a alguma distância da ponta.

A falta de qualquer outro arco restante torna a determinação do comprimento do arco uma questão de suposições, mas os comprimentos siyah de 11-13 pol. São mais curtos do que as armas Hunnic anteriores.

As hastes das flechas de madeira são de forma bastante típica da Ásia Central, com hastes em barril e encaixes levemente bulbosos. Este formulário foi usado por um longo período. A falta de hastes completas torna qualquer determinação do comprimento de tração difícil.

Os arcos Miran são muito úteis no fornecimento de mais informações sobre o desenvolvimento do arco composto 22, embora eles não caiam perfeitamente nas categorias limitadas existentes.

A forma geral dos arcos Miran é geralmente Hunnic, mas com uma série de características incomuns.

Tamanho e forma geral

Seu tamanho geral é mais representativo dos arcos da primeira metade do primeiro milênio, sendo os arcos da segunda metade do primeiro milênio geralmente mais curtos. Alguns dos arcos mongóis medievais tinham comprimento semelhante aos arcos Miran.

A assimetria é outra característica inicial, sendo comum nos arcos de estilo huno e incomum na época das invasões mongóis 23.

A construção siyah com o núcleo dobrado e tiras de reforço adicionadas é vista nos primeiros achados de Qum-Darya e Khotan, e provavelmente comum nos arcos Hunnic.

As placas laterais siyah em um dos arcos também têm raízes Hunnic.

O uso de placas laterais de madeira não é registrado em achados arqueológicos anteriores. Como a maioria dos achados dos primeiros arcos compostos consistia apenas em placas de osso, arcos com placas laterais de madeira ou siyahs de madeira sólida seriam arqueologicamente invisíveis na maioria das circunstâncias.

Os siyahs são ligeiramente mais curtos do que os comuns no período Hunnic, mas isso pode ser uma característica do projeto devido à falta de endurecimento das placas ósseas.

Várias variantes dos arcos turcos antigos em uso nos séculos 6 a 13 não tinham as placas siyah 24. Todos eles diferem dos arcos Miran no uso de placas laterais de empunhadura.

Os siyahs do século 8-9 de Mazar-tagh têm um design diferente. Eles são de madeira maciça sem placas laterais, suporte de tendão ou espiral, uma construção usada nos arcos mongóis posteriores. Presume-se que esses siyahs foram emendados nos membros.

Os Mazah Tagh siyahs têm uma seção transversal aproximadamente triangular em direção à sua base, uma forma vista no arco Onmnogov posterior, mas não na maioria dos arcos mongóis medievais.

Os arcos Miran têm uma seção transversal bastante oval quando o membro se junta ao siyah. Isso é visto em alguns dos arcos medievais da Mongólia.

Os Mazah Tagh siyahs também diferem dos arcos Miran por terem cerca de 2 pol. De distância entre a ponta e a ranhura do nock. Esta é uma característica posterior típica também vista nos arcos Moshcheveya Balka do século VIII.

A amarração do tendão em espiral ao longo de todo o comprimento dos arcos Miran é semelhante ao arco Yrzi da Síria 25. O arco Yrzi tinha apenas uma camada de envoltório de tendão, tornando os arcos Miran únicos por ter duas dessas camadas.

Os outros arcos reforçados com osso de Xinjiang têm faixas visíveis de envoltório de tendão nas extremidades da empunhadura e na base do siyah, portanto, não se acredita que tenham um envoltório espiral contínuo. Em contraste, os arcos de estilo cita anteriores de Subeshi parecem ter sido enrolados em tendões 26.

A grande largura do membro na base do siyah é incomum. É possível que isso esteja relacionado à falta de endurecimento das placas ósseas.

As tiras de reforço no arco Miran indo bem para baixo no galho a partir da base do siyah causariam uma falta de curvatura no galho externo. A falta de curvatura semelhante nos membros externos pode ser vista nos arcos Hunnic de Niya e no arco Omnogov 27, indicada pela falta de inserção nos membros externos.

A camada extra de tendão aplicada ao arco mais pesado após o envoltório espiral foi presumivelmente uma modificação para aumentar o peso de tração após a conclusão.

A forma geral dos punhos Miran difere marcadamente da forma Hunnic inicial, que era muito mais longa e com placas ósseas óbvias 28. Eles também diferem substancialmente dos arcos derivados do turco com placas laterais de osso dos séculos 6 a 12.

Eles parecem mais próximos dos arcos mongóis muito posteriores, que normalmente tinham uma placa de osso no ventre reforçando a empunhadura originada por volta do século X. Uma forma anterior com uma forma de placa mais retangular conhecida como tipo Kimek datada dos séculos IX-X. Os arcos Miran podem ser significativamente anteriores a isso, então provavelmente não têm placas de barriga óssea.

O formato da empunhadura e a falta de placas de empunhadura visíveis provavelmente indicam uma construção diferente dos arcos Hunnic (que parecem ter os dois membros unidos na empunhadura, as empunhaduras longas proporcionando uma união mais longa). É possível que o núcleo tenha sido feito em uma única peça, dobrado a quente com um espelho colado na parte traseira. Isso é comparável à construção da alça dos compósitos chineses mais recentes.

As flechas têm a forma típica da Ásia Central com haste em forma de barril e entalhe bulboso, usado por um longo período. A falta de quaisquer cabeças remove outra fonte de evidência de datação.

Como os restos mortais mostram maior semelhança com os arcos Hunnic da era Shanshan do que com os tipos tibetanos posteriores, acredita-se que os arcos sejam da data de Shanshan, embora seja possível uma data posterior com algumas características arcaicas.

Nossos agradecimentos ao Museu da Rota da Seda pela permissão para fotografar seus arcos.

Atex, W. & amp Menes G., The ‘Omnogov Bow’, JSA-A 38, pp. 71-75.

Beckwith C.I., O Império Tibetano na Ásia Central: Uma História da Luta por Grande Poder entre os tibetanos, turcos, árabes e chineses durante o início da Idade Média, Princeton University Press 1993.

Bergman F. Pesquisas arqueológicas em Sinkiang, especialmente na região de Lop-Nor, Estocolmo, 1939

Wang Binghua (Ed) Os antigos cadáveres de Xinjiang: os povos da antiga Xinjiang e sua cultura, CIP, 1999, ISBN 7-228-05161-0. [Inglês e Chinês]

Brown P.E. ‘Um Arco Composto Recentemente Descoberto’, Annales de l’Institut Kondakov, Praga, 1937.

Hall A., 'Alguns arcos compostos bem preservados', JSA-A 48, pp. 28-36.

Hall A., ‘The Development of Bone Reinforced Composites’, JSA-A 49, pp. 65-77.

Hill J. E. (trans), Os povos do oeste. http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/weilue/weilue.html. (Um rascunho da tradução do Weilue por Yu Huan).

Hill J. E. (trans), As regiões ocidentais de acordo com o Hou Hanshu. http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/hhshu/hou_han_shu.html. Tradução de ‘Capítulo sobre as regiões ocidentais’ de Hou Hanshu.

Makiko Onishi, Asanobu Kitamoto, ‘Another Silk Road: Qinghai Route’, Rota da Seda em livros raros, Digital Silk Road Project, http://dsr.nii.ac.jp/rarebook/07/

Li Qing: GU LOULAN SHANSHAN YISHU ZONGLUN. (Resumo da Arte Antiga de Lou-Lan e Shan-Shan). Pequim, 2005. [Chinês]

Mode, M. e Tubach, J. (Eds), Armas e armaduras como indicadores de transferência cultural, Dr. Ludwig Reichert Verlag, Weisbaden 2006. [Inglês, Alemão e Francês]

Stein A., SerindiaOxford, 1921.

Stein A., Ásia InteriorOxford, 1928.

Whitfield S., A Rota da Seda: Comércio, Viagem, Guerra e Fé, British Library Publishing, 2004.

Feng Zhao e Zhiyong Yu (Editores) Legado do Rei do Deserto: Têxteis e Tesouros Escavados na Rota da Seda, ISAT / Costume Squad Ltd, Hong Kong, 2000, ISBN 962-85691-2-0. [Inglês e chinês]

Instituto de Arqueologia de Xinjiang et al, ‘Cemitério 3 na área da tumba de Shu-bash, Condado de Shanshan’, Novas conquistas na pesquisa arqueológica em Xinjiang entre 1990-1996, Instituto de Arqueologia de Xinjiang e Museu da Região Autônoma de Xinjiang, 1997, ISBN 7-80547-550-4. [Chinês]

1 Forte Miran pode ser visto no Google Earth em 39º13’36,10 ”N, 88º58’14,50” E

3 Ver Hill, Os povos do oeste, notas da seção 4.

4 Os chineses nem sempre tinham tropas disponíveis para manter o controle. Por exemplo, Shanshan submeteu-se aos Xiongnu (Hunos) depois de ter sido negado ajuda pelos chineses em 46AD. Veja também Hill, As regiões ocidentais de acordo com Hou Hanshu.

5 Ver Whitfield, capítulo ‘Miran: War and Faith’

6 Whitfield não explica por que viajar se tornou mais difícil. As razões prováveis ​​são falta de segurança e mudanças climáticas. Niya também foi abandonado nessa época e engolido pelo deserto.

7 Consulte ‘Outra Rota da Seda’ para obter uma descrição da Rota Qinghai.

8 sepulturas de Niya 59MNM001, 95MN1M3 e 95MN1M8 continham casais com um único arco. 95MN1M1 continha dois machos e dois arcos. 95MN1M4 continha dois machos, uma fêmea e uma criança e dois arcos. Ver Os antigos cadáveres de Xinjiang.

9 Isso poderia ser um erro de impressão por 15-14 séculos a.C., mas Miran estava desocupado nesta data.

10 O período Shanshan é cerca do século 2 aC ao século 4 dC. A maior parte dos remanescentes de Shanshan em Miran são do final deste período.

11 Com todo o resto sendo igual, um arco de 2 x ⅝ pol. Será mais de duas vezes mais rígido do que 1 ¾ x ½ pol., Embora essa diferença seja reduzida pelos siyahs mais longos no arco mais pesado.

12 Archaeological Researches in Sinkiang, pp. 223-229.

13 Ver Hall, Alguns Arcos Compostos Bem Preservados

14 Bergman, Archaeological Researches in Sinkiang, pp. 118-131 e placas XIII e 18. A placa XIIIa mostra o conteúdo da vala comum após a escavação. O arco intacto é visível do lado direito.

15 Ver Prefácio do Legado do Rei do Deserto

O forte 16 Mazar-tagh pode ser visto no Google Earth a 38 ° 27'2.12 "N, 80 ° 51'46,34" E.

17 Tradução de Zagit Davidov.

18 Isso está relacionado ao controle tibetano de Khotan de 792-851 d.C.

19 É interessante que dois dos três siyahs pareçam ter os membros aos quais estavam presos quebrados ao se dobrar para o lado errado. Aquele que não apresenta evidências disso é M.Tagh a.0018, que não possui nenhum ângulo siyah / membro. Isso pode ser indicativo de alguma instabilidade nos arcos tibetanos, fazendo com que eles se revertam e se quebrem.

20 Serindia, Vol 3. p. 1292 e Pl. LI.

21 Innermost Asia, vol. 3, pág. 94 e Pl. VI.

22 Devido às limitações no número de arcos intactos dessa idade, a maior parte do trabalho de evolução do arco composto foi feito apenas com as placas de reforço ósseo.

23 O Museu da Rota da Seda também contém um arco medieval mongol de comprimento e assimetria semelhantes.

24 Veja Hall, The Development of Bone-Reinforced Composites. Esses tipos são conhecidos apenas a partir dos achados de placas de fixação óssea, portanto, a forma dos siyahs não é conhecida.

25 Ver Brown, Um Arco Composto Recentemente Descoberto

26 Uma descrição do arco encontrada no Instituto de Arqueologia de Xinjiang et al, Cemitério 3 na área da tumba de Shu-bash, Condado de Shanshan afirma que a camada externa do arco M4 é envolta em tendões de boi.

27 Embora muito posterior ao período medieval, este arco parece muito semelhante aos arcos da dinastia Yuan, mesmo com o uso de uma placa abdominal com alça de osso.

28 Mode and Tubach contém várias ilustrações de placas de punho decoradas com arcos Hunnic. Essas placas não poderiam ter sido cobertas.


Miran Fort - História

Woodville, a sede do condado de Tyler County, está localizada perto do centro geográfico do condado, abrangendo aproximadamente 3 milhas quadradas e atravessada pelas rodovias dos EUA 69, 190 e 287. Em 1846, quando Tyler County foi criado a partir de Liberty County, a Legislatura de O Texas ordenou que a sede do condado fosse determinada por eleição. O comitê nomeado para recomendar o local identificou três opções: Town Bluff que estava localizada no rio Neches, uma área entre as bifurcações de Turkey Creek pertencente ao Dr. Josiah Wheat, e um local na parte nordeste do condado em Wolf Creek. O pedaço de terra oferecido pelo Dr. Wheat foi selecionado e, em 1º de janeiro de 1847, o Dr. Wheat, um colono do Alabama e o primeiro médico registrado na área, transferiu para o condado aquele pedaço de terra para a construção do sede do condado. A formação do condado de Tyler foi atribuída aos esforços do então senador George T. Wood, que se tornou o segundo governador do Texas em 1847, e de N. B. Charlton, membro da Câmara baixa que representou o condado na legislatura. O primeiro tribunal foi uma casa de toras construída em 1849. O segundo foi um prédio de dois andares erguido em 1856, com uma prisão destinada a ser construída a 30 pés do centro do tribunal. O terceiro e último tribunal, um tijolo vermelho vitoriano de três andares com uma enorme torre do relógio, foi construído em 1891. Em 1935, o tribunal passou por uma grande reforma externa, como é hoje.

A primeira escola estabelecida em Woodville foi a Woodville Academy em 1849. As aulas eram inicialmente ministradas no tribunal e os alunos eram divididos em três classes. Além de leitura, escrita, aritmética e ciências, ortografia (caligrafia e grafia), elocução (fala pública ou formal), latim e grego eram alguns dos cursos oferecidos.

A primeira igreja documentada em Woodville foi a Bethel Baptist Church, estabelecida em 1851. Quando Woodville foi incorporada em 1856, consistia em cerca de 25 casas de toras, dois hotéis, duas lojas de secos e molhados e dois bares. No início da década de 1850, duas filas de palco passavam por Woodville, trazendo correspondência duas vezes por semana.

Em 1882, a ferrovia Texas & amp New Orleans (T & ampNO) completou sua linha entre Rockland, no extremo norte do condado de Tyler, até Beaumont. Quando o primeiro trem passou por Woodville, multidões compareceram para ver o espetáculo e comemorar esta bênção para a área. Com os trens, vieram as serrarias, e essa indústria dominou a área de Woodville pelos 75 anos seguintes. Ainda em 1965, a Woodville Lumber Company era a maior serraria do Condado de Tyler, produzindo mais de um milhão de metros quadrados de madeira serrada por mês, mais celulose e outros produtos.

Em 1890, Woodville tinha uma população de 519 e em 2013 2.513. Woodville abriga o Tyler County Booster, o Dogwood Festival, a Allan Shivers Library & amp Museum, o Heritage Village Museum, um aeroporto, um hospital, duas instalações de enfermagem / reabilitação, bem como várias organizações e empresas voltadas para serviços.

James E. and Josiah Wheat and others (compilado pelo The Tyler County Sesquicentennial Committee), Sketches of Tyler County History (Bevil Oaks: Whitmeyer, 1986).

Lou Ella Moseley, Pioneer Days of Tyler County (Fort Worth: Miran, 1975).


Tyler County

O Condado de Tyler fica no sudeste do Texas, perto da fronteira com a Louisiana. Woodville, a sede do condado e maior cidade, fica a cinqüenta e seis milhas ao norte de Beaumont e noventa milhas a nordeste de Houston, muito perto do centro do condado a 30 ° graus 47 'de latitude norte e 94 ° e deg25' de longitude oeste. O Condado de Tyler é limitado ao norte e ao leste pelo rio Neches. O condado compreende 908 milhas quadradas de florestas do leste do Texas, uma área densamente arborizada com pinheiros e uma grande variedade de madeiras nobres. Ele contém duas unidades e partes de mais duas das doze unidades da Reserva Nacional Big Thicket estabelecida pelo Congresso em 1974. O terreno é suavemente ondulado, com uma elevação que varia de 30 a 120 metros acima do nível do mar. O norte e o leste do condado de Tyler são drenados para o rio Neches através dos riachos Caney, Russell, Billiams, Pamplin, Wolf, Theuvenins e Rush. A parte sudoeste do condado contém inúmeras nascentes e drenos nos riachos Horsepen, Hickory, Turkey e Cypress. The largest body of water in the county is B. A. Steinhagen Lake on the Neches River, impounded in 1951 by Town Bluff Dam (also called Dam B) the lake covers 13,700 acres. Two main soil types are found in Tyler County. In the northern, rolling two-thirds are clayey to sandy marine and continental deposits, and in the level, southern one-third are recent noncalcareous and calcareous clayey flood plain and alluvium. The former, with its loamy or sandy surface layers and clayey or loamy subsoils, supports heavy stands of pine and hardwoods. The latter, more varied soil supports hardwood forest, grasses, crops, and pasturage. Excellent farmland comprises 21 to 30 percent of the land in the county. Mineral resources include clay, industrial sands, oil, and gas. Temperatures range from an average high of 94° F in June to an average low of 38° F in January, rainfall averages forty to fifty inches per year, and the growing season extends for 241 days.

The area of Tyler County was for centuries occupied by agricultural Caddoan, and possibly Atakapan, Indians. White settlers there in the early nineteenth century encountered both Caddoan-related Cherokees uprooted from the east and groups of Alabama and Coushatta Indians, recent migrants from Louisiana. In 1809 there were hundreds of Alabama Indians living on the west bank of the Neches River, three leagues above the junction of the Neches and Angelina rivers. At Peach Tree Village in Tyler County, their principal Texas settlement, the Alabamas kept cattle, horses, and hogs and cultivated corn, potatoes, beans, and yams. The Cherokees were eventually driven from the state by order of Mirabeau B. Lamar, but the Alabamas and Coushattas cooperated with Sam Houston and others friendly to their cause and have survived as one of only two Indian groups living on their own reservations in Texas. The Alabama-Coushatta Reservation is just across the western Tyler County line in Polk County. The settlement by Whites of what was to become Tyler County began before the time of the Texas Revolution in 1836. Three Americans received land grants there from Mexican authorities in 1834, and thirty-four more men and one woman, Jane Taylor, received grants during 1835. The area was originally organized in 1842 under the name of Menard District, "for judicial and other purposes," from a part of Liberty County. Tyler County was officially established by the Texas legislature on April 3, 1846, and was named in honor of President John Tyler. In 1842 Town Bluff, one of two early settlements, became the temporary county seat. In 1845 a permanent location was chosen. This was the site of the present county seat, Woodville, on 200 acres of land donated by Dr. Josiah Wheat in the forks of Turkey Creek. Woodville was named in honor of George T. Wood, who introduced the bill to establish the county and was the second governor of the state of Texas. The other early settlement, Fort Teran, on the Neches River where it crossed the Old Spanish Trail from Nacogdoches to Liberty, was established as a result of Anastasio Bustamante's Law of April 6, 1830 and its policies of restrictions on immigration.

Tyler County was settled predominantly by people from the southern United States, many of whom planned to resume the slaveholding society they had known before moving to Texas. However, the forests and loamy sand were not suited to growing cotton, so many of those who actually stayed were poor White farmers who owned no slaves. In 1850 the population was 1,894 by 1860 it was 4,525, and 26 percent of the population was Black. Tyler County before the Civil War had a subsistence productivity, home-consumed, mainly corn, sweet potatoes, molasses, and home-slaughtered animals. Only 3,907 bales of cotton were produced in 1860. In 1861, 99 percent of the citizens supported secession. The area was not invaded during the Civil War, but hundreds of its men fought, and most of its families felt in some way the pains of the war. During Reconstruction federal troops were stationed in Woodville for a time in 1868. Whites resented federal authority, but because of their numerical strength they were able to maintain a Democratic county government even in the face of Black enfranchisement.

Starting with 137 farms in 1850, Tyler County remained overwhelmingly agricultural and rural through 1900, when farms peaked at 1,199. In 1900 about the same amount of cotton (3,863 bales) was produced in the county as had been produced in 1860. But the economic picture shifted for the better with the coming of the railroads in the 1880s, because they facilitated the exploitation of its vast timber resources. In 1882 the Sabine and East Texas Railroad constructed a line from Kountze to Rockland that ran the length of Tyler County. In 1884 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas constructed twenty-nine miles of track across the northern part of the county, ending at Colmesneil. Many smaller connecting and short-line spurs were subsequently built to accommodate loading and hauling of timber. The foundation was laid for the sale of timberlands and timber and wood-related industries. By 1890 there were nineteen sawmills operating in Tyler County, and the population, which had increased only from 4,525 to 5,825 in the twenty years between 1860 and 1880, nearly doubled in the ten years between 1880 and 1890, when it reached 10,876. In the early 1890s William McCready and the Doucette brothers, Fred and Peter, founded a mill at Doucette, two miles north of Woodville, making the community for a time one of the major towns of East Texas. Many other settlements, now ghost towns or depopulated towns like Doucette, sprang up around sawmills throughout the county-Maydell, Mobile, Seneca, Barnum, Camden, Hampton, Josie, Hyatt, and Hillister, for example. The lumber industry continued to form the economic backbone of Tyler County through the first half of the twentieth century. In 1913&ndash14 Tyler County had 300 employees in lumber plants. Two years later the maximum wage of skilled workers in the lumber industry there was one of the highest in the state. Further spur lines, such as the East Texas and Gulf from Hyatt to Hicksbaugh built in 1917, were constructed into the piney woods. In 1925 it was estimated that some fifteen years' supply of virgin long and short leaf pine remained to be cut in Tyler County-perhaps fifteen million board feet. By 1939 there were an estimated 600,000 acres still in timber, and of nineteen industries in 1940, seventeen were sawmills. In 1950 lumber and wood products industries continued as the major employers, providing work for 876 males over fourteen years of age out of a total of 3,130.

The Great Depression, however, hit the county hard. Between 1930 and 1940 the number of people in both agricultural and nonagricultural occupations declined sharply, and unemployment remained at a high 18 percent in 1940. Public employment was relatively high in that year, however, when more people (461) worked for the Work Projects Administration and other such projects than were seeking jobs in the private sector (273). World War II ended the economic disaster of the 1930s, but the decade of the 1940s saw a decline in the White population and only a slight gain in the Black population. The total population fell from 11,946 in 1940 to 11,747 in 1950. This trend continued into 1960, when the total was 10,666. Agriculture occupied fewer workers each year after 1950, and cotton-planting virtually disappeared. Those who stayed on the land depended on mixed farming, poultry raising, and cattle. Since 1940 the largest town has been Woodville. Timber sales remained the number one producer of income. In the 1980s Tyler County was second only to Polk County in timber production, followed by farming, lumbering, poultry processing, manufacturing, tourism, and catfish production. Oil and gas production started in 1937 and experienced a limited increase during the 1970s and early 1980s. By 1990 a total of 33,618,537 barrels of oil had been produced in the county. While the depression and World War II saw a decline in population and the end of parts of Tyler County's agricultural economy, other developments have promised a more progressive future. The lumber industry remains healthy. Dairying increased in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The county had fourteen Grade A dairies shipping to Houston and Beaumont in 1952. It also experienced an improvement in transportation brought about by the automobile. In 1922 there were only 458 vehicles registered in Tyler County. By 1939 there were 1,929 registered, and by 1952 the number stood at 4,095. Registration climbed steadily in 1980 there were 13,212 motor vehicles registered in the county for a population of 16,223. In 1938 U.S. Highway 190, intended to cut the county through its center, was proposed by a group of citizens. Completed in 1948, it remained a major artery through deep East Texas, where travel had always been difficult. U.S. Highway 69 crosses 190 at Woodville, carrying a substantial amount of traffic from Beaumont to Lufkin.

In 1985 Tyler County had two weekly newspapers, the Woodsman e a Tyler County Booster, both published at Woodville. The county was served by Southwestern Bell, Colmesneil Telephone, and Eastex Telephone Co-op. It was totally dry. Woodville had electricity as early as 1925, and the rural areas were electrified during the 1940s after the Sam Houston Electric Cooperative was organized in 1939. After the depression there were also significant advances in the educational level of the population. In 1950 only 12.4 percent of those aged twenty-five or older were high school graduates. By 1980, however, about half of the population met this standard. Religious life, as in much of East Texas, has been dominated since the county's beginnings by evangelical Protestantism, especially by the Baptist, Primitive Baptist, and Methodist denominations. Other churches include the Fellowship Church, established in 1867, and the Episcopalian and Disciples of Christ churches, which came with the railroads during the 1880s. Still an actively church-oriented area of Texas, Tyler County has a reputation for rural harmony, quiet, and beauty that particularly encourages family tourism. A Democratic majority was returned for Tyler County in every presidential election from the Civil War until 1964, with the exceptions of 1956 and 1960, when Republicans won. In 1968 the majority in Tyler County voted for George Wallace's American party. From 1972 through 1992 voters have favored Republicans. The population was 16,646 in 1990. As of 2014, 21,418 people lived in the county. About 79.4 percent were Anglo, 11.6 percent African American, and 7.4 percent Hispanic. The major towns, Woodville (population, 2,636), Colmesneil (611), and Chester (324), collaborate with some fourteen unincorporated communities yearly to stage a spring celebration held on the last weekend in March and the first in April. These are Western Weekend for trailriders and the Tyler County Dogwood Festival, both involving extensive parades in Woodville and other activities. A county fair is held the first weekend of October. Visitors to the county come not only for these events but for the varied flora and fauna of the Big Thicket National Preserve, the "biological crossroads of North America."


Chester, TX

Chester is near the junction of U.S. Highway 287 and Farm Road 1745, thirteen miles northwest of Woodville in extreme northwestern Tyler County. The townsite is part of a five-league grant made to Gavino Aranjo on the old road from Nacogdoches to Liberty. In 1883 the Trinity and Sabine Railway routed its new line through the area one mile south of Peach Tree Village. Lots were sold near the line, and soon the Peach Tree Village post office and the Mount Hope Masonic lodge moved to the new town of Chester on the railroad. The town was named for Chester A. Arthur, who was at the time a senator from New York. The first postmaster at Chester was A. B. Green, who had been postmaster in Peach Tree Village. W. B. Carnes had a mercantile business in the town, and Dr. Whitehead of Mount Hope set up his son with a store there as well. Tom Seamans had a blacksmith shop, John Cobb a saloon, and Bill Lee a boardinghouse, where he also worked as justice of the peace. Jackson Riley had a large hotel, and John Lowe was constable. By 1890 the town had a sawmill, a school, two gins, and two churches. The population of Chester was reported as 176 in 1904, 300 in 1914, and as 250 from the mid-1920s to the mid-1940s, when it rose to 350. It continued to be reported at that level until the late 1960s, when it dropped to around 260. By 1980 the population had risen to 301, and by 1988, to 409. The community generally had from seven to ten rated businesses during this period. The local blackland soil is fine farmland Chester in the 1980s was also surrounded by prime pine forests and for many years had seen sawmill activity. In 1986 the town comprised farmers and cattle raisers, three churches, several stores, substantial homes, a school, a post office, and good roads. Its population was reported as 285 in 1990, but dropped to 265 in 2000.


History of Bundi fort

The state of Bundi was established in 1341 by Rao Deva. The enormous Bundi Fort dates to his reign. It is broadly trusted that the Bundi Fort is the main Hill Fort in India. It is likewise one of the most seasoned forts in Rajasthan to have seen countless and also rulers from Rajput, Muslim, Maratha and the British winners till date. The notable dargah that is located in the fort has a place with Hazrat Miran Syed Hussain AsgharKhangswar, the legislative leader of Ajmer when Sultan Shahabuddin Ghori was the ruler here. After the demise of Qutubuddin Aibak, the Chauhan and Rajput rulers together assaulted the fort, and Miran Syed Hussain Asghar Khangswar was slaughtered there.


This sling is made of plaited yak-hair cord, with an elliptical monochrome light-brown felt receptacle. It was recovered from the site of Miran Fort on the eastern verge of the Taklamakan desert. Here archaeologists discovered material in the remains of a fort held by the Tibetans during their domination of the southern Taklamakan in the 8th century AD.

The site is part of an area of Central Asia we now call the Silk Road. This series of overland trade routes crossed Asia from China to Europe. The most notable item traded was silk but the Silk Road was also important for the exchange of ideas. While silk textiles travelled west from China, Buddhism travelled east, entering China from India.

The explorer and archaeologist Sir Marc Aurel Stein (1862-1943) brought this piece of fibre back from Central Asia. The V&A has around 700 ancient and medieval textiles recovered by Stein at the beginning of the 20th century. Some are silk while others, like this piece, are made from the wool of a variety of different animals.

Attached to sling is a rectangular tag label showing Stein number possibly in Stein's handwriting or that of his assistant, Miss F M G Lorimer.

Michael Ryder has identified the hair used as yak outer hair.

This sling is made of plaited yak-hair cord, with an elliptical monochrome light-brown felt receptacle. It was recovered from the site of Miran Fort on the eastern verge of the Taklamakan desert. Here archaeologists discovered material in the remains of a fort held by the Tibetans during their domination of the southern Taklamakan in the 8th century AD.

The site is part of an area of Central Asia we now call the Silk Road. This series of overland trade routes crossed Asia from China to Europe. The most notable item traded was silk but the Silk Road was also important for the exchange of ideas. While silk textiles travelled west from China, Buddhism travelled east, entering China from India.

The explorer and archaeologist Sir Marc Aurel Stein (1862-1943) brought this piece of fibre back from Central Asia. The V&A has around 700 ancient and medieval textiles recovered by Stein at the beginning of the 20th century. Some are silk while others, like this piece, are made from the wool of a variety of different animals.

  • Ryder, Michael. 'Ancient fibres from the Silk Route in Central Asia', Textiles Magazine. Manchester: Textile Institute, no. 3, 1999.
  • Wilson, Verity. 'Early Textiles from Central Asia: Approaches to Study with reference to the Stein Loan Collection in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London', Textile History 26 (1) . Devon: David & Charles/Pasold Research Fund Ltd, 1995, pp.23-52.ill.
  • Stein, Aurel, Serindia: Detailed Report of Exploration in Central Asia and Westernmost China Carried Out and Described Under the Orders of H.M Indian Government , 5 vols (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1921), vol. I, p.478. Vol.IV, pl. EU.

Trip on a Tankful: Old Fort Madison 'an odd piece of American history'

CLOSE

Eugene Watkins, Site Manager at Old Fort Madison, a replica of the original fort, says it’s one of the more unique sites to visit in the state of Iowa. “You really don’t come across it in school,” he says. “It’s an interesting and odd piece of American history.” (Photo: Eugene Watkins, Site Manager at Old Fort Madison/Special to the Register)

A lesser-known piece of American history is the establishment of the United States Government Factory System. In response to the 1804 Treaty of St. Louis, government trading posts were set up as part of the payment to the Sac and Fox Nation for lands relinquished to the United States.

In an effort to maintain peace and goodwill with Native Americans, the government sold all trade goods at cost and offered high prices for the goods that Native Americans brought in to sell. What also set these government factories apart from private trading posts was the fact that no alcohol was sold. One of the most successful of these government trading posts was along the Mississippi River in what is now Fort Madison.

Eugene Watkins, site manager at Old Fort Madison, a replica of the original fort, said it’s one of the more unique sites to visit in the state of Iowa.

Fort Madison pre-dates the state of Iowa itself. It is the site of the first American settlement in what would later become Iowa. (Photo: Eugene Watkins, Site Manager at Old Fort Madison/Special to the Register)

“You really don’t come across it in school,” he said. “It’s an interesting and odd piece of American history.”

It became one of the most popular trading posts among the Native Americans, where they could buy nearly anything they needed.

“It was pretty much like a Wal-Mart,” said Watkins. “The natives could get everything here from premade clothes to firearms, and they could get it at cost without having alcohol pushed on them.”

In return, the Native Americans got top dollar for raw materials like furs, lead and even feathers.

“One shipment to St. Louis contained 578 pounds of feathers traded by the natives,” Watkins said.

Visit Old Fort Madison to learn what life was like for a soldier stationed there. (Photo: Eugene Watkins, Site Manager at Old Fort Madison/Special to the Register)

The demise of Fort Madison came during the War of 1812, when it was attacked several times by primarily Ho-Chunk and Menomenee warriors. It is unknown just how many civilians, Missouri Territory Militia, U.S. Rangers or Native Americans are buried at Fort Madison. However, there are 21 soldiers and one ranger buried there, making it the oldest United States military cemetery in Iowa. Eventually, the fort was burned by soldiers after the trading became compromised.

Visit Old Fort Madison in Riverview Park to see what life was like in a trading post and military fort during the early days of the nation. See what life was like for a soldier stationed there. Experience a musket being fired by an interpreter in period attire. Read through historical documents, from letters to receipts, transcribed by Watkins himself.

The demise of Fort Madison came during the War of 1812, when it was attacked several times by primarily Ho-Chunk and Menomenee warriors. (Photo: Eugene Watkins, Site Manager at Old Fort Madison/Special to the Register)

Endereço: 716 Riverview Drive, Fort Madison, Iowa

Online: oldfortmadison.org

Distance from downtown Des Moines: 174 miles

Fato engraçado: Fort Madison pre-dates the state of Iowa itself. It is the site of the first American settlement in what would later become Iowa.

Crianças: The hands-on factor at Old Fort Madison makes it perfect for kids. They can feel a beaver pelt, try on uniforms and run and climb around the fort to let off some steam.

Admissão: $8 adults, $7 with military ID, $3.50 students, free ages 5 and under. Family Rate: 2 adults and 2-5 kids under age 16 for $20.

Horas: From June until August, they are open Wednesdays-Saturdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

Dica Profissional: Although Fort Madison is currently experiencing road construction, you can follow the detour signs to get to Riverview Park and Old Fort Madison.

Visit Old Fort Madison in Riverview Park to see what life was like in a trading post and military fort during the early part of the nation. (Photo: Eugene Watkins, Site Manager at Old Fort Madison/Special to the Register)

Upcoming Event: Don’t have plans for Memorial Weekend? Visit for Muster on the Mississippi, where re-enactors dressed in military attire from across the ages will discuss commonalities and differences among soldiers. On Monday, join in a remembrance of the fallen heroes who served at the post from 1808-1813.

Onde comer: Watkin recommends La Casa Salsa (4821 Avenue O), for authentic Mexican food. Check out their daily specials or order off their extensive menu. Visit them on Facebook @LaCasaSalsaFM to peruse their menu in advance


Miran

The ancient city of Miran lies on the very southern edge of the vast Taklamakan Desert, in modern-day Xinjiang, China. Miran was a vitally important oasis city on the Silk Roads, becoming a hub for cultural and economic exchanges between western China, Tibet and Central Asia in the 1st millennium CE.

Panoramic view of the sand blown landscape of the city of Miran, in 2018 (Photograph Yunxiao Liu).

Visited by the explorer Marco Polo, who knew the city as ‘Lop’, Miran later began to attract other interested parties from the late 19th century, excavated by both Sir Aurel Stein and the Japanese Otani Mission in the early 1900s. China’s own excavations were begun by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in the late 1950s, and the site has more recently been investigated by the Xinjiang Institute of Archaeology, who are working on a comprehensive publication.

The remains include the walled city, a Tibetan fort, Buddhist monastic sites, and complex irrigation systems. The site is covered by wind-blown sands, partially protecting it, partly eroding it. The site is difficult to understand now, obscured in part by the shifting sands. One of the aims of the CAAL project is to bring together the published and unpublished material on sites such as this, building a historic environment database to provide a solid platform for discussing how to conserve, manage and display such sites. We also need to understand more about the deterioration of this fragile earthen architecture: combining historic archaeological records with modern observations will enable us to explore these changes, and to better manage their change in the future.

A ruined shrine at Miran. Top: photographed in 1907 by Stein (© British Library Board Photograph 392/27(118), reproduced with permission). Bottom: the same site in 2012 (© British Library Board Photo 1125/16(149), reproduced with permission). The degradation, and loss of some features, is obvious, although some have been protected by reburial.


A record of a ritual to a local deity, found in Miran (IOL Tib J 255)

The four-sided, pointed stick pictured above was found in the desert fortress of Miran by Aurel Stein in 1907. Along with the most of Stein’s acquisitions, it was then sent to London, where it was placed in the India Office Library, to be ignored by almost everyone except the librarian FW Thomas, who attempted to read the Tibetan writing on all of its four sides, and published his translation in his Tibetan Literary Texts and Documents in the 1950s.

The stick is all that remains of a ritual performance, which is recorded in Tibetan writing on each of its four sides. The writing tells us that this was a ritual for a local deity (yul lha) carried out by a team of ritual specialists including a bon po. Like the other documents from Miran, it dates from the time when the fort was an outpost of the Tibetan empire, which began to fall apart in the middle of the 9th century. This stick probably dates from a few years (perhaps a few decades) before that collapse.

So what we have seems to be a record of the actual performance of a ritual dating back to the time of the Tibetan empire. I think this must be by far the earliest reliable documentary evidence of the actual ritual activities of people identifying themselves as bon po.

Why is this interesting? There has been a debate going on in Tibetological circles for some time about the early non-Buddhist Tibetan religion, which was probably not known as Bon but was practised by ritualists known as bon po. The relationship between this early complex of ritual practices and the religion known as Bonpo (now accepted as one of the schools of Tibetan Buddhism) is complicated. Modern scholarship has cast doubt on the accounts of the Bonpo tradition about its own history, transmitted in texts which generally date from after the 10th century. Those attempting to understand the nature of the early non-Buddhist Tibetan religion have often turned to the Dunhuang manuscripts as an alternative source of evidence (I wrote more about this a while ago in this post).

A fresco from one of the stupas near the Miran fort, predating the Tibetan occupation by several centuries

There are quite a few manuscripts from Dunhuang about non-Buddhist ritual practices like funerals, divination and healing. I could write much more about them, but to show why the wooden dockets from Miran are so interesting, I’ll just say why the Dunhuang sources are somewhat unsatisfactory. First, as the Dunhuang cave seems to have been sealed in the early 11th century, these manuscripts may not date from much earlier than the transmitted texts of the Bonpo tradition, weakening claims by scholars that they are the more authentic sources. Second, the Dunhuang manuscripts are literary sources (though probably derived from oral traditions), mostly narratives or paradigms which would have presumably have supported ritual practice, but are not evidence for what people were actually doing.

On the other hand, the dockets from Miran can be dated, with some confidence, to the 9th century, and probably to Tibet’s imperial era. As records of actual ritual events, they let us know that this was not a merely a literary tradition, but a living practice. And unlike the literary texts, they are firmly local, telling us who the officiants of the ritual were, why the ritual was carried out, and the local deities to whom the ritual was addressed. The offer us the chance to see the activities of the bon po (as well as other ritual officiants like gshen), “on the ground.”

The remains of the Tibetan fort at Miran (Tib. Nob cung)

So, what kinds of rituals were being performed for the Tibetan military officials of the Miran fort? Unsurprisingly, there are quite a few records of funerals (see for example IOL Tib N 330). It is difficult to work out exactly what happened in the course of these rituals (despite Thomas’s valiant attempts at translation). It looks to me like the main aim of the funeral was to guide the “mental principle” (thugs) of the deceased to the right level (gral). One of the practices accompanying this seems to be a libation offering: most of the funeral records specify a precise number of spoonfuls (yams) of a sacred beverage (skyems) to be offered. Reference to a “beverage offering” (skyems gsol) no Old Tibetan Annals suggests that some form of this practice goes back to the 7th century or earlier.

But it is only in another kind of ritual, the supplication of local deities, that we find the four-sided pointed sticks like the one at the top of this post. I don’t know the reason for the stick’s being carved into this shape, and any ideas would be welcomed (could it represent an arrow, for example?). The ritual supplications are directed to a variety of deities, including the local deities (yul lha), and minor spirits like sman e g.yang. In these rituals, the main officiant is called lha bon po, that term lha presumably indicating his special role towards deities. The other officiant is the gshen, and it is interesting to see that it was the norm, rather than the exception, for these two types of ritualist to work together.

There’s much more to be said about these ritual dockets, but I’ll conclude with a thought about the people who produced them. Clearly they were the soldiers and officials manning the outposts of the Tibetan empire in Central Asia. In two cases, we have the names of the people who either officiated or commissioned the ritual, and they both have the high official rank of blon. So it seems that well after the official adoption of Buddhism as the Tibetan state religion, the practice of non-Buddhist rituals was common (perhaps even standard) among the Tibetan ruling class. In a sense, this shouldn’t surprise us. Perhaps more surprising is that one of the dockets (IOL Tib N 279) mentions the presence of 21 Buddhist monks (dge ‘dun) at a funeral ritual. It is difficult to say from this source whether these monks were carrying out the role normally performed by the bon po or were just in attendance at a (non-Buddhist) funeral for a deceased member of their sangha. Either scenario is intriguing.

I have written an article on these and other early sources on non-Buddhist Tibetan ritual practice, provisionally titled “The Naming of Tibetan Religion: Bon e Chos in the Imperial Period,”which will come out at some point in the near-ish future, and I’ll post a notification when it does.

FW Thomas’s translations can be found in the section “Government and Social Conditions” of his Tibetan Literary Texts and Documents concerning Chinese Turkestan, Part II: Documents, Royal Asiatic Society, London, 1951.

For some interesting discussion of the term bon in the early period, and the dates of the Dunhuang sources, see Henk Blezer, “Ston pa gshen rab: Six Marriages and Many More Funerals.” Revue d’Études Tibétaines 15 (2008): 421–479. PDF available right here.

The reference to skyems gsol no Old Tibetan Annals is in the year 682-3. See the translation at p.94 of Brandon Dotson’s The Old Tibetan Annals: An Annotated Translation of Tibet’s First History. Vienna: Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, 2009. The Tibetan text of the Anuais and many early ritual texts from Dunhuang are freely available over at OTDO.

I also recommend having a look at Vincent Bellezza’s translation of a narrative on the “golden libation” (gser skems) recently found in the Gathang stupa.

Finally, for all other matters bibliographic see Dan Martin’s extensive online Bon bibliography.

Afterthought on the date of the Miran documents

While we know that Dunhuang was swept away from the Tibetans in the year 848, the exact date of the fall of Miran is unknown. No The Tibetan Empire in Central Asia (p.172), Christopher Beckwith states that Miran remained in Tibetan hands into the 850s, but then “passed out of the historian’s ken”. It seems likely to me that this passing out of history was accompanied by the swift decline of the fort as a functional part of the Tibetan empire. Without the imperial support network that kept these outposts going (of which we know quite a lot from many of the other wooden documents from Miran), it is not likely that they could have continued to function for very long. Their Tibetan inhabitants would then have returned to Tibet proper, or to the nearest cities with large Tibetophone populations, like Liangzhou. In their language and palaeography, the ritual dockets belong among the military documents that form the bulk of the Miran manuscripts, and thus I think should be considered a part of the culture of imperial Tibet, even if their exact terminus ad quem is not known.


Assista o vídeo: Armen Miran, Hraach, Pambouk. Deep u0026 Organic House Mix 2021 (Janeiro 2022).